• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok Guys.. or Gals,
    I have never built or owned a AR pistol, so this will be a first. I have narrowed down a few uppers, and need some help deciding on what to go with.
    If you could chime in with your .02 and the reason why I would appreciate it.

1: http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/a67306d653db497dbbd8ef87380acb33 (10.5 complete upper)
    2: http://www.tacticalambush.com/AR-15-105-Upper-Receiver-556x45-by-Tactical-Ambush-_p_284.html (Upper minus BCG)
    3: https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_208_27 (Upper minus BCG)

Price is as follows
    1: 399.99 complete
    2: 279.00 w/o BCG charging handle
    3: 310.00 w/o BCG charging handle

Thanks guys
    (disclaimer) Yes I know none of these are Tier one operator worthy and not Noveske, BCM, or DD.. But its what I can afford so please keep that in mind if your reply is to suggest an alternate upper ( My budget allows $400 for a upper)

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    DonR has a 12" upper for $400 or so. It's a Daniel Defense. I can't imagine even thinking about one of these, when you can have one proven to run and built by some of the best in the industry. Especially when the inherent design of a short barrel AR already has the cards stacked against it. Just my honest opinion.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Ok Guys.. or Gals,
    I have never built or owned a AR pistol, so this will be a first. I have narrowed down a few uppers, and need some help deciding on what to go with.
    If you could chime in with your .02 and the reason why I would appreciate it.

1: http://www.karrisguns.com/catalog/product/a67306d653db497dbbd8ef87380acb33 (10.5 complete upper)
    2: http://www.tacticalambush.com/AR-15-105-Upper-Receiver-556x45-by-Tactical-Ambush-_p_284.html (Upper minus BCG)
    3: https://www.hardenedarms.com/ecProduct_208_27 (Upper minus BCG)

Price is as follows
    1: 399.99 complete
    2: 279.00 w/o BCG charging handle
    3: 310.00 w/o BCG charging handle

Thanks guys
    (disclaimer) Yes I know none of these are Tier one operator worthy and not Noveske, BCM, or DD.. But its what I can afford so please keep that in mind if your reply is to suggest an alternate upper ( My budget allows $400 for a upper)

I do not mean to be a jerk, but is there any particular reason why you do not want to go to a 7.5" barrel? Am I to assume that you are going to be using a SIG Brace and building an AR pistol that is really a pseudo-SBR? Frankly, I like the 7.5" barrel on an AR pistol. After all, it is a pistol. That is what I went with and I really like it. It shoots well and is pretty accurate, even out to 100 yards. Here is the catch, no SIG Brace, just a pistol buffer tube.

As far as that "tier" crap goes, forget it. That was made up several years ago and has demented the minds of many. When it comes to an AR pistol, the primary concerns are the barrel/gas port, BCG (M16 carrier and an extractor upgrade), and the buffer (H or H2). I run an M16 BCG with a BCM extractor upgrade and a "H" buffer. It runs very smooth for a 7.5" AR.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes it will be a pseudo sbr with a brace, I was thinking 10.5 for carbine gas system, and I want a longer barrel then 7.5

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The last two AR's I built were in 7.62x39 and the pistol has an 7.5" barrel. Not sure if I would do a .223 that short though.

0109141508_zpsaeb558e9.jpg

762x39AR_zps9e45898b.jpg

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yes.
    No.
    Hmmm. Obviously never read up upon.
    Uhhh OK where's the foil.

On the "No" one.. thats true you dont have to do a trust.. however you have to do fingerprinting, LEO sign off, and you are the only one who can touch the weapon, with the trust, anyone who is a "trustee" can use it.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why not just stamp it?
    Serious question.

I have a trust and fixing to stamp a couple of things and fixing to get another silencer to add to my collection. The only silencer I don't have now is a .30 Looking at the YHM TI QD rated up to 300 win mag.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I went with a 10.5" barrel vs the 7.5. I wanted the extra 3" due to the fact I want to be able to accurately shoot at AR rifle ranges. With a 7.5" barrel you will be lucky to push 1800-1900 FPS due to the fact of not a complete burn. 10.5 you are pushing 24-2500 FPS. A lot more range before going subsonic which is roughly 1140fps. Just my .02 worth.

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why stamp it makes it harder to sell if you want to get rid of it not to mention cost to stamp. Slap a sig brace on the pistol pretty much an sbr.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I looked at the sig brace and honestly didn't like it. It felt flimsy and its a bit much price wise. Another alternative is the pistol stock kit put out by Thorsden customs. Here's the link. Just some food for thought.

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/STANDARD-AR-PISTOL-BUILDERS-PACKAGE-x4345533.htm

http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/ENHANCED-AR-PISTOL-BUILDERS-PACKAGE-x3607311.htm

These are the 2 different models they put out. The only difference is the enhanced version has QD mounts and the standard one does not.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I went with a 10.5" barrel vs the 7.5. I wanted the extra 3" due to the fact I want to be able to accurately shoot at AR rifle ranges. With a 7.5" barrel you will be lucky to push 1800-1900 FPS due to the fact of not a complete burn. 10.5 you are pushing 24-2500 FPS. A lot more range before going subsonic which is roughly 1140fps. Just my .02 worth.

My 7.5" AR pistol is fairly accurate at 100 yards. People seem to forget that they are building a pistol, not a full-size carbine or rifle. If you are going to use the pistol for a range toy and want rifle accuracy, why even bother? I keep my pistol loaded and in a place where I can grab it, if needed.

As for the SBR issue, my ideology is that you either build a real SBR (tax stamp and all) or you build a real pistol (without a SIG Brace or anything that resembles and performs like a stock). In today's AR world, there is a lot of complacency when it comes to building SBRs. Since the introduction of the SIG Brace, more and more guys are building AR pistols with them and treating like a SBR instead of going the route of doing the paperwork, getting the fingerprints, the CLEO sign-off, writing the $200 check, mailing it off, and waiting for several months to get a tax stamp. Several people mention that it is difficult to take a SBR out of the state and this is true. My question is, why would you need to? Why do you need a SBR or an AR pistol to go hunting? AR pistols, like SBRs, are a close quarter weapon. I know that a couple of you here like to attach them to your ATVs when you go hog hunting, but why not use a 14.5" AR with a pinned muzzle device as opposed to an AR pistol or SBR? This is an age old subject and there are many different arguments for each side of the issue. I just wonder what many of you would do if the SIG Brace had not been approved by the ATF and never was made available for sale.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Tackle, my AR pistol w Sig Brace is my primary hunting hog weapon, accurate and effective, not a range toy and paper puncher. 8.5" barrel 6.8 is dead on from 40-125yds and easy to handle in the field. SBR and Suppressors should be non NFA items, it is a hassle to buy a trust and pay 200 for a stupid stamp for each one, there is no need w a pistol, that is why I have it and not a SBR stamp..The Sig Brace has been approved the way I use it so getting a SBR would be foolish for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom