• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This might be a dumb question but all my life I have only shot brass. What is the difference between Brown bear and silver bear ammo. I know what Tula is and their Polyperformace and won't shoot that through my AR. Can anyone give me any insight on Brown bear and Silver bear and is it ok to shoot through an AR? Or would you recommend it?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ain't touchin' this ...........:nono: ---- SAWMAN

It is a legitimate question. I know all y'all are really experienced with the systems and figured I would ask. Just the pros and cons to each thats all? I have never shot steel case or any of that and if it is really that bad I don't want to put crap through my AR. Y'all can make fun but it doesn't hurt to ask....

Last edited:

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are right Brandon, if I knew I would tell you, I don't shoot much, just to sight scope in, I mostly hunt so I try to use good bullets in my hunting guns. Somebody on these forms will answer your question soon, like to know myself!!!! Denny in pace!!

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Brown bear is lacquer coated, and silver bear is zinc coated= brown bear gums up works-silver bear is clean but both are steel case.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Not makin' fun at all. What I "eluded to" was the fact that this subject has quite a few differences of opinion. I definitely have mine. Others have theirs. Kinda like asking what is the best chambering for deer,or the best pickup truck. Definitely a legit question but be prepared for all kinda of answers.

Here is mine ..... for what it is worth ..... AR type actions are not made for steel cased ammo. Aren't now and never were. Also ammo that has a lacquer or polymer coating to the casing. The parts of an AR were designed to be compatible with brass cased ammo. Steel cased ammo(for lack of a better term)overworks the extractor claw and the ejector plunger to name a couple of the parts. The polymer and lacquer,after being melted,flows into the gas system and when hardened,(IMO)gums it up.

I do not own any "blasting" AR's. Mine are accurate hunters. They are not used to shoot dirt clods at 25yds to the tune of several hundred rds in an afternoon. My AR's are well cared for and are used and maintained as any other expensive tool. I have never shot steel cased ammo in any of my AR's and never will ..... no matter what the price is. It is simply not worth it ..... TO ME.

This is one opinion. YMMV --- SAWMAN

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not makin' fun at all. What I "eluded to" was the fact that this subject has quite a few differences of opinion. I definitely have mine. Others have theirs. Kinda like asking what is the best chambering for deer,or the best pickup truck. Definitely a legit question but be prepared for all kinda of answers.

Here is mine ..... for what it is worth ..... AR type actions are not made for steel cased ammo. Aren't now and never were. Also ammo that has a lacquer or polymer coating to the casing. The parts of an AR were designed to be compatible with brass cased ammo. Steel cased ammo(for lack of a better term)overworks the extractor claw and the ejector plunger to name a couple of the parts. The polymer and lacquer,after being melted,flows into the gas system and when hardened,(IMO)gums it up.

I do not own any "blasting" AR's. Mine are accurate hunters. They are not used to shoot dirt clods at 25yds to the tune of several hundred rds in an afternoon. My AR's are well cared for and are used and maintained as any other expensive tool. I have never shot steel cased ammo in any of my AR's and never will ..... no matter what the price is. It is simply not worth it ..... TO ME.

This is one opinion. YMMV --- SAWMAN

Thank you and I really do appreciate it. I was just comparing prices for 500rds and 1000 rds and paying the extra $20-$40 for brass probably will pay off in the longevity of my AR.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Bottom line is if you want to shoot russian ammo do it in a russian gun, want an AR shoot brass.

Can you shoot steel in an AR yes, do you want to maybe. There are a variety of tests out there showing it to be OK and some not so much. Have a $500 AR and want to shoot rocks use it and either fix the gun later or toss it. On a quality hunting shooter, buy brass and stick to it.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    In my 36 years of shooting M16s and AR15s, I have never shot steel ammo in any of them and never will. I have too much pride in my ARs to feed them garbage ammo. Brass ammo is the only thing I use and recommend.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have shot almost exclusively the dirty steel stuff in my AR15 rifle and pistol, due in large part to it being the only thing i could find during the madness. Mine are for fun, I dont hunt or anything so i dont mind using it, i havent had any isses other then a couple stuck cases in the 1000+ rounds ive fired through my rifle, no issues with my pistol in only about 200-300. I just keep em wet and they run fine and clean then every so often.
    I will probably start using a lot less once my stash is depleted and start using brass. But im sure i will still keep some on hand.

NWFLYJ

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you and I really do appreciate it. I was just comparing prices for 500rds and 1000 rds and paying the extra $20-$40 for brass probably will pay off in the longevity of my AR.

You can recoup some of the extra cost buy picking up the brass and selling as once fired. Sells anywhere from 20 to 40 a thousand.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I have one AR upper that steel cased factory loaded ammo sticks in the chamber after being fired and doesn't eject the empty. All my others have no problems with it. Now, my steel cased reloads work fine and don't stick in that one upper. I suspect it's because the outside of the steel case has been smoothed by the action of having been reloaded and tumbled clean.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Unless you shoot competitively for a living, get a chrome lined bore and shoot all the steel you want.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless you shoot competitively for a living, get a chrome lined bore and shoot all the steel you want.

I don't shoot competitive I just like to shoot a lot.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If you like to shoot a lot and on the cheap. Get a chromed barrel and mag dump Tula all you want.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll be the dissenting vote. If you're plinking with it or doing a fighting rifle type training class inside of 200 yards there is nothing wrong with it. My 6920 has nearly 14K of Wolf through it and still running strong with the original extractor and ejector. It still groups under 3" with M855 and 4" with Wolf. None of the steel case ammo is going to win an accuracy contest, but they aren't the spawn of satan either. Even if it were to wear a barrel and ejector out every 5K I could still afford to buy a new BCM barrel and bolt with the price difference, but in my experience it hasn't worn anything at any faster rate than any other SAAMI spec ammo.
    That said, I do have some precision guns I don't run steel case in mainly because they were built for accuracy and not the kind of shooting where I use steel case ammo.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My first response rifle is an LMT I got from DonR, I've done 300 round TulAmmo slide fire mag dumps with it and it begged for more. It is, if course, chrome lined, and I trust it with my life. Can't give a gun much higher praise than that.

Wanna shoot steel? Get chrome. I think I said that already. Sorry.

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here's my real world .02 worth.

I've seen AR's jam using brass at the worst possible times. We all know AR's have tighter tolerances than an AK. Why would you put something that has a lacquer finish in a tight tolerance weapon system or even a case that makes the extractor(major functioning part) be overworked. You won't get a 2nd chance to reevaluate you ammo choice if your platform fails at the wrong time. I'd rather pay the extra 4-5 cents per round and know if my weapon fails it wasn't because I skimped on the cost of ammo. My life(and once my family comes back) isn't worth saving a few cents for cheaper ammo.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my real world .02 worth.

I've seen AR's jam using brass at the worst possible times. We all know AR's have tighter tolerances than an AK. Why would you put something that has a lacquer finish in a tight tolerance weapon system or even a case that makes the extractor(major functioning part) be overworked. You won't get a 2nd chance to reevaluate you ammo choice if your platform fails at the wrong time. I'd rather pay the extra 4-5 cents per round and know if my weapon fails it wasn't because I skimped on the cost of ammo. My life(and once my family comes back) isn't worth saving a few cents for cheaper ammo.

I don't think I saw anyone saying it was great ammo or it should be used for duty ammo. Choose something appropriate to what you're doing; it's not that difficult a concept.

Latest posts

Top Bottom