DK Firearms

Chaps got his first hog early this morning!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    and I got one also, right in the brain. Here is mine: DSCN2673.JPG

130 pounds. I had just sprayed her down to cool it off, prior to a friend coming over to pick her up and butcher it for his family. She's now been picked up for butchering.

Chaps shot his hog right in the shoulder and through the lungs where he was aiming. Hopefully he'll take and post a pic of his. There was a sounder of 19. We stalked them in the dark, checking every few seconds to make sure they hadn't moved away. Chaps did the countdown, and we both fired at the same time. It felt like forever before the countdown started. It turned out that the initial hog he was going to shoot moved, so he had to pick another big one, thus the countdown delay. Meanwhile, the one I was aiming at turned facing me, so I did the brain shot instead of neck shot. The estimated distance from the hogs when we shot was 80yd.

More of the story...Chaps and I were walking closer to 3 probable deer, to make sure they were deer prior to quitting for the night. Meanwhile, Sawman had spotted the sounder to the right of the deer. It was thought that Sawman was kidding when he said there were a lot of hogs until we swung our night vision and thermal to the right and were shocked by what we saw. Sawman had no idea we didn't know about the hogs when he did. The hogs did cooperate by slowing moving closer as we stalked them.

Chaps used his 5.56 AR with my handloads of Sierra 65gr Gameking bullets. I used a 300 Blackout SBR suppressed with Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip bullets.

Attachments

• DSCN2673.JPG
      DSCN2673.JPG
      192.9 KB · Views: 252

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What a neat night. It started out slow with a few deer sightings and a fox. After a few hours we decided to head to another field and scout around. As Bruce mentioned, Bill told me there was a huge group of hogs about 500 yards out to the field to the right. For some reason I thought he was joking and I also thought Bruce over heard Bill, but didn't seem to have a reaction so I thought the joke is on me. Lets all watch chaps stalk these pretend hogs. Well, as stated he wasn't kidding. We all got within 75 yards of the hogs and came up with a game plan. I planned to shoot the big one on the left and Bruce would shoot to the right. Bill would provide cleanup. After we decided on the count, we crouched down and my hog turned straight at me. I decided to shoot the hog to the right which was broad side. Bruce dropped his on the spot and I hit mine in the shoulder. I lost track of my hog and Bruce was able to see him down and put another round in him to make sure he was doa. It was exciting with a few minutes of chaos. We gutted him at night and my buddy came over this morning to help me clean him. Thanks Bruce and Bill for an exciting night. Btw this was the most hogs we've seen at one time. We found the entrance and exit wounds through the ribs in the forward part of her chest cavity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 233
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      31.7 KB · Views: 239
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 236

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Damn ........ reminded me of them Texas boys ..... freakin' hogs everywhere. Long time since I seen a sounder like that.

We started looking at "possible" hogs,then something that looked like deer but could be hogs. All the thermal targets were off slightly to our left as we slowly walked a road in the middle of a harvested peanut field. I finally took a look to the right and my screen turned white with hogs. Funny ....I moved in close to Chaps and whispered to him ... "there is freakin' hogs everywhere". Later as we talked about it,it seems he thought that I was just pullin' his leg.

After we was all "on the same page" it took about 20 minutes to slowly move to within range. Stars was out and the moon was starting to rise. To our advantage the moon was small and dim. Plenty of ambient light for NV though. We were in the open field so..........

Looking at the sounder I could not determine which was the dominant sow. I did notice that out of the 19+ hogs there was not one <30lbs. Half of the hogs were >50lbs or so. Several clearly 120+.

Great night. Many thanks to Chaps for allowing me to share this adventure. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Chaps, you was wondering about your shot/hit. Thinking back on it I saw the two hogs on the ground almost immediately. Obviously one was Bruce's. The other was yours. That load/bullet DID do it's job. Your hog might have lived another couple of minutes but would not have been able to stand up. Your shot placement was good and so was them handloads. Good shootin'. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yeah, and in the excitement I saw Chap's hog struggling (I didn't know who had shot it, just that I hadn't, and I didn't want it leaving the field, so I shot it to make sure). Yes, I got kidded about shooting it, but previous experience says do not let the hog exit the field as you might not find it in the surrounding wilderness. I was glad to see that the Sierra 65gr Gameking bullet did fine (I had loaded some for Chaps to use hog hunting, but had never shot game with it before). The family I donated mine too was very appreciative.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Daezee what would it cost me or what I got to do to get you to put my crippled old ass on a hog I want one sooooo bad

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Daezee what would it cost me or what I got to do to get you to put my crippled old ass on a hog I want one sooooo bad

It isn't easy (but it's fun to be out hunting) like on TV shows or in magazines. I went out with Sawman 13 nights over the course of a year before I got my first hog. I think it's been 4 or 5 nights now without even seeing one. Don't know if they've went elsewhere for food (lots of deer feeders now mean it's easy for the hogs to find food) or our presence has chased them off the farmer's fields we've been at (we have killed six in his fields) or they've eaten up the remains of the peanuts. The surrounding area where we believe the hogs live is a no hunting allowed area. I don't own the property where we've been (but have permission to hunt hogs and coyotes) and don't have the authority to give hunting permission, but if we continue doing a good job of killing or making the hogs leave, more opportunities may open up with that land owner on some of his other properties. Farms surrounding my little hobby farm do know to call me if hogs invade their property, so there are possibilities there. My non-farmer neighbor has told her relatives with their large farms in north Santa Rosa County to let me know if hogs come, so there may be more opportunities in the future. Another farm wants the hogs gone, but we aren't allowed to go out during deer season, as the owner deer hunts.

I counted up the families we've given hog meat to and got 8 families so far this year I believe, with more requests waiting. We are just 3 guys who know each other and feel safe hunting in the dark with each other.

Do you have night vision or thermal equipment? We spot with thermal and then stalk with thermal (Sawman and I) or night vision (Chaps). Without a means to see at night, you are "in the dark". I don't think that stalking with a green or red light would work. My thermal has to go back to the factory to replace a broken battery contact and battery compartment cap. I hope to ship it next week when they send me a RMA number, and will be out of service for a few weeks.

Go to Craig's List. Do a search for "hog hunt". There are opportunities there where you pay a reasonable fee.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i will most gladly put you on a hog ... guaranteed ... for $1000.00 cash in advance. that is about what it wii cost me to adaquately prep the property ... my hunting club ... for your hunt.

lemme know and we can meet up for the cash in advance payment and the proposed dates. --- sawman

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I delivered a frozen ham this morning. Delivered a smoked backstrap Friday. Another frozen ham was delivered Wednesday. Have now run out of hog meat to give away.

Top Bottom