• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do any of you lefties carry a revolver? If so, what technique do you use to quickly reload it?

I know Charter Arms makes a mirror image revolver in 38 Special and I'll probably get one but I really like the Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I just don't think a regular revolver would be appropriate for me to carry with the reloading being as awkward as it is (for me). Appreciate any tips/techniques.

Southpaw.jpg

5027_zpsf631d490.jpg

Attachments

• 5027_zpsf631d490.jpg
      5027_zpsf631d490.jpg
      10.8 KB · Views: 188
    • Southpaw.jpg
      Southpaw.jpg
      9.2 KB · Views: 185

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Smith and Wesson bodyguard 38 is supposed to have a ambidextrous lever near the top strap instead of the traditional lever. That may be an option, it is also supposed to have the new "u" rear site, which i like.

Just had a thought: of course it would be all together more convenient, but if the main concern is carrying a reload for ccw, I would not be in a rush. I'm sure people will point out how flawed I am in this thought process, but I don't carry a reload for my j frame. I can't see myself in a situation where I need more than 5 shots(which is why I carry a snub), and even with speed loaders it's not exactly a fast action. I would sooner carry a second snub, but at that point a glock 26 or a keltec p11 or even a makarov starts making more sense. Just my view, I'd still want a revolver set up for my handedness, but I wouldn't feel under armed if you had a traditional revolver already.

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't carry revolvers, but if I did I would use the following technique to reload. Skip to 4:30 for us lefties.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Think I solved my problem...S&W No. 3 Schofield with a 3.5" barrel and a moon clip mod.

ca853-schofield-3.jpg

Still want the Southpaw too. Any other technique using a revolver designed for right hand use, including the one in the Ayoob video, is just downright clumsy.

Attachments

• ca853-schofield-3.jpg
      ca853-schofield-3.jpg
      12.9 KB · Views: 135

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sweet! revolver. However, do you reload? because last time I checked 45 colt rounds were super expensive.

steve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do any of you lefties need a holster for a Ruger MKI, MKII or MKIII? I have one that I have no need for. 20141227_164849.jpg

Attachments

• 20141227_164849.jpg
      20141227_164849.jpg
      100.3 KB · Views: 115

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Really no need for a "lefty" revolver, about as necessary as a "lefty" 1911. My technique has always been to cross the left hand thumb over the backstrap on the last shot, push the cylinder release latch forward, push the cylinder out with my right(support) hand, holding the thumb tip in one of the cylinder flutes, three fingers cradle the revolver and first joint of right hand index finger depresses the ejector rod, while left hand has speed loader ready to refresh.
    Lots of guys always tried to speed things up, thinking retaining the revolver in gun hand for the reload would accomplish this....it doesn't. The fastest guys I ever shot with, all switched the revolver to weak hand to perform the reload. From last shot, to the first shot of the reload, a decent time would be around two seconds and change, Ive seen Jerry Miculek do it in around 1.3-1.5...pretty damned fast.
    With practice, you will adapt just fine with a revolver, no need to find a solution to a problem that just doesn't exist.

Top Bottom