• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im getting ready to load up some 5.56 for my 10.5" upper and I want to load them to make the most of the short barrel. Im using 55gr FMJ bullets with mostly 5.56 LC brass and cci sr primers.

Ive been using CFE223 with a 28gr charge for my 16" and it shoots hot but no pressure signs
    Ive also used BL-C(2) with about the same load but ive got a extra pound of IMR4198 laying around

The IMR4198 is a stick powder and burns faster than the CFE and BL-C so my thinking was even though the loads shown have 4198 down around 150 FPS thats out of the longer barrel and that the 4198 may meet or beat the slower powders out of the 10"

Anybody have any experience with tailored loads for shorter barrels or any place online that has useful info not just You'll shoot your eye out. Ive shot the IMR4198 loads before when it was the only powder I could buy but went to the others for the better velocity out of the longer barrels but the fast powder gets hot quick. Think the last ones I used about 21 grs.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Id treat it as always. Start at low and work up a load. Try different powders and bullets till you are happy, and the gun is happy.
    Im by no means an expert, but been reloading for years. Dont see barrel length changing much on an auto gun.

Top Bottom