• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is a 1:9 twist bad for a ar barrel to have?

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Contrary to popular belief 1:9 is fine for most plinking ammo, usually 55-62gr or lighter varmint ammo. 69gr bullets and heavier would likely require 1:7

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so the higher the gr bullet the lower number barrel you should get? Cause I got a ar in trade with a 1:9 barrel twist

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct. 1:9 twist rate is one full rotation of rifling in 9" of barrel. So a 1:7 completes a rotation in 7" of barrel. Heavier bullets require faster twist rates to stabilize. A lot of people want 1:7 because it is mil spec but there is nothing wrong with 1:9 for 95% of shooters.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Stick to 55-62 and you'll be fine. All of mine are 1:7 with one 1:8 (which is the most accurate), but I've never fired a bullet over 62 grains through them, so if they were 1:9, I never would have noticed. But, I prefer 1:7 in general for versatility.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    1/7 twist was selected to stabilize a very long tracer round.

Twist rate alone doesn't guarantee good accuracy. Each barrel is going to like certain rounds better than others.

I've got some 1/7 barrels that shoot 55 gr fine. I've also got a 1/7 that shots 3-4" at 25yd with 55gr. That barrel shoots 62gr fine though.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My most accurate rifle has a stainless (non-chrome lined) 1:8 Wylde chamber. It'll key hole anything I've put in it including steel. YMMV.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Usually "keyhole" is a bad thing. That's the bullet going through the paper side ways because it wasn't stabilized.

You're using it as a good thing right Dan?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yes, sorry, no. I mean two nice round holes touching each other. No sideways action, that's no good. Lol, lingo, sorry.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1/9 is the most versitile twist rate for an AR, 1/7 like they said is for longer heavier bullets to keep them stable but you can still shoot tracers and 77smk out of a 1/9 barrel they just dont stabilize as well and wont be as acurate past about 100 yards, inside 100 yards m856 tracers (64gr orange tip) and 77gr SMK OTM still shoot to point of aim just dont try to use a can.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Rem. bolt 1/9 75 gr. A-max 630 Yd One shoot drop. Will do it all day. Just my 5 cents jj

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind that velocity also plays a roll in determining the appreciate twist rate. Longer barrels will generate higher velocities than shorter barrels and as a result the rpm's of the bullet will be higher for a given twist rate in a linger barrel. If your AR has a 16" barrel it will need a faster twist than a 24" barrel will need to stabilize the same bullet because the velocity will be less.

The same goes with cartridges that fire a given bullet faster. A .223 will need a faster twist rate than a 220 swift will need to stabilize the same bullet.

Also keep in mind that the length of the bullet determines what twist rate you will need, not bullet weight. For example, an all copper 55 grain Barnes bullet is going to be longer than a lead bullet of the same weight. Copper is lighter than lead so the bullets are longer.

Bullet shape also plays a roll. A round nose, flat base bullet is considerably shorter than a boat tail match bullet of the same weight. That boat tail match bullet will need a faster twist than the round nose flat base bullet.

Last edited:

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im gonna interject here, if I may.

Most arf.com'ers will scold you for suggested 1/9, but screw them. Go to walmart, academy, gander, etc. What do you find on the shelf? 55grain cheap ammo. That is why I chose a 1/9, on purpose, gasp! I knew my purpose of use was paper poppin and knew that I didnt want to shoot the heavy expensive hunting variety rounds. I also know that most, if not all, ranges will not allow shooting of tracer rounds. For 95% of people a 1/9 twist would actually be better but many get influenced by the "big names" and the people who regurgitate what they read. Not to say the "big names" dont have a point, but many dont build/buy AR15's to be battle rifles, but rather, range toys.

Just my opinion. The 1/9 will do just fine.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with most of the THEORY! Twist is important but the quality of the load far surpasses all variables....... Opinions!!! Me 1:8 24 inch Krieger Cryo'd 79gr bowtail!!

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with most of the THEORY! Twist is important but the quality of the load far surpasses all variables....... Opinions!!! Me 1:8 24 inch Krieger Cryo'd 79gr bowtail!!

damn sharp shooters.

but how many will you put down the pipe in 30 seconds? :jaw:

Latest posts

Top Bottom