• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bama fish head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 11 y/o daughter has been saving her babysitting money to buy her first rifle. She's at $320 and I will kick in some $$ for her as well. She has shot some of the better .22's that they offer at Styx River's youth classes and says she wants to try to get into competeitive shooting. I am going to bite the bullet and let her chase this dream. That being said, I can't go all in crazy with the $$ I spend. I am wondering what her first gun should be. I want somewhat affordable to shoot but also want it to be something that is accurate enough to not be an excuse for poor shooting. She really like the Savage stocks with the thumbhole stock. I am looking at a MarkII 22LR but have also gotten some interest in the 17s sicnce they are supposed to be so flat shooting compared to the 22's. From what I've seen good 22 match grade ammo is about the same as decent 17's, and God knows 22's are hard to find. I haven't looked for 17's so I don't know if there is a similar ammo issue with them. Is there anything else I need to consider before making a decision? Is the 17 overkill?
    Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. I only get on here every other day or so so it may take a while to respond. Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, etc.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't go wrong with a 10/22 and there are a ton of things you can do to them. I find that .17 ammo might be alittle high priced to target shoot. Check wallmart on there prices.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Agree withSnow Bird. Ruger 10/22 is a nice rifle and won't break the bank. Versatile, accurate, reliable. Aftermarket stocks and accessories are available as she progresses. Not an Olympic grade firearm, but not $3,000 either. Very good first rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a target rimfire I would stay with 22. Savage makes a Mark ii that has peep sights that is supposed to shoot with the best of them, But if my child was just starting out I would go with a pellet gun to start. Don't know if she would be into JROTC, but they do have shooting teams at most High Schools and she could get really good with a couple of years practice before getting there. CMP has a really good deal on a used 853. $100 for the gun get a bunch of pellets to go with it and build her a range at home so she could shoot till her hearts content. I have a pretty new 753 and would be happy to loan it and a trap to you to see if that would interest her.

It's just with the pellet gun she could practice at home and it would be a whole lot less expensive, Until she wants an Annie.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 17 HMR and several 22's. I have a Savage Mark II w/ the bull barrel that I love "almost" as much as my 17. My next will be the 17 WM. If you are looking fer just a lead thrower go 22 but ifin you are looking fer a tack driver fer your gurl, go 17

Z28931

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own multiple .22's, but I love my marlin 917v .17hmr. It has a bull barrel from the factory, crisp trigger pull. It's one of the most accurate guns I've ever shot. The 17 grain hornady ballistic tips are flat shooting. Walmart seems to have .17hmr ammo in stock more than .22's, and the .17hmr will stay on the shelf for a few days as opposed to 22's being gone in 20 minutes.

bama fish head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thannks for the replies guys. I could have been a little clearer on my original post. She's way past the pellet gun stage - she has older brothers and has worn their pellet guns out. I have a 10/22 and she has cut her teeth on it as well as the bolt actions that Styx River provides for the youth classes. (She also has a sweet 1100LT 20 gauge I picked up from a guy two years ago on the PColafishing forum, and has probably sot shot a couple thousand out of my Ruger and Browning 22 pistols). I'm looking for a tack driver, moreso than a plinker. I'll take alook at the marlin 917v and another look at the Savages. Thanks again for y'all's input.

RGriff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I vote marlin model 60. Then she has money left over for a good scope and ammo. I don't like the meat destruction and the way the 17hmr treats squirrels and rabbits.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Marlin 60 outshoots every other 22 I have owned. Micro groove barrel makes the difference. A bolt action Marlin 25 is awsome too.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ruger 77/22, Savage MARK II , CZ-452 or CZ-455. Out of those the Savage would be my first choice.

Top Bottom