DK Firearms

Anybody use a Trijicon RMR as there primary optic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hadn't heard about mag tactical before, learn something new every day. Seems like it's very similar in the metallurgy that bcm uses in their kmr rail system.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They can't out in decent numbers about the time the market started dropping. I think they decided to start dealing direct too because all my distributors started clearing them out at significant savings over normal dealer cost. Not sure how the alloy compares to the bcm. Had actually looked at the kmr for this but the ap was several ounces lighter.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A rmr mounted too a pistol has a little bit of a learning curve but once you learn it you will be pleasantly surprised just how much faster it is.

The biggest mistake most people make is they try to look for the dot. When I teach red dot pistols I tell students to ignore the RMR, use their normal draw stroke and get on their iron sights like they normally would. If you do that the dot will appear with no additional work involved and the learning curve is decreased quite a bit.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They can't out in decent numbers about the time the market started dropping. I think they decided to start dealing direct too because all my distributors started clearing them out at significant savings over normal dealer cost. Not sure how the alloy compares to the bcm. Had actually looked at the kmr for this but the ap was several ounces lighter.

I figured that the AP would be much lighter, and while I dont use my rifles like a sledge hammer, I can be pretty rough on them and Im not so sure I would trust carbon fiber.
    Don, I know that now. But when I first started messing around with a pistol mounted RMR I was taking a break from any kind of training. My wife and I decided to have another child and quickly found out that the doctor was going too be very involved in the process. Needless to say my shooting and anything fun related has slowed down to a very slow crawl for the last eleven months.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It took me two range trips to learn to use a handgun red dot. Once I did, it's AMAZING! The speed and accuracy is incredible. Good handgun shooting takes sight alignment and trigger control, the red dot takes out the human error factor in sight alignment, just line up the sights, watch it appear on the target, mind your trigger finger and boom: there it is.
    I had the tritium RMR. At night, and in sunlight, it looked great to me. I still would prefer the battery one as I didn't care for the color much, but the peace of mind was a huge factor for me.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since I didn't see a response where anyone actually HAD an rmr on an ar I will chime in avtech. I am running an rm06 (3.25 moa led adj) as a primary on a palmetto and like it very much. I have it mounted directly in front of the rear backup sight. It has the triji riser mount and gives me absolute cowitness with a2 post. Very rugged and fast. I would highly recommend if you want a light carbine. I used the rifle recreationally and in the ga swamps as a pig rifle. Optic shines there as well. Edit....I guess first responder had one on a .300. My bad.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No problem. It has gotten a little off track at points but I don't see that as a bad thing.
    What made you decide to mount it that far to the rear of the upper reciever? I'm not saying your wrong by any street but normally you tend too see optics mounted as far forward as possible? Was it because of the tendencies shown by pistol mounted optics or is it just a personal preference?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I ended up with the 9 moa model. It's bounced around between a couple platforms. Like it for 50 and in. Would just pay a little extra for an aimpoint micro for anything past 50. Haven't tried the led models.

One of the above was an AR. Original comment still stands.

Since I didn't see a response where anyone actually HAD an rmr on an ar I will chime in avtech. I am running an rm06 (3.25 moa led adj) as a primary on a palmetto and like it very much. I have it mounted directly in front of the rear backup sight. It has the triji riser mount and gives me absolute cowitness with a2 post. Very rugged and fast. I would highly recommend if you want a light carbine. I used the rifle recreationally and in the ga swamps as a pig rifle. Optic shines there as well. Edit....I guess first responder had one on a .300. My bad.

Why have a RMR/Micro forward on the rifle? Benefits? I put mine closer to the rear of the rifle. Interested to hear other reasons as to why front/rear is better.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a couple of the 12.9 MOA dual illuminated models one on an AR mounted on an ADM mount and it works fairly well. I also have one on an AK using the midwest industries co-witness mount, also works ok, have only had each of these rifles out a few times. Like others have said, they suffer from washout when shooting from dark to light (like under cover at the range) but I do like the reticle and the simplicity.

I also have an adjustable LED model, and in retrospect, I think that it is probably the way to to over any of the dual illuminated models. It eliminates the chance of wash out issues, although I prefer the triangle reticle of the dual illuminated models I have to the regular dot.

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Most pics I've seen had the mount forward, that's why I mentioned it. I just like the glass closer to my eye for less obstruction around the target. Also when carrying the carbine I have my left thumb over the forward receiver rail. So a rear mount clears this area.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Most pics I've seen had the mount forward, that's why I mentioned it. I just like the glass closer to my eye for less obstruction around the target. Also when carrying the carbine I have my left thumb over the forward receiver rail. So a rear mount clears this area.

Anybody else? I'm along the lines of Midnight for the optic to the rear.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody else? I'm along the lines of Midnight for the optic to the rear.

Nope, I find that the closer it is to the rear the more of a tube effect I get which leads to a smaller field of view. By moving it to the front of the upper receiver the housing disappears from view giving a better field of view. YMMV....

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I also bought a fastfire 3 and put it on a vz-58. I tried it forward and also found I liked it closer to the rear sight. Most definitely a personal preference deal. Btw the ff3 is a nice sight but not near as rugged as the triji. But at one third the cost it's hard to beat.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey man, if it works for you than rock on! You'll never hear a bad word out of my mouth about some bodies gear and the way the run it as long as they are safe and having fun.
    I've looked at the fast fire before but like you said the Trijicon is way more durable and if things can't be described with adjectives like rugged and bomb proof than there is a better than even chance I'll break it and soon.

Top Bottom