• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Article from 2011. Original can be found at the link.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

I'm sure it will say exactly what you want it to say.

Complete article is too long to post here.

by Greg Ellifritz

I've been interested in firearm stopping power for a very long time. I remember reading Handguns magazine back in the late 1980s when Evan Marshall was writing articles about his stopping power studies. When Marshall's first book came out in 1992, I ordered it immediately, despite the fact that I was a college student and really couldn't afford its $39 price tag. Over the years I bought all of the rest of Marshall's books as well as anything else I could find on the subject. I even have a first edition of Gunshot Injuries by Louis Lagarde published in 1915.

Every source I read has different recommendations. Some say Marshall's data is genius. Some say it is statistically impossible. Some like big heavy bullets. Some like lighter, faster bullets. There isn't any consensus. The more I read, the more confused I get.

One thing I remember reading that made a lot of sense to me was an article by Massad Ayoob. He came out with his own stopping power data around the time Marshall published Handgun Stopping Power. In the article, Ayoob took his critics to task. He suggested that if people didn't believe his data, they should collect their own and do their own analysis. That made sense to me. So that's just what I did. I always had a slight problem with the methodology of Marshall and Sanow's work. For consistency purposes, they ONLY included hits to the torso and ONLY included cases where the person was hit with just a single round. Multiple hits screwed up their data, so they excluded them. This led to an unrealistically high stopping power percentage, because it factored out many of the cases where a person didn't stop! I wanted to look at hits anywhere on the body and get a realistic idea of actual stopping power, no matter how many hits it took to get it. So I started collecting data.

Over a 10-year period, I kept track of stopping power results from every shooting I could find. I talked to the participants of gunfights, read police reports, attended autopsies, and scoured the newspapers, magazines, and Internet for any reliable accounts of what happened to the human body when it was shot.

I documented all of the data I could; tracking caliber, type of bullet (if known), where the bullet hit and whether or not the person was incapacitated. I also tracked fatalities, noting which bullets were more likely to kill and which were not. It was an exhaustive project, but I'm glad I did it and I'm happy to report the results of my study here.

Before I get to the details, I must give a warning. I don't have any dog in this fight! I don't sell ammo. I'm not being paid by any firearm or ammunition manufacturer. I carry a lot of different pistols for self defense. Within the last 2 weeks, I've carried a .22 magnum, a .380 auto, a .38 spl revolver, 3 different 9mm autos and a .45 auto. I don't have an axe to grind. If you are happy with your 9mm, I'm happy for you. If you think that everyone should be carrying a .45 (because they don't make a .46), I'm cool with that too. I'm just reporting the data. If you don't like it, take Mr. Ayoob's advice...do a study of your own.
    A few notes on terminology:

Since it was my study, I got to determine the variables and their definitions. Here's what I looked at:

- Number of people shot

- Number of rounds that hit

- On average, how many rounds did it take for the person to stop his violent action or be incapacitated? For this number, I included hits anywhere on the body. To be considered an immediate incapacitation, I used criteria similar to Marshall's. If the attacker was striking or shooting the victim, the round needed to immediately stop the attack without another blow being thrown or shot being fired. If the person shot was in the act of running (either towards or away from the shooter), he must have fallen to the ground within five feet.

I also excluded all cases of accidental shootings or suicides. Every shot in this study took place during a military battle or an altercation with a criminal.

- What percentage of shooting incidents resulted in fatalities. For this, I included only hits to the head or torso.

- What percentage of people were not incapacitated no matter how many rounds hit them

- Accuracy. What percentage of hits was in the head or torso. I tracked this to check if variations could affect stopping power. For example, if one caliber had a huge percentage of shootings resulting in arm hits, we may expect that the stopping power of that round wouldn’t look as good as a caliber where the majority of rounds hit the head.

- One shot stop percentage - number of incapacitations divided by the number of hits the person took. Like Marshall's number, I only included hits to the torso or head in this number.

- Percentage of people who were immediately stopped with one hit to the head or torso
    Here are the results:
    .25ACP

# of people shot - 68
    # of hits - 150
    % of hits that were fatal - 25%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.2
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 35%
    One-shot-stop % - 30%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 62%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 49%
    .22 (short, long and long rifle)

# of people shot - 154
    # of hits - 213
    % of hits that were fatal - 34%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.38
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 31%
    One-shot-stop % - 31%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 76%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 60%
    .32 (both .32 Long and .32 ACP)

# of people shot - 25
    # of hits - 38
    % of hits that were fatal - 21%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.52
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 40%
    One-shot-stop % - 40%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 78%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 72%
    .380 ACP

# of people shot - 85
    # of hits - 150
    % of hits that were fatal - 29%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.76
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 16%
    One-shot-stop % - 44%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 62%
    .38 Special

# of people shot - 199
    # of hits - 373
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.87
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 17%
    One-shot-stop % - 39%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 55%
    9mm Luger

# of people shot - 456
    # of hits - 1121
    % of hits that were fatal - 24%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.45
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 13%
    One-shot-stop % - 34%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 74%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 47%
    .357 (both magnum and Sig)

# of people shot - 105
    # of hits - 179
    % of hits that were fatal - 34%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.7
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 9%
    One-shot-stop % - 44%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 81%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 61%
    .40 S&W

# of people shot - 188
    # of hits - 443
    % of hits that were fatal - 25%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.36
    One-shot-stop % - 45%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 52%
    .45 ACP

# of people shot - 209
    # of hits - 436
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 2.08
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 14%
    One-shot-stop % - 39%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 85%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 51%
    .44 Magnum

# of people shot - 24
    # of hits - 41
    % of hits that were fatal - 26%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.71
    One-shot-stop % - 59%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 88%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 53%
    Rifle (all Centerfire)

# of people shot - 126
    # of hits - 176
    % of hits that were fatal - 68%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.4
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 9%
    One-shot-stop % - 58%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 81%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 80%
    Shotgun (All, but 90% of results were 12 gauge)

# of people shot - 146
    # of hits - 178
    % of hits that were fatal - 65%
    Average number of rounds until incapacitation - 1.22
    % of people who were not incapacitated - 12%
    One-shot-stop % - 58%
    Accuracy (head and torso hits) - 84%
    % actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) - 86%

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want it to say .357 Magnum/.357 Sig = Awesome. Hey! You're right, Nate!

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What I take from this article is that it doesn't make a hill of beans of difference what pistol cartridge you choose until you get up to 44 magnum and that isn't practical for EDC.

And .357 SIG is a 9mm, not a 357 so not sure why it is grouped with the .357 magnum.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah, a 357Sig shoots a .355" bullet.

The Sig and the 357mag are grouped together(IMO)because they will put out the same power if bbl lengths are equal. This is precisely why I am a big(huge)fan of the 357Sig as a EDC gun and a carry gun when hunting or working around the club. I own all three,Glock 31,31,and 33. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    First off ..... I could care less as to what firearm you carry to protect yourself and your family. Same as what pickup truck you drive or what color of Caddy Es-ca-ladde you come to the BBQ in. We all try(or should try) to make informed decisions about certain topics. I do this(and have done this) concerning firearms that I use for hunting,formal/informal target,or SD/HD.

Given this,my decisions might have not always be right .... problem is .... define "right". I remember waaaaaay back reading some of Marshall's stuff and Hatchers Notebook,the premier,absolute best,of the "one shot stops" or "fight enders" was the 357Mag / 125gr / @ 1450fps. This combo always came out better than the 44Mag or 44Special. Back in that time frame the 40Short&Weak and the 357Sig was not even thought of so they were never added to the data.

I do remember that the 25ACP came out (in some cases) even WORSE than the 22LR and it fell waaaaay behind the 22Mag. There was always some interesting debates between the 9MM and the well loaded 38Spec. The 32H&R mag was not around then as was the 327Fed so they were not added/tested to the reports. None of the high tech dragons teeth,fragmenting,inside out,filled with bird shot,or powdered crap,bullets were around then either. Even the solid copper or the partition/H frame bullets were not here yet.

Then ... throw into the mix --> If you hit a perp two times in COM with a 38Special vs once with a 357Mag,which would be more incapacitating ?? How about three shots of 22Mag vs one shot of 9MM. Yeah,you can work out the energy formula,but would this be a good indicator of the effectiveness. Shit .............. I don't know. All I know is that I'm showing up at the BBQ carrying my discolored slide Glock and driving my muddy pickup truck. ---- SAWMAN

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This was a pretty good read for me in that my truck gun is a cheap 25acp (laugh it up) I see that the 22lr did better in stopping power but i find that the little semi guns in 22lr jam or dont fire(bad ammo,dud) more offen than a center fire round for me at the clay pit.

I wear a 380 S&W body gaurd and bring a G17 to truck in the morn. But the 25acp stays in it over night so i just dont want a expensive gun left in truck over night but am afraid what if i rush out to truck late for work with no concealed carry or G17, at least a gun is there.

And from looking at results appears that all carry pistol calibers r close enough for me. Im not gonna carry a 44 or 38spl but i own both, 44 home protection (inherited) 38spl is boat gun (only rusty gun i have)

And the only reason i even own a 45acp is cause u cant collect guns and not have 1911's. But they r to heavy,big and to few rounds for me to have a use for them in real situations. (carry or hunting)

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah 9mm Glocks are the best and most accurate especially for follow up shots, Ranger 147gr are killers...you can go to a 45 if you have an inferiority complex...lol

Right Dan? Oh and pretty guns shoot better too...

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK so did i miss the thread where Dan and Sawman had it out and became epic enemies? And if so and no body messaged me to look before deleted then ur all fired!!!

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Yes stan , you missed it , sawman gave his advise and I thought a good bit of advise ( funny with the truck ) and dan chewed ass and refered to northern swine , a little agresive but 'each to his own . Whats the story in ten words or less . Maxfold

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    yeah 9mm Glocks are the best and most accurate especially for follow up shots, Ranger 147gr are killers...you can go to a 45 if you have an inferiority complex...lol
    Right Dan? Oh and pretty guns shoot better too...
    Lol! Hey, if that's what shoots best for you, power to you, brother.
    OK so did i miss the thread where Dan and Sawman had it out and became epic enemies? And if so and no body messaged me to look before deleted then ur all fired!!!
    "You can do anything you want to a man, but do not f*ck with his Cadillac"
    Really though, we're all big boys, we can take a little heat, and it's all really just for entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Hahaha, Costas n Cadillacs...Anywho, I read this article before and lends some worthy info. Thanks Nate. As far as BBQs go, if there's a dress code of fugly glocks or fancy 1911s I'm SOL I guess. ;)

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Hahaha, Costas n Cadillacs...Anywho, I read this article before and lends some worthy info. Thanks Nate. As far as BBQs go, if there's a dress code of fugly glocks or fancy 1911s I'm SOL I guess. ;)
    I'll loan you either one if I get invited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom