• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking for a beater shotgun. Something I don't have to worry about scratching up. What would you suggest a 870 Express or Moss 500? They are both about the same price give or take $40. Pros and cons? To me they both look about the same except for where the safeties are. I don't know much about shotguns so input would be extremely appreciated.

Jagerslayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind on the 500 if you change to an ATI or Blackhawk tactical stock the safety is still on top and with a pistol grip a little more difficult to get to. I've owned both and enjoyed them equally. Lots of accessories to add to either as well.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Cant go wrong with either I guess, both proven. but I'd take an 870 any day of the week over the 500.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you looked at the Maverick 88? I dont know much about shotguns but i guess they are made by Mossberg and are very similar to the 500. Less than $200 also makes it a good candidate for a beater.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I can attest to the ATI pistol grip stock on the 500, lessons learned. Other than that both are great shotguns. Put a little extra coin in and get a mossy 590A1.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I recently went to buy an 870, and all I could find was these nasty foreign made monstrosities with nasty plastic fire control groups. Old school 870s? All day long! The new stuff they're trying to pass off an 870s? Absolutely not!

Jherexx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get the 870, first shotgun I ever bought and the only one I still have. Like you, I didn't know much about shotguns and didn't want to put too much coin into my first one. Picked one up used and got roped into joining a trap league, shot the shit out of it the first 2 years, must have ran 300 shells/week. Never had an issue, put all brands of shells into it from cheap no-names to Winchester AAs, low brass or hi brass, never a hiccup.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I recently went to buy an 870, and all I could find was these nasty foreign made monstrosities with nasty plastic fire control groups. Old school 870s? All day long! The new stuff they're trying to pass off an 870s? Absolutely not!
    I have a Wingmaster that has been passed down and killed many a winged creature. I'd take it out any day, unless your planning on doing battle a lot I'm sure an express would be fine. In that price point I'd go with the 500.

mikenjapan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Both are fine shotguns. I have both. I purchased a well used Mossy 500 for dirt cheap. It had a lot of use and looked like it had never been cleaned. I cleaned it and it shoots well and is very accurate. Probably the most accurate shotgun I have ever shot.

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I quite fond on my 870. It's the only gun I bought and actually stayed in the safe. Cleaning it is a snap and one of the easiest shotguns I have ever cleaned.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys. I guess I will just get which ever is cheaper. I am mainly going to use it for dove, crows, raccoons, and coyotes. No battle here. As long as I can get it to pattern some #4 buckshot then I am good.

mooosie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From the things I have been reading about remington and their quality issues I think I would look real hard at the mossberg. I have an 870 20 guage with deer barrel I bought new for my wife 8 or 9 years at that time I never heard of remington having problems, I took it to the range to sight in a red dot I put on it and the first shot the barrel fell off!. Not out of the reciever the silvers older joint that joined the barrel to the mounting lug came apart. The joint was black and burnt looking , definitely overheated when they soldered it. I took it back and they gave me a new barrel and I haven't had a problem since . Now hearing about Remington's quality problems makes me wonder just how long they have existed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I work on more MB then 870's if that means any thing, weak safety and trigger housing, I keep a lot of replacement safety's , by the way check out the way the slide rails are attached to slide on the Mick 88. Just my 5 cents jj

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended going with a 870. I went out the other weekend and patterned it with Federal #4 buckshot and got 9 pellets inside a 10"X10" square at 50 yards. Then just for kicks and giggles after my dad sighted in his 22 mag at 100 yards I shot two shells at 100yards. First one fell really short and the second shot I held high and went to the target and had 4 hits whether it was from both shots or one I don't know. Thought it was cool though. Then we laid the smack down on the crows that morning too. I like the gun.

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out the HAWK 982

HAWK MODEL 982 DEFENSE
    W/GHOST RING SIGHT

Specifications:

SERIES: DEFENSE
    MODEL: HAWK 982
    GAUGE: 12 GA 3" CHAMBER
    ACTION: PUMP
    BARREL: 18 1/2"
    CAPACITY: 5 ROUNDS
    CHOKE: FIXED CYL
    SIGHTS: GHOST RING SIGHTS
    STOCK: POLYMER WITH RECOIL PAD
    FEATURES: MACHINED STEEL FRAME / MATTE FINISH
    MSRP: $284.99

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd rather have a 25 y.o. 870 than a brand new Mossberg. When I was an FFL holder, I marveled at the simplicity of the mossy, but alloy isn't preferable to steel
    in a shotgun receiver. I'm not denying Mossberg has upped their game, I just like to go with what I know.

Top Bottom