• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    I am chomping at the bit to do some hunting this year, and dove and duck are on the fav list. However I have never duck hunted in Fla as of yet and at a loss as where to try. I know they used to hunt in the bay area of escambia river, is that still possible with a boat?? I remember when the lil island was on the south side of the bridge, they used to hunt off it with boat blinds. I know you don't want to give up your honey hole, but any advise as wher to try a few times woul;d be appreachated, I can really only make a few hunts so I won't be camping in your spot, and wouldn't mind to accompany anyone who would like to have a partner for a trip??? Thanks in advance for any input!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We used to hunt wood ducks from my boat on Escambia River. We would use the trolling motor to get back in the small little "lakes" off of Whites and Escambia. We set up 4-6 deeks and do some calling.

Most days we would get our limit. Trick is .... to let them come spiraling down to almost the waters surface. They would not have enough air speed to get going upwards at any good speed. We killed them using 7 1/2 shot out of a modified choke.
    EDIT To Add: there are several different walk in duck hunts that we used on the West side of Escambia,off of Hwy 29. To hunt in this manner go gotta use a dog. The ducks fall into the backwater lakes with deep water. I would be glad to show you these walk-ins if you were interested. Remember to have the proper permits AND stamps. Also the three shot TOTAL rule. Hunting Escambia WMA you WILL get checked. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

pavegunner1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Excellent info Saw, I grew up duck hunting in NW Missouri and sure do miss it. Always wondered how they do it down here. I still have my dads and uncles calls. Use to hunt on the Missouri river and slews in fixed blinds. Now I've got that itch again :smilet-digitalpoint

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The retention ponds along Hwy 79 had 100 ducks or more in each one, ours were redheads not sure what the others were.. Then Pigeon Creek has State nesting boxes I guess for wood ducks and there are tons in there, of course there are also gators in the creek. Went to dump hog guts in a swamp area and 25 flushed and scared me to death. We never have hunted them, not sure why.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Yes, Thank you for the input, are the lakes you speak of, in the Becks lake launch area, or north of quintette. I was thinking of trying the beck lake area for some fishing and check out for ducks.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Was just searching regs and such, looks like you need to take a lawyer hunting with you. I gave up looking for types of ducks and limits, I don't know if I have enough time to study before season. I will have to look again when I have an hour or two to kill. lol

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't think there are much lakes in becks lake itself, comeing out of becks if you take the left hand turn at fork you might like it way back in the that creek, its before you get to Escambia river!!!

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in north east Mo just north of St Louis 5 milles from the Missippi river and used to hunt wood ducks and mallards on our farm. I was a warm weather hunter and wasn't into freezeing my ass off in a blind and it was just a short walk to the crick,yep I said crick that ran through our farm. Loved shooting those wood ducks

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, Thank you for the input, are the lakes you speak of, in the Becks lake launch area, or north of quintette. I was thinking of trying the beck lake area for some fishing and check out for ducks.

Shot our limit several times at Beck's. Once you snake out of the launch there is a hard left dogleg that dead ends. In that basin, decoy & wait....

Top Bottom