• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who has experience with both Glocks and M&Ps? I have a G26 Gen4, so I know how they feel and shoot. Who has M&P experience? Is the VTAC worth the extra $$?

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL - yeah, I am late to the game. The best part about being overseas is coming back to all the new cool stuff. That and discovering "Breaking Bad" and watching all the episodes on the web in one week. :)

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If youre gonna spend money modding it then get the standard. I opted for a standard M&P and upgraded with all the APEX forward set sear and trigger kit. The trigger has a similar safety to that of a glock.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I just spent time on the range today with my M&P 9 (full size) and my buddies Glock 17 (gen 3). My M&P has the APEX mods to the Sear and striker but I haven't put the replacement trigger in....yet. As far as I know, the only mods to the G17 (gen 3) is the Ghost Spring kit.

My M&P has the factory trit night sights and the Glock has the stock whatever-you-want to call them. Seems some folks like those Glock sights but I do not. As far as sights go, I'm a real fan of the matte notch and FO post that my XDm 5.25 wears.

I picked the M&P after a head-to-head shootout with rentals at Oak Ridge gun club in Gulf Breeze. The target told me most of the tale as I just seemed to shoot the M&P ‘better’. That’s probably because of the better fit and feel of the M&P. Again, those Glock sights probably didn’t help it much.

So grip angle gets thrown in the discussion somewhere and that’s where Fit and Feel came in. The M&P was a more natural point and shoot. There is no other way I know to explain it. Sure, the GEN 4 Glocks come with Backstraps but there is more than just the BACK to a grip. Even the XDm could take a little lesson from the M&P in the grip department. I understand H&K is doing some neat stuff with their side panels and all, but H&K is a little outside my budget when it comes to a gun for IDPA and other weekend gaming.

So what’s left? Aftermarket mods. Well, it seems Glock is to the gun world what iPhone is to mobile devices. There’s a ton of STUFF for Glocks. I guess it all depends on how many holsters or magazines you need in rainbow colors.

As far the VTAC goes I only know what I’ve read – no shooting experience. The sight upgrade on the VTAC ‘sounds’ nice but I think a 6 dot system may be a little too busy for me. I can see the attraction of having both an FO and trit system and I’m sure once I shoot some kind of low-light stage with my FO sights I’ll be begging for trit inserts….

That’s my two cents.

Last edited:

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just spent time on the range today with my M&P 9 (full size) and my buddies Glock 17 (gen 3). My M&P has the APEX mods to the Sear and striker but I haven't put the replacement trigger in....yet. As far as I know, the only mods to the G17 (gen 3) is the Ghost Spring kit.

My M&P has the factory trit night sights and the Glock has the stock whatever-you-want to call them. Seems some folks like those Glock sights but I do not. As far as sights go, I'm a real fan of the matte notch and FO post that my XDm 5.25 wears.

I picked the M&P after a head-to-head shootout with rentals at Oak Ridge gun club in Gulf Breeze. The target told me most of the tale as I just seemed to shoot the M&P ‘better’. That’s probably because of the better fit and feel of the M&P. Again, those Glock sights probably didn’t help it much.

So grip angle gets thrown in the discussion somewhere and that’s where Fit and Feel came in. The M&P was a more natural point and shoot. There is no other way I know to explain it. Sure, the GEN 4 Glocks come with Backstraps but there is more than just the BACK to a grip. Even the XDm could take a little lesson from the M&P in the grip department. I understand H&K is doing some neat stuff with their side panels and all, but H&K is a little outside my budget when it comes to a gun for IDPA and other weekend gaming.

So what’s left? Aftermarket mods. Well, it seems Glock is to the gun world what iPhone is to mobile devices. There’s a ton of STUFF for Glocks. I guess it all depends on how many holsters or magazines you need in rainbow colors.

As far the VTAC goes I only know what I’ve read – no shooting experience. The sight upgrade on the VTAC ‘sounds’ nice but I think a 6 dot system may be a little too busy for me. I can see the attraction of having both an FO and trit system and I’m sure once I shoot some kind of low-light stage with my FO sights I’ll be begging for trit inserts….

That’s my two cents.

Now that's a comparison!

schavey

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Absolutely HILARIOUS!! DOLPH didn't even mention Austria. I have owned and of course shot both the G19 and the M&P9C: Comparisons are odious, but here goes.
    Accuracy--M&P; Ergonomics--M&P Build Quality-- M&P Carry comfort-- M&P........ and the ultimate certified test--~ 32,000 rounds without breaking and without a decent cleaning!!--Glock

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They do pretty much the same thing. Price point on either, to include mods, is close enough that it's not a deciding factor(for me). The glock has been around longer but the M&P has been around long enough that it's proven and has plenty of aftermarket support.

I went with the M&P becuase of the way it fits. My biggest complaint with the M&P is the stock trigger is crap. They get better but there's no comparison between stock and an Apex setup.

If you're military, and want the M&P, get it through budspolicesupply.com. The vanilla version is $400 shipped with 3 mags and another $50 rebate through smith. I wouldn't pop for the VTAC unless you wanted a brown pistol. Don't pay for "upgrades" that you'll probably swap out anyway.

I appreciate Glock but it just came down to me not liking the grip.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    True. Custom Cerakote work is fairly cheap and the best part it's custom. Get it exactly the way you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bcp280z

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really like my shield and full size m&p, but I also really like my 23. Depends on your your hands. The grip and trigger feel(exterior) are the main things, everything can be changed.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When it comes to polymer guns my nod goes too glock, but only because I am more invested in that platform. Smith and wesson spent stupid amounts of money when they were researching the ergonomics of the M&P and it really shows. Ive got high dollar custom 1911s that dont feel much better in my hand than a M&P. But were they fell flat and put a bad taste in my mouth was the accuracy. I hear it has improved by leaps and bounds but the first stuff off of the line from smith had absolutely horrible accuracy. If I was ever too start looking for a new platform though the M&P would be on my short list.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I am a Glock guy but always advise people to head to a range that rents and shoot them yourself, I cannot decide for you and know what fits you the best, none of us can.

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've shot a couple glocks and shot Ian's M&P. I loved the M&P fit right but the stock trigger was garbage. He had the VTAC and there was no benefit to the double sights.

Top Bottom