HD Tactical

Anybody use a Trijicon RMR as there primary optic?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in the process of building a lightweight AR and am giving serious thought too giving a RMR from Trijicon a try as my primary optic. Does anybody here have any experience running one in this role?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have one on my 9" 300blk and before that it was on my 12.5" MRP. I like it, but it seems to be one of those things that you either like or don't like.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know what you mean. I have one on a glock that took a little while too get use too.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know what you mean. I have one on a glock that took a little while too get use too.

Yep, I've been using them on Glocks since 2010, an Uzi since 2012 and liked them, so I figured I would try one on a rifle.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How did you mount on the rmr on the Glock?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I ended up with the 9 moa model. It's bounced around between a couple platforms. Like it for 50 and in. Would just pay a little extra for an aimpoint micro for anything past 50. Haven't tried the led models.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Django, I had the slide on my glock milled, tapped and threaded too mount my rmr on it.
    Little Jack, I have aimpoint micros on most of my rifles now and while I like them a lot I'm always looking to see if anything would work better. The rifle in question is more of a twisted experiment too see how lite I can make a rifle that can still stand up too hard use. I won't say that it'll be used for home defense, but after my second child is born and everything settles down I plan are taking shooting classes again and figured I would try to built a feather weight carbine for that purpose

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ended up with the 9 moa model. It's bounced around between a couple platforms. Like it for 50 and in. Would just pay a little extra for an aimpoint micro for anything past 50. Haven't tried the led models.

The tritium versions look good on paper, but are less than optimum. The dots are too large, the dot washes out in a variety of lighting situations, the led is the only way to go. I am currently using a total of 5 RMRs and haven't had a battery die unexpectedly yet. I change them every September just like I do on my Aimpoints and lighted reticle scopes and all is good. Even if a battery dies I have backup iron sights on everything.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The tritium versions look good on paper, but are less than optimum.
    I haven't experienced it first hand with a RMR but like yours, mine is the led model. I have experienced it with a set of night sites though and after reading a article that Ted Yost wrote about tritium I'm not sure I'd ever buy anything tritium again.
    Anyways, thank you for all the input guys. It is much appreciated!

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't experienced it first hand with a RMR but like yours, mine is the led model. I have experienced it with a set of night sites though and after reading a article that Ted Yost wrote about tritium I'm not sure I'd ever buy anything tritium again.
    Anyways, thank you for all the input guys. It is much appreciated!

The problem with them is that the tritium isn't bright enough to be visible in daylight and when you are in a dark area the sight relies on the tritium which is overpowered with you're shooting from a dark area into a bright area.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Django, I had the slide on my glock milled, tapped and threaded too mount my rmr on it.
    Little Jack, I have aimpoint micros on most of my rifles now and while I like them a lot I'm always looking to see if anything would work better. The rifle in question is more of a twisted experiment too see how lite I can make a rifle that can still stand up too hard use. I won't say that it'll be used for home defense, but after my second child is born and everything settles down I plan are taking shooting classes again and figured I would try to built a feather weight carbine for that purpose

4lb 13oz without optic. That's without NFA, pinning or getting crazy with removing material. Light ain't cheap.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys and sorry about the thread derail. Having my slide milled looks like the best way to go. Just need to save up/ sell something and throw down some cash.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    was about to order an M&P but thinking of getting the core and a red dot for the winter carry. I have only shot red dots on shotguns and I didn't really use it. Really considering a M&P with RMR for my winter carry. Still tossed up if there is that much benefit over regular sights or even xs big dots.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's pretty frigging light Little Jack. What profile barrel did you use on that? I've got a bcm elw profile barrel on my bench slated for this build but I'm considering putting it I'm my lathe and turning it down some more.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    was about to order an M&P but thinking of getting the core and a red dot for the winter carry. I have only shot red dots on shotguns and I didn't really use it. Really considering a M&P with RMR for my winter carry. Still tossed up if there is that much benefit over regular sights or even xs big dots.

Have you tried the XS big dot?

And I want to know more about that light weight AR a well.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A rmr mounted too a pistol has a little bit of a learning curve but once you learn it you will be pleasantly surprised just how much faster it is.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A rmr mounted too a pistol has a little bit of a learning curve but once you learn it you will be pleasantly surprised just how much faster it is.

Faster is what I'm going for. I'm considering it for my Glock 19C.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's a .625 profile. Mag tact upper and lower, ap carbon handguard, K grip, low mass bcg, minimalist stock, standard buffer and tube. Haven't shot it yet.

Top Bottom