• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    Does anyone have one of the high end programs & could run some numbers for me ?
    I am shooting a 6.5x55 120gr Sierra MK HPBT over 41.4 grains of CFE-223 in a 16.5 1/8.5 twist barrel,,,, no chrono
    The load is putting 5 or 6 shots in the same hole at 75yds & I was wondering if I'm getting enough velocity out of it for long range

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JBM or Strelok is free.
    I have the KAC ($30) Bullet flight but it can be cumbersome.
    Also the load doesn't really matter. Its best if you have the true speed to input, IMHO.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow,,,,,
    I'm getting 3362fps out of a 16.5in barrel according to that link Signal
    Damn I gotta get a chrono before I blow something up
    I wish it estimated pressure too

Just realized I screwed up the bullet weight & my reference load is thru a 24" barrel & mine is just 16.5"
    So I guess a good est. would be about 2417fps
    & I gotta pressure warning

Last edited:

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me know if you want to run it across my magneto speed. 2417 sounds like 6.5 Grendel numbers

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since you are re-loading, if not imperative, you at least need to invest in a Chronograph, before a shell explodes and takes your hand/face with it. You'll know instantly if you are over-charging. I'm sure there is someone willing to loan you theirs until you can buy one. just saying, and g/l

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have a difference of opinion. You go by the book. You do not exceed the recommended powder charge. Take under consideration your primer and type of brass used. For the "high speed" rds like the 6.5X55 figure 30fps up or down from what the book uses for bbl length. Your twist rate will not matter unless you are loading "on the edge". Especially a slower rate than in the book. And even then a 1/2 turn or even a full turn don't equate to nothing.

Your speeds and pressures will be so close that you can easily compute the drops. The reloading books will not allow you to do anything stooopid if you follow them and do not try to load right up to the MAX allowed. A medium/warm load will be more accurate than a "on the edge of blowing a primer" load anyway. The extra velocity that you will attain will be so damned small that it will really not amount to any great trajectory saving even out at the further distances.

All in all .......... just follow the book. I reloaded for years before I ever got a chrony. --- SAWMAN

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Let me know if you want to run it across my magneto speed. 2417 sounds like 6.5 Grendel numbers

Gotta love the Magneto Speed. The pic below I am using the Magneto Speed V3 and the Green Chrony with printer to clock some .308 subs.

3525ir8.jpg

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So how did the magnetospeed compare? I had the v2 and had nothing but good results.

The Magnetospeed does great, but I still use both. I use the Green Chrony mostly for the PCP Air Guns. Was just checking the new Vulcan .25 a while ago and getting 1010 FPS with a 30gr .25 Pellet not bad at all.

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Partner if you were closer to Pensacola,,IM reading up on our forum members loads being worked up to safe shooting myself,,,I did invest in a crony a few yrs ago after talking with SAWMAN about blowing my PT-99 Taurus using the dippers in our Lee die kits,,, Luck for me 2 ways No bodily harm and Taurus warranties back then was outstanding,, Back then I would go by the Lyman and Lee Charge charts and start low and shoot lowest first then a factory round to compare ,,then go to next grain up on loading chart till the load felt close to a factory round of same bullet weight as what I wished to use,, I have brought many rounds back home and used a puller to disassemble what I knew was going to be hotter than the loads store bought,, Then as SAWMAN stated about pressures ,,I would locate powders with lower pressures on the manuals to save stress on brass and chambers,, I have learned a little GOOD Scales and a crony is nice to have,and fellow sportmen who have already achieved the goal I was seeking is a big + with this ,, GLW / the loads,,,olecarver

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Most (if not all) of the free programs on the interweb will not accomplish what the OP was asking.
    You will need to find someone with Quick Load or something similar that you can actually input which powder and how much. They will spit you out a approximate pressure and speed. ---SAWMAN

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Someone did that for me a couple of years ago on another forum Sawman,,, but Ive managed to lose track of the thread. I remember he told me I was well below max pressure & should find another node with a few more grains but I wanna be sure before I blowup a 112yr old gun.
    Kinda hoping someone nearby would have the Quickload

Latest posts

Top Bottom