• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cainalan03

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been shooting guns of all types all my life. Not that its gotten boring, i want to get into long range and seeing what i can do. My pockets arent super deep but here's the road im going down, feel free to throw in your $.02

I found a pre recall Remington 700 sps tactical on gunbroker for $555, that on its way after the trigger work is done by remington. I honestly dont care about the "tacticalcoolness" I hunt in PA and short barrel rifles are awesome when pushin through laurel.

Ive read a lot about the rifle and even seen vidoes of it hitting steel at 1,000 yds. It needs some work but a good place to start without drainging my bank account.

So the Hogue stock isn't really great. So heres the one i want

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...int-barrel-channel-synthetic-black?cm_vc=U112

Next, a 1 piece scope base with a recoil lug. i can justify spending $100+ when this one seems just fine

http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Extend...8&qid=1410813598&sr=8-1&keywords=weaver+20moa

Next is the scope and rings. i havent made up my mind here just yet. My budget for a scope would be about $800.

I keep eyeballing this guy (pun intended)

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-6-24x5...1410813726&sr=8-1&keywords=Viper+HS-T+6-24x50

I'll more than likely add on a bipod for the range. Im not a trained shooter by any means i could use the help holding the rifle still.

So let me know what think....

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you want to bang steel at 1000 make sure to use the 175 Sierra match king. The 168gr will go subsonic at around 800yards. Or if you reload use the 155gr palmas. They have a higher BC than the 168gr. You can hit me up if you need any pointers.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You did not specify the chambering. Guessing it is a Rem 700 SPS TAC chambered in 308Win. 20" or 16.5" BBL ??? Twist is 1:10

My gun is with the 16.5" bbl. For shooting the longer distances(which I do not)I would opt for the 20" bbl. NOT for accuracy,but for the velocity's.

The Hogue stock that comes with the gun is BS. I replaced mine with the exact same stock as you linked. B&C 2956-2. Mine has been given a camo job. The stock was a TRUE drop in fit. It is great for shooting off the bench or from my shooting house at the hunting club. I put the web of my left hand in the stocks cutout and pull back towards my shoulder.

My trigger has been worked over by me and breaks at <3lbs. If your trigger is not this light and crisp you should pick up an aftermarket trigger. My weapon also wears a brake which works GREAT. (JP)

You are more than welcome to come take a look at my weapon if you like. I will also give you any info that I have gained re. this weapon. See the thread here re. Rem 700 "X" Mark trigger recall. --- SAWMAN
    EDIT To Add: My gun absolutely loves the Sierra 155gr Palma's at max velocity.

Attachments

• DSC00994.jpg
      DSC00994.jpg
      223 KB · Views: 180
    • DSC00996.jpg
      DSC00996.jpg
      240.7 KB · Views: 176
    • DSC00999.jpg
      DSC00999.jpg
      278.4 KB · Views: 178
    • SANY0040.jpg
      SANY0040.jpg
      237.9 KB · Views: 177
    Last edited:

Blue

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the 16.5" barrel in a HS Precision stock with a Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44. It'll shoot 800 pretty well. I had problems reaching 1,000 with it.

cainalan03

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah sorry guys, i got mine in the .308 and 20". I wont be hitting anything at 1,000 yards for quite some time. my goal is the build a rifle i can grow into. Furthest shot ive made was with my AR at around 225. so this is a big leap for me distance wise. I also forgot to mention the scope base i was looking at is a 20moa. Is this good for shots less than 200yds as well? What spec should i be looking at for shooting 100-1000 yards... From other forums ive read on the .308 federal gold medal match ammo is the way to go.

As always, i really appreciate all the input. Sounds like im on the right track.

BTW SAWMAN, is the KRG bolt lift you have on yours? i saw that and looks like an amazing alternative to spending $200+ on a badger oversized bolt knob and then finding a gunsmith to put it on.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yep,KRG lift on my gun. Fit great and is a real asset to that tiny little knob thingy that Rem puts on their 700's. A couple others here are using them also.

A longer bbl would be better for the longer range thing. The 20" will serve you ......... so-so. If you do not reload,read up on the factory offerings. The 168's will probably be best for you(just guessing). You need to concentrate on the 300yd ranges ..... at least,at first. You should be able to shoot MOA out there. Realistically,if you can't,don't move out further.

The 20MOA base will not help you at 300 or even 500. It is only helpful out at the further ranges. (As long as your scope has enough range of adjustment) Don't get me wrong ... it wont hurt either. Just not really needed. And ....... more scope is much better than less scope. I would say a 20X is minimum. My long range guns had a 6.5-20X50 Leupold and a 8.5-25X50 Leupold. Target turrets are a MUST.

Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN

cainalan03

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep,KRG lift on my gun. Fit great and is a real asset to that tiny little knob thingy that Rem puts on their 700's. A couple others here are using them also.

A longer bbl would be better for the longer range thing. The 20" will serve you ......... so-so. If you do not reload,read up on the factory offerings. The 168's will probably be best for you(just guessing). You need to concentrate on the 300yd ranges ..... at least,at first. You should be able to shoot MOA out there. Realistically,if you can't,don't move out further.

The 20MOA base will not help you at 300 or even 500. It is only helpful out at the further ranges. (As long as your scope has enough range of adjustment) Don't get me wrong ... it wont hurt either. Just not really needed. And ....... more scope is much better than less scope. I would say a 20X is minimum. My long range guns had a 6.5-20X50 Leupold and a 8.5-25X50 Leupold. Target turrets are a MUST.

Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN

Like i said im new to this long range stuff. i'll be starting off at 100yds again and then moving out from there. when you say target turrets, what makes these different than normal ones? can you link your scopes so i can see what youre talking about?

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    They are the ones that you can turn with your fingers and aren't covered by scope covers.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

Versus this kind:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-ii-4-12x40mm-rifle-scope.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAjwv9-gBRD5ofn2jd2N0UUSJACcdilsS5PxrSERnj2DldQ4pZql8Kl6IyNRfX_wTh3AbeIG8RoCf3vw_wcB

The exposed turrets are great if you happen to be wearing gloves and instead of having to take them off every time to make adjustments. You will get hooked and soon you wallet will notice it. Hand loading is a much cheaper route if you ever get into long range shooting. Good luck!

Last edited:

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From other forums ive read on the .308 federal gold medal match ammo is the way to go.
    If I am shooting a match, I go with factory FGMM 175's. Otherwise I shoot 175 reloads.
    And no going against what Gendoc said, but 168rg AMax will do 1K, easily. Ive seen it. (If you can find them :-( )
    The 168SMKs, no, I agree with that.

Members online

Top Bottom