Target Sports

What if the Military Has Been Focusing on the Wrong Thing the Whole Time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    thanks for the post.

Short version...

"no amount of training can replace the determination and the willingness to fight for a cause"

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    we are attempting to train illiterate goat farmers..no schooling, no tactical training ever, it would take a generation to train them properly but they must be able to read and write first..

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was an embedded trainer with the ANA. It was tough going. Different mindset altogether. No sense of urgency and lack of discipline. Convoys are like herding cats.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Viet Nam should have told us something(IT DIDN'T) Now 2 more wars and will it teach us anything? NOPE. You can't win those kinds of wars. At best you will just fight to a draw.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is a myth that our enemies are achieving tons of success. In the media, our enemies will always win, because the media is also our enemy. But make no mistake, we kicked ass in Afghanistan and Iraq. The reason those people fail to help themselves now is because they couldn't to begin with. That part of why we went in the first place.

Another note, when we train people and they succeed, it stays quiet that we trained them or people ignore that we trained them. The Northern Alliance did a good job for years in Afghanistan and nowadays, no one seems to care that we trained them. The Kurds in Iraq are kicking ass and have been great fighters for decades. We trained them, no one cares. The South Korean military is pretty decent as far as militaries go. We built them from scratch after the Korean War. No one remembers.

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Vietnam should have taught us that politicians should stay out of wars once they start. The US Army kicked ass in Nam. The politicians and idiot hippies are why we "lost".

You ABSOLUTELY CAN win those wars. But you HAVE TO let loose the killers and be willing to be as ruthless as the enemy.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You ABSOLUTELY CAN win those wars. But you HAVE TO let loose the killers and be willing to be as ruthless as the enemy.
    No doubt in my mind that politically correct Rules Of Engagement hamper our forces.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe I should have said you can win those wars if you want to stay in those countrys for the next 50 years. South Korea.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I said this since day one when we were all spooled up training the Iraqi troops back from the beginning of Gulf War II...Our forces would give some future date to train 'x' amount of troops...and the damn taliban were training as they go, kinda like the opening scene from 'Enemy at the Gates'. Its a farce. You either fight for a cause or you wont fight. Chesty Puller said it best...

" Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America—because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race."

That's why we fight like hell

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Military is great at waging and winning wars, it is when the politicians get involved in nation building that there is a disconnect.

Exactly. The military focuses on the orders given by the politicians appointed to govern them.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The American public doesn't have the stomach for war, the politicians and the conventional military has zero clue how to run FID/COIN operations and hampers efforts at every turn. I spent the last 13 years(98-2011) of my career doing FID/COIN and it was both the most rewarding and the most frustrating 14 years of my life.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was an embedded trainer with the ANA. It was tough going. Different mindset altogether. No sense of urgency and lack of discipline. Convoys are like herding cats.

In training our Air Force maintainer counterparts, it's pretty much the same scene. The folks that were supposed to get training didn't come in until they felt like it, stop when they feel like it for breaks and then head home by 2 in the afternoon. That's before all the mandatory prayer sessions. It takes the better part of 6 months to get through an 8 week training syllabus.

I especially like the reference to determination. It seems there may have been more of a WILL SURRENDER attitude in place of a CAN DO mentality.

Last edited:

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Top Bottom