• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah. I was in the Tom Thumb the other day. It was damned hot. I went to the cooler and grabbed a Gatorade and drank it whilst waiting in line. They didnt have a problem. I dont see why this would be an issue until you leave without paying. Or refuse to pay.

But also, I have to say that I dislike these types of videos because you never really see what happens before hand, the cause. Only the effect.

My points exactly. We don't know how the dude was acting beforehand. If those security guys walked up and attempted to.stop him verbally and he came out swinging then "game on".

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I thought I was the only drinking the tea while waiting in line to pay? I always ask for a discount since I'm paying for a half empty tea... it never works. But, they never say I shouldn't do it.
    These clowns are in deep doody.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    "Loss Prevention" ------> BULLSHIT !! Anybody that tries to manhandle me had better have an active duty LEO badge WITH picture ID to go along with it. Unless I am COMPLETELY in the wrong my lawyer will see their lawyer the following working day.

This is the scenario that we cussed and discussed some time ago on another forum. This is a what if. You are in Wal Mart. You check out,and pay for your stuff. You have the receipt. As you are going out the door,they ask to see your receipt. Is it mandatory that you show it to them ?????

Someone stated that "until you leave the store,Wal Mart still owns the merchandise". If you refuse to show them the receipt they can,and have in the past,call(ed) the LEO's on you. This is super hard to believe(for me),however I am no lawyer.

In the OP,if the guy does not have something stolen on his person or a fugitive from justice,and most probably even then,he will sue the shit outta the Wal Fart. --- SAWMAN

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have ignored security numerous times when asked for a receipt when leaving Wally. Walked right by them like they weren't even there. I don't have time for that shit.

Guess Im just an asshole like that..

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you guys are funny, I for one am glad to see someone who is fed up with thiefs and gutsy enough to try to stop it. I am sure they have badges and such, and anounced themself beforehand. It went wild when the knife came out and I don't blame them one bit. Good for them, Bravo! If more people would react that way there would be lots less thiefs.

Last edited:

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Personally I don't shoplift so I don't have to worry about this, but in the unfortunate case they believe that I have shoplifted and try to detain me it's going to be one hell of a messy situation. Anyone can buy a badge off of ebay and announce to be anyone they want.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Hey TraderDan, sooooooo....your 87 year old grandmother comes out of Wal Mart. Out in the parking lot there are two guys that walk up behind her and "announce, Wal Mart loss prevention" and ask to see her bags and purse. She hands all that to them. they take all her money and walk off. Seem fair ??

"Badges and such",what kind of badges ?? That say what on them ?? That hold what weight ?? These stores are trying to combat shoplifting. I understand that. However they need to take a serious look at the implications of the lack of training. They think that I swiped something,they need to observe and call a real cop. I will not tolerate anything but. --- SAWMAN

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If my 87 year old grandmother was stealing, and when asked to stop, put up a fight and pulled a razor knife, I would assume she would get slammed on the ground also.
    Like allready stated, we do not see what happened before the taping started, sooooo... we really can't comment on who is right or wrong. But IT IS my belief that a person in the commision of a felony should have no repercussion of law suits or complaints of injuries inflicted opon him during such acts. Wether this guy deserved what he got or not?? I don't know, don't have enough facts, just think that if he was not guilty he would have complied and waited for police., and Once and IF he then found out he was being robbed????? he would have the right to defend himself will all due force, which I highly doubt was the case, these people have a job to do and are trained to some extent, and believe me they would not approach a customer unless they have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. I am sick and tired of people just stealing because they know that nothing will be done if they get caught. If someone stole from you, I am sure you would be singing a completlly differant tune.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Worked as a security guard in La for awhile at a factory and if you aren't Law Enforcement and detain someone aginst there will you can be arrested and taken to court for false imprisment. And it might end up with a civil court apperance cost you the farm so to speak. You can't even look in there hand bag. All you can do is ask to look.

Many times when loss prevention is working a store you see police cars outside the store. I have worked at Wallie World to in sporting goods so I know how Wallie works in a couple of stores and states.

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You're right dan, we don't know what happened before. They could of just thought this guy shoplifted, he could have thought he was being mugged and was defending himself with the knife. We have real cops with real badges who read statute books for a reason.

Snowbird...in florida you can be detained by employees.

3)(a) A law enforcement officer, a merchant, a farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent, who has probable cause to believe that a retail theft, farm theft, a transit fare evasion, or trespass, or unlawful use or attempted use of any antishoplifting or inventory control device countermeasure, has been committed by a person and, in the case of retail or farm theft, that the property can be recovered by taking the offender into custody may, for the purpose of attempting to effect such recovery or for prosecution, take the offender into custody and detain the offender in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time. In the case of a farmer, taking into custody shall be effectuated only on property owned or leased by the farmer. In the event the merchant, merchant’s employee, farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent takes the person into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called to the scene immediately after the person has been taken into custody.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good to know. I'll keep that in mind next time Hughjorgan stops by.

You're right dan, we don't know what happened before. They could of just thought this guy shoplifted, he could have thought he was being mugged and was defending himself with the knife. We have real cops with real badges who read statute books for a reason.

Snowbird...in florida you can be detained by employees.

3)(a) A law enforcement officer, a merchant, a farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent, who has probable cause to believe that a retail theft, farm theft, a transit fare evasion, or trespass, or unlawful use or attempted use of any antishoplifting or inventory control device countermeasure, has been committed by a person and, in the case of retail or farm theft, that the property can be recovered by taking the offender into custody may, for the purpose of attempting to effect such recovery or for prosecution, take the offender into custody and detain the offender in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time. In the case of a farmer, taking into custody shall be effectuated only on property owned or leased by the farmer. In the event the merchant, merchant’s employee, farmer, or a transit agency’s employee or agent takes the person into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called to the scene immediately after the person has been taken into custody.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm curious as to what "broke" or at least sounded like something broke/snapped, when he was slammed to the asphalt? Then the big boy says, "That F'ing hurt, didn't it"? Damn, I know it hurt. Had to have been a Jawbone, Collarbone or Arm?

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to service Albertson's (beer delivery) when they were here, and when they found a shoplifter they would anounce code ## and all the stock peolpe would dogpile the dude and carry then into the office for delivery to the deputy, I don't think they were ever sued, but you have to know they stole, most of the time they don't approach you on a hunch, they are 98% certain you stole, or they wait till next time as a thief will return once they see they can get away with it. This guy could have been inocident, but I would bet $100.00 that he was not.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Zombie, Thats good to know. Every states laws are diffrent. Hell in TX they can probably shoot you.

I wonder what would happen if you haden't stold anything and were detained? Granted they are usually pretty sure you did.

Last edited:

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Dan, it does suck, how about the guy who walks into his home and finds someone who is stealing his stuff, what then? And why do most of you conceal carry ? why not call a real cop and let him read the statues then? not hatin , just have to wonder why it's always differant when you the one in the shoes?? I certainally don't have all the answers but, try to understand, lots of folks are fed up with this socitey's children of no conciquence. Crack is Wack and the cause of most of todays problems. Peace out!!!

Top Bottom