• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have some Wolf Gold .223 55gr FMJ thats have sealed primers and sealed bullet and was thinking that it would be good to store away. In that note how do you store your ammo? I was thinking about using my vaccum sealer and keeping them in the 20rd boxes and making the "200rd battle packs". What do y'all think? Or advice on storing ammo would be great. :usa:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Store it?

You don't shoot it all as soon as you get it?

No I do, but when I shoot it I have to wait for me and friend to have the same day off. I hate going to the range and just punching paper at 100 yards.. I usually buy 1000rd bulk packs and currently have 2000 rounds of .223 on hand and figured I would store away 1 of the 1000 round packs for a "rainy day". Trust me I shoot it. I have 600 rounds set a side for sunday when I go to my friends property.

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep mine in surplus ammo cans. I shoot a lot of 1940-1960 surplus ammo and it always goes bang. Vacuum packing would work but I have seen a bullet pulled out of the shell case by the vacuum (new cheap commercial ammo, not military surplus). Rare but it happened.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I keep mine stored in 50cal ammo cans. With the large silica packets that change color when they need to be changed. Never have any issues.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep mine in surplus ammo cans. I shoot a lot of 1940-1960 surplus ammo and it always goes bang. Vacuum packing would work but I have seen a bullet pulled out of the shell case by the vacuum (new cheap commercial ammo, not military surplus). Rare but it happened.

Thats why I was going to keep them in their little 20rd boxes so they don't poke through. I was going to use and ammo can but I already have a vacuum sealer on hand. Do you put any little packs that suck out moisture like you find in new shoes? Forgot what those packs are called.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If its in your house in a climate controled environment it doesnt make a difference how its stored. Put it on a shelf n a box or just stack it up. Now if you store it in the garage, out in the shed, etc... then you should seal it from the elements. Not so much for the powder but to keep the brass from corroding.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mine are stored in their boxes on a shelf or in ammo cans. I have some that I bought several years ago that are in sealed plastic bags. All of my ammo is kept in the house. I even have some .45ACP and M2 Ball ammo that is from WWII that is doing just fine.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    like this stuff? what year you think this is ?

Attachments

• IMG_6332.JPG
      IMG_6332.JPG
      43.1 KB · Views: 134

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep mine stored in 50cal ammo cans. With the large silica packets that change color when they need to be changed. Never have any issues.
    That's what I do. Plus I throw in those little desiccant packets that come in pill bottles, etc...

104nk0i.jpg

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something I sometimes use are empty coffee cans. Snap the lid on and duct tape it. They are free and I always have plenty,They are stackable and will fit in the RV compartments.

Edit,Guess I should have said Plastic Cans. Don't think coffee comes in cans anymore.

Last edited:

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep all my ammo seperated by manufacturer and lot, NEVER MIX ammo. Had to send a couple of thousand rounds back to Georgia Arms twice due to failures in casing. if they had been mixed up I would never have got my $$ back, or figured out which ammo was bad. After that I have a seperate safe just for ammo.

Top Bottom