HD Tactical

What Factory .270 Ammo Do You Use For Deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought my son a new Ruger American .270 for his birthday and I have never shot a .270. It's going to be his long range (200-300) yard deer gun. What have you guys that shoot .270's found to be a good accurate factory round for deer at that range? I'm also looking at reviews online and it looks like 130-150 grain bullet is the way to go.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hornady ammo has been pretty good. Take your pick on which bullet type from soft points to ballistic tips. The SP are the old tried and true projectiles. The SST produces some pretty results.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My buddy has had good results out of 130gr. corelokt in his 270

+1.... I've killed a lot of deer with those and they all dropped like a box of rocks... Less than $20 a box too, usually..

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    +1.... I've killed a lot of deer with those and they all dropped like a box of rocks... Less than $20 a box too, usually..

Hmm, on 2 different forums I now have 4 votes out of 6 or 7 that vote for the core-lokt, might have to have him give those a try first! Thanks for the input guys!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 30-06 loves 180 gr core lokts. My .308 loves Federal Fusion 165 gr rounds. Just have to find what works best for that particular rifle. The way I do it is I start with the cheapest rounds and see if I can get good results. If my rifle shoot the cheap stuff fine, I stop there. But if not, I move on to slightly more expensive rounds till I find the right factory round that will work good out of my rifle. That way I get away with the cheapest and most easily found round out there.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like to core lokt psp 130 gr in my .270.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the American Whitetail by Hornady. It is loaded with a 130gr Interlock bullet. This is my first year with a .270 but previous years I have used the SST and the American Whitetail put of my 30-06. Both bullets are devasrating. I wish Hornady still made the custom with the SST. That was my favorite load. Great ballistics and the down range performance is awesome. The American Whitetails both out of my 30-06 and .270 group about an inch. I mean it is all really six in one hand half dozen in the other. Just pick up a couple different boxes of 130gr and see what groups the best then use that. Fusion, SST, Interlock, Corelokt, PowerPoints, any hollow points. Dead deer won't know the difference and if they group about an inch. 200-300 yard will be a very capable shot.

Last edited:

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Start with the least expensive, plane jane, lead core bullets and stop experimenting when you find one that gives you the accuracy you want. Hornady American whitetail, federal blue box, remington core lokt, winchester power points, etc... etc... The dead deer doesnt give a crap if you spend $20 per box or $60 per box. Dead is dead and the regular ole lead core bullets work just fine.

For shots up to 300 yards sight a 130 grain bullet 2.5" high @ 100 yards and you will be no more than +or- 3" of your crosshairs to 280 yards. If the deer is 300 yards away hold at the top of the deers back and the bullet will drop right in the chest.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well we searched all over the place for 130 grain core-lokt and it was sold out everywhere we went. We decided to go with 130 grain Winchester Power Points and my son was putting holes in the bulls eye 1 inch apart at 110 yards after 5 shots to adjust the scope. Now I just have figure out time around his basketball schedule to get him more time in the woods hunting.

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They are great, I shoot them in 150 gr an hornady sst in 130 gr. both shoot great and are accurate

Top Bottom