DK Firearms

How about a Back Up Gun side match for the next IDPA match?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What kind of side match?

• Total voters

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, we've had quite a few rifle side matches and not as many shooters participate when we bring out the shotguns. I guess not everyone has a home-defense shotgun. So, what about a BUG match ? You can use Glock 26's with lower ammo count in the mag as well as .38 snubbies, etc. See the IPDA rulebook for the BUG rules. Just taking a poll. Can anyone here set up a poll for voting purposes to tally the total? Back up Gun vs. Rifle vs. Shotgun vs. bow and arrow, or slingshots? Just kidding on the last two, but I do have my slingshot with plenty of ammo !!! :smile:

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Well, we've had quite a few rifle side matches and not as many shooters participate when we bring out the shotguns. I guess not everyone has a home-defense shotgun. So, what about a BUG match ? You can use Glock 26's with lower ammo count in the mag as well as .38 snubbies, etc. See the IPDA rulebook for the BUG rules. Just taking a poll. Can anyone here set up a poll for voting purposes to tally the total? Back up Gun vs. Rifle vs. Shotgun vs. bow and arrow, or slingshots? Just kidding on the last two, but I do have my slingshot with plenty of ammo !!! :smile:

Created the poll.

I'm definitely up for a BUG gun match. The only downside that I see is that there are only 5 shots per string. As long as there are multiple strings, I think it would be a nice change. Then again, I just ordered a bunch of shotgun goodies yesterday...

The BUG gun match I saw on TV a few weeks ago didn't incorporate a draw. Is that part of the rules, or was that just match-specific?

For those too lazy to look up what classifies as a BUG...

8.2.6. Back Up gun (BUG)
    8.2.6.1. Clubs may hold BUG matches where BUG guns compete in specially designed CoFs. BUG
    matches are club level only unless approved by IDPA Headquarters as a Specialty Match. To allow
    semi-automatic and revolver shooters to compete equally, all CoFs for BUG matches will be limited to
    five rounds per string, and firearms will start with five rounds maximum per string. No reloads may be
    performed on the clock.
    8.2.6.2. A BUG match could consist of one or several stages, perhaps held at the same time as a normal
    club level match. A BUG stage could consist of a regular stage with a modified CoF procedure that
    complies with the five rounds per string limit.
    8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:
    8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.
    8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.
    8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber
    8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
    8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
    8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.
    8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
    8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs- 38 -
    8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
    8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
    8.2.6.3.1.3. Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are legal if they comply with all
    other division rules and the laser is not activated.
    8.2.6.3.2. Revolvers:
    8.2.6.3.2.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
    8.2.6.3.2.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
    8.2.6.3.2.3. Grip tape, skateboard tape, etc. may be used.
    8.2.6.3.2.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
    8.2.6.3.2.5. Bob hammer spur.
    8.2.6.3.2.6. Chamfer cylinder.
    8.2.6.3.2.7. Custom finishes.
    8.2.6.3.3. Semi-Automatics:
    8.2.6.3.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
    8.2.6.3.3.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
    8.2.6.3.3.3. Slip-on grip sock and/or grip tape, skateboard tape, etc.
    8.2.6.3.3.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
    8.2.6.3.3.5. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.
    8.2.6.3.3.6. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory
    configuration.
    8.2.6.3.3.7. Cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted.
    8.2.6.3.3.8. Custom finishes.
    8.2.6.4. BUG Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
    Refer to Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL Divisions

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I voted rifle. I can't imagine the BUG side match being much different from the regular match, aside from the decreased range and degradation of accuracy. I'm now running a P938 as a BUG because it works the same as my idpa guns or belted carry guns.
    I've not shot a shotgun match. I have a 10 shot 26" auto loader that I'm sure would be fun to run, but it's nowhere near the top of being my top choice for HD. From what I understand, people run short pumps for reliability and maneuverability, but that obviously takes a big hit in capacity. I'm personally not a fan of pumps. I feel that short stroking a pump in high is more likely than a good auto loader choking on defensive loads. In years of shooting and practicing competitive trap and skeet with a team, I maybe ever saw 2 hiccups. People praise the reliability of a pump vs auto loader though, but then the same people will run auto loader pistols instead of revolvers, so maybe it's a psychological thing. So anyway, for me, I feel like the modern hd long gun is the carbine, which can be loaded appropriately if over penetration is a concern.
    And of course, let's face it, rifle matches are AWESOME!

Just my personal and biased opinion. Worth less than it cost.
    :)

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not even out there so I have no horse in the race, but isn't the point of IDPA to shoot what you carry?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm not even out there so I have no horse in the race, but isn't the point of IDPA to shoot what you carry?

It is, I've been carrying the 938 lately, but I'm about to order a dual role owb holster for the 1911, so that I can carry the 1911 more comfortably more often, and use it for IDPA. Even if I don't feel like wearing a belt though, the 938 is a fine little gun that has the same manual of arms. Just like running a 34 for racing, a 19 for carry and a 26 or 42 as BUG. They all work the same way and the triggers are close enough. I think there's value in that, but at the end of the day, it's just a game.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish I owned a be benelli automatic....then I would love shotgun matches

I want to bring out my M4, but I am afraid of the repercussions of Jogan beating me with a pump action...

Top Bottom