• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StraightShooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot in the PSC Days for Clays tournament last Saturday at Quintette and had a blast. Used my old Browning A5. I'm actually considering getting a new 12ga and wanted to know what recommendations everyone might have for a sporting clay/field gun. Trying to stay in the $500-$800 range. I've looked at the Beretta A300 Outlander, CZ 912 Tom Knapp edition and Weatherby SA-08 for semi-auto. I think an o/u will be out of my price range.

Looking forward to feedback!

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Think about resale value when you pick. If the bug bites you, you will want to trade up and a gun that has no resale value will just make a great tomato stake. Maybe a little pain up front will save you a lot of pain later. I have used 11-87 Remingtons with good result for years-they will cycle just about anything, will last forever, are a proven design and are a great value. A lot of the guys I hunt and shoot with use Benelli's and Berettas and love them. Most important is gun fit. If you go to the skeet range out there on a Wednesday morning the guys in the Santa Rosa Skeet Club would be glad to give you some pointers on gun fit and let you handle their guns. Gander Mountain in Pensacola has a huge selection of guns to try out for fit and Mike at Outdoor Sports in Jay has a great selection and Mike is very knowledgeable. Just my 2 cents

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Some of those shots are tough with any shotgun, lol I would really talk to the club members for such advice. There is a member here , Tonyd , I think who shoots with the club. I have shot both Rem 1100 and the A5 and like them both but still not hittin some of the stations???. I wonder if anyone ever shot a perfect run?

Last edited:

Chads

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I generally shoot 2-3 rounds of sporting clays a week. I prefer to shoot a O/U however I have a browning auto I use as well. It's all gonna come down to fit. My clay guns have been fitted my hunting guns have not. If it fits you will shoot better. When it comes down to make/model try to stay with a B gun. Browning, beretta or Benelli they are a lot easier to sell to upgrade. If you watch the forums they will pop up with some deals I know of 2 that should pop up soon they might be a bit out of your range but one you would be able to do it all with fully adjustable stock. Or the beretta a300 is a good place to start for a new gun. If you ever want to learn more or shoot a couple different guns let me know I shoot Thursday's and Sunday's I will let you shoot some of mine to get a feel for different guns.

Last edited:

StraightShooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great info and thanks for the feedback. I have been to Gander Mountain and have handled several of the 12 ga there. Thanks for the pointer to go by there on a Wednesday morning. I'll be sure to adjust my schedule to be there and talk to them.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally have had to rethink my weapon a few years ago after shoulder surgery and I have moded a Remington 1100 Premier 30" by porting, Timney trigger, modifying the forcing cones, Mercury damper, quality extended chokes and couple stock mods. For me it is a good fit and can always find parts, everyone has their 2 cents. Best thong is to be safe and enjoy the sport!!!

StraightShooter

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for everyone's input. I found a very lightly used Browning Gold Sporting Clays 12 ga and look forward to getting it out to shoot.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You know, if you ever have the problem again, just drop by Quintette, tell the guys on the range or in the club house what you are trying to do and most will take you out and let you shoot their gun or guns just to try one. You shooting 4-8 rounds out of one, sure is not going to hurt it. I carry a 425 or 525 Browning OU and a 391 with me. I usually show up on my green Club Car cart with the 101st, Recondo patches decals and Senior jump wings decal . If you see me, come by and shoot some.
    Ed

Top Bottom