• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone use a belly holster to carry concealed? If so what's your opinion on them?

I'm a big guy 300plus and I wear suspenders most of the time with my shirt tucked in. I have a hard time trying to figure out a good way to carry.

Up north where I use to live it was no problem used a shoulder harness and threw on a leather vest over it , Here it gets a bit to warm for the leather vests.

Anyone got any suggestions other then lose 145lbs. I'm working on that but it's dam slow in coming.

Anyone know who handles belly holsters in the area.

Can't use ankle holster as I can't bend that dam low.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cargo pants - pocket carry in the thigh is one suggestion. Cargo pants can be full length or shorts.

Another suggestion: I routinely carry in the hip pocket (P-238 or P-938) in a neoprene holster if I don't have the thigh pockets.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Use your shoulder rig under a western(pearl snap) shirt maybe?

Other than that I'd think and clip on iwb holster should work, academy has plenty of shapeless uncle mikes, gander mountain has galco and blackhawk, and I know tradewinds in gulf breeze/Navarre has done hume.

I know there's a vender on ebay that has a whole lotta owb cross draw holsters, I'll see if I'm not watching one of his auctions and pm you the link. Personally though, most of the time mine is in my armpit, under a jacket now and a loose snapped shirt in the summer. Maybe not the fastest but absolutly the most comfortable(for me) while sitting or standing on my own time. Either that or in my pocket.

What is the weapon, if I may ask?

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just picked up a S&W 638 airweight J frame. I currently use a shoulder holster over a tee shirt and then use a 4xx-5xx shirt over that. The big problem is
    I also wear suspenders so when out in public hitting a restroom sucks.

I need to find away to carry where I can tuck my shirt in and don't have to undo snaps all the time.

Getting at my firearm in a shoulder harness isn't a problem for me and it's comfortable but I'm use to having my shirts tucked in. I recently bought some Magellan shirts that are lightweight fishing shirts. They're ok I wear them like a jacket but even in this weather they are warm hate to see when summer sets in.

I know miss the days when I could always wear either a holster or shoulder harness and cover it with a vest .

Thanks for sharing the idea I'm still researching and open to suggestions.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've seen tuckable holsters for snub 38s at academy and gander mountain, also mikes on 29. I'm not really find of any of the three stores and I don't know if they still stock them. I had once a looper brand tuckable that was marketed to women, retention was non existant but I guess it worked. Honestly I feel like that smith was destined for pocket carry, front or rear. The plus side to that is you can waltz around your life with your hand next to or on your piece, negatives for me is between cell phone/keys/cigarettes/lighter/wallet/change my pockets get crowded.

Light bulb, maybe do a google search on sneaky Pete, my mom was looking at those once.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look at the P-Chip holster from Dead Eye Luke.honest to goodness, the thing just disappears on your belt. Worked when I was 300lbs, works even better now that I've lost a few.

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right before I left for a trip up north I picked up a pocket tuck holster at Gander Mountain. Wasn't to sure about it .
    But it's impressed me so far , comfortable while driving, easy to reach.

That S&W airweight is so light I rarely know I'm carrying it.

Much easier then using a shoulder harness.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have a buddy built like you describe, he is 6-4 about 350. He wears overalls with a chest pocket and a shirt under. He carries a Glock compact 45 in that chest pocket all the time, you never see it, not even an outline or bulge. Plus the overalls are very comfortable according to him.
    Ed

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm 6' and 300lb I got a Alien gear IWB holster. Could not have been happier with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After trying a few different setups I finally went and purchased a Smith and Wesson 638 Airweight and I use a pocket holster.

I've been using that setup for a few months now and it's comfortable and pretty easy to get to. The holster is the style with wings and while drawing the firearm it stays in my pocket.

The only down size is the limitation of 5 rounds. But hell you can't do it with 4 use the 5th on yourself.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good choice. Trust me man, put a couple hundred live rounds through it and get to know it, and take her on periodic dates of 50, and you should be able to handle anything short of the siege of nokotomi tower.

Die hard, for those of you who are cinematically impaired.

Top Bottom