• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Goose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a new Remingtion 700 Varmint 308. Gonna use it for hunting. What type of glass. My budget is holding me to $500 to $1000. I already put a one inch DNZ MED for the mount. I guess I could change that if needed.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    FIRST --> You must realize that you will never have the perfect scope on ANY rifle. BUT .... you can do several things that will allow you to get as close to that scope "utopia/nirvana" as possible.

If your budget will allow you up to 1K$ you are all set there. In fact,you will most likely not have to spend close to that ..... depending on some other factors. However,remember,with optics you generally get what you pay for.

I used to reccomend the Leupold brand to everyone. But nowadays they have priced themselves right up there with some of the better German/Austrian optics. I have recently bought a couple of the Zeiss Terra scopes. IMO,you get what you pay for with these. The Conquest is always a great scope and you can find them at some great prices from individual sellers or sometimes at Camera Land.com

I also feel that Nikon scopes are a value for the money,especially if you want to/need to use their SPOT ON program for shooting at the longer distances.

Redfield is another scope that is worth the money IMO. They now have been taken in by Leupold however some of their glass is not up to the same standard is the Leupold glass. AND ...... some of both are kinda iffy.

Tons of people are buying the Vortex brand. They are made in the USA .... however .... where are the parts to these optics made ?? (Actually,same as other brands of optics) I have no experience owning these scopes although I have been really close to a couple that have self destructed.

I would reccomend that your scope either have an AO or a third turret for parallax adjustment. Especially if you will be shooting over 200yds or so. The power of scope you choose will depend on the distance(both near AND far)that you anticipate shooting. I would also reccomend a 50mm objective. Shooting in extremely low light conditions any power setting over about 8X is not a benefit even with some of the 56mm objective scopes.

On a 308Win I would think that a 3-9X50mm would be about the least you would want. The 4.5-14X50 Leupold is a great scope. What you don't want to happen is to get drawn in by the name of some scopes or the shear magnification. Buy quality,even if it is "only" a 3-9X50. I would much rather have one of these with the Zeiss or Leupold name on it than some tacticool bullshit scope. On my 308Win I have a Leupold 3-9X50 VX-R. This is my medium range hunter.

Bottom line ........ read up be an extremely informed buyer. Keep your eyes open for the --> GOOD DEAL from a private seller. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with John B and Sawman. I have the Conquest and the Leuopold VX-R and like them both. Another brand to consider is Meopta - Czech company that has been making military glass for a while. I have both the Meopro and Meostar and both are bright and clear with the Meostar the better of the two.

grouper22

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I too, have Zeiss Conquest and various Leupold optics. Wise purchases.

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Go to www.swfa.com . At the top of the page click on " sample list " . They've many salesman samples , discontinued lines & trade ins for a substantial discount over new . Their prices on new are pretty good too . When looking for optics it's the first place I look . I've bought quite a few from them over the years & they're first rate to deal with .

Top Bottom