• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Asking for money.

This past Saturday, and today, I have been asked for money by boy scouts outside of Gander Mountain. (I know, too expensive but it's the only place that has the bullets I shoot.)

Now, I have no problem with these kids selling stuff, or having a car wash or something, hell, sell me a $5 bag of popcorn that I can eat while walking around the store.... but GIVE you money? NO. I'm 26yrs old and work my ass off to have what I have, and if I decide to GIVE someone money, it'll be on my terms.

So anyways, last week the little kid runs up to me and asks for some money... I always respond with, "all I have is my card and no cash" which was true at the time... he looks all bummed out and I go into the store.

This week, same situation, hell, I think it was the same kid... asks me for money to which I say I only have my card, no cash...

"Oh it's ok, we have a credit card machine!"

Really now... so now that I don't have an out, I ask if it's just a donation, and they don't have anything to sell... which it is... I tell him I'll see how much I spend and to catch me on the way out.

Buy a box of Hornady American whitetail .308 (because no one else in escambia county keeps them in stock?) and a coke... 28ish bucks.

I actually get a call while walking out, which was convenient because the kid had already spotted me coming and I don't want to say no... but damn man.

You can't at least wash my truck or something? I'd pay them $30 bucks for that...

Maybe it's just me, but this grinds my gears.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    He figures if you got money to go to gander mountain you must have plenty to throw around! Ha Ha Always keep a few coins in your pocket for the pimps.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No kidding. Ammo was 8 bucks more than at Academy, but they've been out the last 4 times I've been.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He figures if you got money to go to gander mountain you must have plenty to throw around! Ha Ha Always keep a few coins in your pocket for the pimps.

+1 ... I keep a few singles in my front pocket just for this reason.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My standard response to all of the panhandlers (and yes, they are panhandlers) is "Not today". I donate to charity but not by handing out cash on the street. I have no trust that in a lot of cases it is not going in their own pocket.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Daphne Walmart seems to have people outside always asking for money. I think it was the Daphne Trojans football was asking for money and one of the moms was like shaming people who didn't donate to their local team. These are the days that I enjoy target.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Could be mistaken but I think Mikes had a sale on the whitetail ammo this weekend. And yeah, I'm all for charities but man it seems like every time you turn the corner someone is asking for money. I gots kids man!!

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I’m not in the mood to give I just ignore them but I’m an old curmudgeon and they think I don’t see or hear too well. :whistle:

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What about the "BUMS" on EVERY intersection. Thats the worst. Feed the rats and they will come back for more

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What about the "BUMS" on EVERY intersection. Thats the worst. Feed the rats and they will come back for more
    I saw a lady at the corner of brent/davis put her sign down to answer her cell phone. I had to resist rolling down the window and giving her a piece of my mind.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    When it comes to solicitation, I don't give money to anyone, for any reason, ever...
    I'm nice when I'm solicited in public, but knock on my door and I might get rude.

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my new thing is to be stern and shun them and give a shitty look, I dont like feeling im in new orleans when i am at tom thumb

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Asking for money.

This past Saturday, and today, I have been asked for money by boy scouts outside of Gander Mountain. (I know, too expensive but it's the only place that has the bullets I shoot.)

Now, I have no problem with these kids selling stuff, or having a car wash or something, hell, sell me a $5 bag of popcorn that I can eat while walking around the store.... but GIVE you money? NO. I'm 26yrs old and work my ass off to have what I have, and if I decide to GIVE someone money, it'll be on my terms.

So anyways, last week the little kid runs up to me and asks for some money... I always respond with, "all I have is my card and no cash" which was true at the time... he looks all bummed out and I go into the store.

This week, same situation, hell, I think it was the same kid... asks me for money to which I say I only have my card, no cash...

"Oh it's ok, we have a credit card machine!"

Really now... so now that I don't have an out, I ask if it's just a donation, and they don't have anything to sell... which it is... I tell him I'll see how much I spend and to catch me on the way out.

Buy a box of Hornady American whitetail .308 (because no one else in escambia county keeps them in stock?) and a coke... 28ish bucks.

I actually get a call while walking out, which was convenient because the kid had already spotted me coming and I don't want to say no... but damn man.

You can't at least wash my truck or something? I'd pay them $30 bucks for that...

Maybe it's just me, but this grinds my gears.

I can get the 150gr white tail for $19 a box out the door. Let me know if interested.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I feel ya on that. My fiancé is always wanting me to give money to them or donate when a cashier asks for money for a charity. I don't mind donating but heck I can't trust where it's going with all the scandals I've seen in the past. Anyone remember Kony 2012? Plus, most businesses donate to charities then ask you for your donation to recoup their spending and then get a tax cut for their donation. What a scam! Who knows how much money businesses are making when they get donations! They donate a million then ask you for donations until whenever and whatever amount then the gov gives them a tax refund percentage. They are making money at the end of the day. Not saying the scouts are like that but I don't know that.

Plus, like you said, we work our butts off for the little money we get each check. I work outside 12 hours a day before the sun is up till it goes down in the heat, rain and cold. I don't have extra money to give bums. What kind of message does that send to the kids? Begging for money is not a way to teach kids about money.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So there was this guy who stayed at Howard Johnson's for a week in Baton Rouge. Every day he would walk out to the busy street intersection with raggedy clothes and a sign. It said "will work for food". One day, I offered him a job, and he told me "no thanks". At the end of the week, he left wearing nice clothes, paid his bill in cash, and drove off in a very nice car.

And then this one time while I was talking on a pay phone at a convenience store, a pan handler asked me for money so he could eat. Now, this guy really did need to eat, cause he was either on drugs or booze as a career. I was a poor college kid at the time and had very little money. But obviously the guy needed it more than me. So I gave him $5.00 (at that time $5.00 would get you a full meal at McDonalds). And when I went out to eat fancy, it was at McDonalds. So this guy got aggressively angry at me. I asked him what was wrong and he stated that $5.00 wasn't enough to eat. I said, there is McDonalds right across the street. He then angrily stated that McDonalds was "junk food and I don't want to eat no junk food". I told him that I just ate at that McDonalds and a few choice words. He stated "I don't know why you are mad. you gave me $5.00 so I had to try and get more from you". The lessened learned? I am all for a helping hand, but a handout just leads to more handouts, and often with a sense of entitlement. What the hell happened to the Boy Scouts? They are teaching our youths to panhandle?

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was always taught that you can't help people that aren't willing to help themselves. I don't give to charities. Hell, I work my ass off for meager, can I have a charity? What makes you so special?

That's my mindset atleast, kinda helps with that silly guilt they impose upon you.

I have given a bum a cold one once.

Cjones

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    everyone who isnt a drug crime felon who doesnt work qualifies for EBT so the need money for food scam is a total lie

i understand some guys not being able to find work, but these BEGGARS are making this town look like trash, you dont see that shit in Gulf breeze

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The ones that get me are the sports teams that want you to donate so they can travel to an away game. That's like asking me to fund your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    The whole point behind American white tail was that it was all be $20 per box regardless of caliber. Hmmm...

Top Bottom