• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongShot

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking for some Knife sharpening techniques, I sharpen all of my knives free hand with a single sided oil stone or the smith's double sided diamond stone.

I was just wondering what you guys, (or gals) do to get that razor sharp edge on your knives, what type of blade you have on what types of knives! (Convex, chisel,hollow grind.)

Post 'em below!

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting topic Sir!!, I have a few knifes an to tell you the truth don't know what blade most of them have. I have a small diamond flat metal sharpener in a leather case that sharpens pretty quick, I keep it in my boat. I also have a couple that you put togeather an that are supposed to give you the correct angle to sharpen your blade. Need to get al my knife stuff togeather an see just what I do have!! Denny

LongShot

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have heard that the sharpmaker does work well, I'm looking to get a new sharpener and a nice low budget knife for my birthday. Any suggestions?

Champ62

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had a sharpmaker for about 20 years. Every once in a while, I'll try something different, but always go back to the sharpmaker.

DaBreeze

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the sharpmaker is like $60 on Amazon.

Once I used the sharpmaker never a reason to try anything else

pavegunner1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Hear...Hear...Totally agree and love mine. Set came with medium and fine ceramic sticks and was able to acquire extra fine sticks on Amazon. Purchased a Ken Onion Work Sharp belt sanding sharpener from Cabelas when I was up in Arkansas a few months ago but haven't had a chance to use it. Wanna start practicing with it on some old cheap knives I have as to not trash/ruin a $100+ Benchmade.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone in the Panama City area with one of the Sharpmakers and willing to give a demo?

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's one I heard for when/if you just HAVE to sharpen your knife and can't find a stone.
    Use the unglazed bottom of a ceramic coffee mug! The funny thing is that it actually works!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sharpmaker for me also. Had one for at least 20 years now. IMO these are a MUST for serated edges.

I actually use the fine rods(white ones) to sharpen my Havalon knife. It basically doubles the life of the changeable blades.

The shaft of the Craftman(Sears) brand of screwdrivers work pretty good also. Use the long shaft ones that have a square shaft. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I use the compressed cardboard / carbide wheel system, like the guy at the gun show uses, simple, fast and a razor sharp edge without any blade damage, avail on ebay for about 40.00, but you need to add the grinder motor.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Here's one I heard for when/if you just HAVE to sharpen your knife and can't find a stone.
    Use the unglazed bottom of a ceramic coffee mug! The funny thing is that it actually works!

I have been known to roll down the truck window and use the top of the window glass to polish mine to a razor sharp edge, it needs to be fairly sharp to begin with.

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Wait for the gun show to come back and pay your $7.00 admission fee, then the $3 per knife. They'll be done while you're walking around the show blowing more money. Don the knife sharpener is a great guy. I've used the Sharpmaker too and it is really good. If you use the cardboard wheel, make sure your wheel doesn't spin too fast or you can heat up the blade and mess up the temper. But I'm sure they probably have a RPM recommendation for the wheel's speed so you don't mess up your knife.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a sharp maker or a steamboat for light touch up work on standard grind blades. Neither one of then are good for convex or chisel grinds. For beat up stuff or re setting the angle on a blade I really like my KME system. It's light years ahead of the lansky kit.
    As for the grinds I use. For a general slicer it is really hard too be a plain vanilla 40° standard grind. If I buy a knife that is set too a different angle then I will re-set it to a 30° shoulder with a 40° edge with my KME kit just so I can use my sharp maker for quick touch up work.
    Chisel grinds are like that annoying neighborhood that owns all the tools you don't use enough too warrant buying some for yourself. They are really great for prying open doors, punching through thin metal like the skin of a car and all the other stuff you don't normally do with a knife in your day too day life. The design of the grind also always you too use anything and everything including the steps out the back door to put a quick edge on the blade but it also hinders putting a really nice hair popping edge on the blade as well. They have their place but honestly I'm not a fan.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    work sharp knife and tool sharpener...sold by northern tool. straight edge areas only.
    best edge for the buck, easy and can sharpen any straight blade with the change of the belt.
    remove cover and it can even sharpen bush-hog blades if your savy to do such.
    it works and I have used one for several years. they make a great Christmas present for your adult family.
    amazon.com has them for $69 shipped, and no tax if you choose the right one.

Last edited:

Kubasaki

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My father uses a light bulb tube from a street lamp. I thought my old man was using a crack pipe!! It is amazing... and well I just give my knives to my father to sharpen.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know anyone in the Niceville area that performs this service? Ive never been any good using a stone, and so really wouldn't want to try it with a light bulb or a truck window, lol.

I wouldn't mind paying someone, but my goglefu was weak on this one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom