• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 155SprtFsh

Banned
    What are your thoughts?

Had the pleasure of jury selection today what fun not. Two of the trials involved the use of guns. During the selection for the third jury the States Attorney asked all the potential jurors’ if they owned guns, what caliber, how many did you own and if you had a permit to carry. As you know the clerk reporter is recording all this information and by the time she got through with me I think her fingers were purple. Also, he “SA” mentioned that he owned a S&W .40 what the “F” I don’t believe this information should be made public information especially since the potential criminals waiting to be tried….now have this information.

Should I have pled the 5th? Or is this standard practice now days…………………

bohica793

Master
    Since the carry permit is public information, I can see answering that question. As to the rest, I probably would have stated that I did not believe it to be of relevance and to be private in nature. And court transcripts are available to the general public unless sealed by the court.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Do court transcripts include the jury selection process? I'm shocked if it is.

Telum Pisces

Master
    When I was almost chosen for a murder trial, the suspect sat in most of the jury selection question periods!!!! I thought it was unusual to have them in there when the DA and the Defense attorney were asking us questions. But there he was. Accused of murder and sitting there in front of us while they asked us questions. Luckily I was dismissed in the last round of questions.

305RSlc

Expert
    Unfortunately, I don't believe that pleading the 5th is your right during Voir Dire since you are not being criminally charged with anything which means you are not implicating yourself by answering any questions. I could be wrong on this, but there is TONS of reading out there about voir dire and it's legal precedence, unconstitutionality, and rights (or lack thereof) of potential jurors during the questioning process.

In addition to what you had to answer, as if that question has any relevance if it is supposed to be a "random selection of one's peers, what about a situation where someone's record has been sealed, but they are asked about previous run-in's with the law? That could potentially cause harm because now, what was once a sealed and non verifiable bit of information, is now public record for potential employers, friends, family, etc. to see. Fun how you become a criminal by "doing your duty" eh?

305RSlc

Expert
    I could see if they asked if you own a gun ...but to list everyone you own and the caliber type ....by the time I mentioned AR you should have seen their faces!!!!!!!!!

I would argue the reason for the request and it's relevance to the case. The judge would probably jump in to admonish you to "answer the questions" which you could remind the judge that your ability to be impartial could be swayed based on the intrusive nature of the questions which could compromise the defendants ability to get a fair trial, i.e. getting ticked at the prosecution or defense based on putting you on the spot. Again, just the idea of these things becoming public or even the courts having information on you that is non of their business is the disconcerting part.

Don't worry, them knowing is for your own good anyway.... :nono:

SAWMAN

Master
    Do I own guns ?? Yes or no ..... that's it. Any more than that I would have to be directed by the judge and then I still might have some questions of my own.

I know .... I'm a dick. :argue: --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom