• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RL-Photo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently purchased some magnus lead bullets for .40, they are the 155gr RN. I am having trouble finding load data for this round and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them. My Lee manual only lists Accurate #5, R Silhouette, Accurate #7, Ram ZIP Accurate #2, and True Blue. For the plated 155gr most listed are vihtavuori. I have unique, auto comp, tite group, longshot, sr-7625, wst, and blue dot on hand. Anyone have any data or help? I understand that you should stick with published load data but I'm sure there is something that will safely work. Also, if you don't think it is safe to use the powders I have on hand for this load please tell me why. Also my previous loads of 180 gr XTP's were cycling through my M&P well at 1.120" any longer and they started to FTF. Thanks!

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This info/pic out of the 'Western Powders Reloading & Load Data Guide Ed. 5.0 ...Picked it up for FREE at Goldmine Pawn in Alabama last month...

westernpowersreloading.jpg

westernpowersreloading2.jpg

westernpowersreloading3.jpg

Attachments

• westernpowersreloading.jpg
      westernpowersreloading.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 106
    • westernpowersreloading2.jpg
      westernpowersreloading2.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 135
    • westernpowersreloading3.jpg
      westernpowersreloading3.jpg
      93.3 KB · Views: 125
    Last edited:

RL-Photo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks bohica that was really informative, especially the warnings in the intro. I usually load the c.o.a.l. To what my manual states. However the XTPs weren't cycling at the listed 1.125" many of the loads listed have longer c.o.a.l than 1.120" understanding the pressure increases with shorter loads, if it doesn't cycle you must go shorter and lighter load correct? Do RN bullets get loaded longer due to their shape by any chance? I need to measure some factory loads to see how the measure. Could my failure to feed issues have been not enough crimp? Just thought about that as an option, I always test the cartridge by pushing it as hard as I can against my press to check for set back these didn't move so i assumed that was adequate crimp

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Regarding COAL:

This is a question we get ALL the time, & the short answer is, Which ever one
    your barrel/chamber likes!!! Yep, that turned the muddy water real dark didn't it?
    It's actually very simple.
    1-) Disassemble your pistol.
    2-) Take your barrel & run a dry patch through it, paying special attention to the chamber area.
    3-) Now, load up a dummy round, (no powder or primer, just boolit & brass). Make sure to iron out the flair.
    4-) Drop the round into the chamber, it should enter with a definite "Plunk" sound.
    & fall back out under it's own weight when you turn the barrel upside down.
    5-) If it does not look like the pic & is sticking up to far, seat a "tiny" bit deeper & try again.
    6-) When your result matches the pic, that's the OAL your chamber likes "FOR THAT BULLET"
    Different bullet weights & profiles will usually require a different OAL. But this is how you find it..
    7-) Start low with your charge & work up slow, always looking for pressure signs, which will most likely be
    excessive recoil, & your brass being thrown into the next county, & maybe a split case

Hope this helps some.... Remember, Safety, Safety, Safety & Think, Think, Think...

View attachment 27964

For all initial loads, start at 10% below maximum and work up slowly to find the right load for your weapon.

RL-Photo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the help! Jherexx I use hodgons site frequently but they didn't have lead listed, is the rule of thumb 10% under plated loads?

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the help! Jherexx I use hodgons site frequently but they didn't have lead listed, is the rule of thumb 10% under plated loads?

General rule of thumb for reloading is start at 10% below published maximum load for your particular round and work up in .1-.2 grain increments. As to jacketed vs lead I can't say I have heard a hard and fast rule.

Jherexx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I don't think there is a hard rule of thumb, but I do use the 10% rule to be safe. A great resource I use for loading lead bullets is Oregon Trail's (Laser-cast) reloading manual, I picked up in trade a few years back. It has load data on the lead bullet types they sell, I think they still sell the manual on their website. For 155gr RNSWC they have 5.0gr (min) - 5.6gr (max) for WST listed, min oal 1.126

Top Bottom