• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So yesterday I went to the range with some friends. Took 700 rounds of Wolf Gold 223 55gr, Federal XM193, M855, and some Monarch 223 steel case to see if my AR would cycle steel case. So as I was shooting the Wolf (which is apparently loaded to XM193 specs) I noticed the shells were only kicking out about a foot from my AR same with the 5.56 XM193 and the 5.56 M855. Now when I got to Monarch Steel 223 that stuff flung out about 10 feet. Now I did run some through my friends AR and his they flung about 10 feet. We switched out buffer tubes and my AR still did the same thing. Then switch out bolt carriers and mine finally started to fling them about 4 feet. I had so many malfunctions yesterday when I would start doing rapid fire and getting failure to eject and double feeds. I am using Pmags which run fine when using them. Now the Promags are a different story (they suck). I am just confused to why my AR isn't throwing the spent cases very far? I talk to my dad we though it could be the buffer spring but I tried my friends and it did the same thing. Maybe extractor?

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From my experiences with cycling issues, I would suggest you check the gas system for leaks. Also, make sure your gas key on your BCG is secure. Make sure the gas tube is clear and not partially obstructed.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I hadn't fired my M16 in years. Took it out to let my visiting brother shoot it. Failures to extract, resulting in double feed. Cleaned the heck out of the chamber, less failures, but still had some. Took bolt apart. Extractor looked perfect under magnification, but the extractor rubber O-ring around the extractor spring looked a bit flat. Put new rubber O-ring in and fired 70 rounds full auto with no failures to extract. Number 60 O-rings for about $2/10 at Lowes.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If this is a build, check your gas block alignment with the gas port of your barrel.

Also, if I remember correctly, Monarch produced lacquered steel cases. This lacquer has been known to gum up the chamber and can cause brass shells to stick. This could lead to some malfunctions.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If this is a build, check your gas block alignment with the gas port of your barrel.

Also, if I remember correctly, Monarch produced lacquered steel cases. This lacquer has been known to gum up the chamber and can cause brass shells to stick. This could lead to some malfunctions.

All brass was shot first. I am going to check my gas block alignment. I don't understand why steel flung farther I don't think it was loaded to higher pressure than the 5.56

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    All brass was shot first. I am going to check my gas block alignment. I don't understand why steel flung farther I don't think it was loaded to higher pressure than the 5.56

The steel case does not expand as much as brass in the chamber resulting in less ejection effort. This also allows more fouling to pass through the chamber and into the BCG. Your symptoms sounds like a gas leak/canted gas block

Last edited:

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My last build with a ARP barrel did the same thing. I took the upper off and cleaned the chamber real good with a brush and solvent and no more problems. This was with a brand new build, not shot before. Good Luck figuring it out.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Plus one on the gas block being out of alignment. Second runner up would be a loose gas key. Keep us posted when you find out what was causing your issues.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was looking at my gas block and gas tube. Everything seems alright. I think I might just have an over size gas port in my barrel and my rifle is getting over gassed. I was doing some research and thinking I am going to try a heavy buffer and another thing I saw was my friends buffer spring in his AR is about an inch longer then mine. Anyone know why? He is running a carbine to but also a regular carbine buffer. I just think ky AR is not getting enough "dwell time". Or maybe I sound crazy lol

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I put a flat spring in my guns and it helped the ejection angle a lot. There are around 27 dollars from Tubb's. Well worth the money. I tried the T2 buffer, but really didn't make a much difference. The spring did the trick. They are Superior Shooting Systems if interested.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I forgot to mention this before, gas blocks also have to be aligned front to back. If you have a M4 profile barrel, you have to account for the spacing of the hand guard cap. The gas block cannot be flushed with the cut/bevel or you can partially cover the gas port.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys I might be a little lost can you explain a little more? Yes I do have the M4 profile also I have a low profile gas block to if that helps. This was my first build I am taking all help. Thank you.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    you have to align the gas block over the gas port vertically and along the axis of the barrel. usually with the handguard cap just jam the gas block against the handguard cap and you are good to go. if you remove the handguard cap sometimes you can push the gas block too far aft. how close you need to be is dependent upon the specs of your gas block. some are tighter than others

Top Bottom