• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Let's get this out of the way first. --> A pig lives in a barn yard. A hog lives in the woods.

NOW --> Hog killin' is not rocket science at the PhD level. Any deer rifle will kill a hog. Any man killin' pistol will kill a hog if the sights are appropriate. Since you asked ..... this includes a 223/5.56 or a 357Mag. I have even killed them with a 500S&W Mag shooting a 440gr. It was a 80lb sow. Wasn't pretty.

Where to hit a hog. Duhhhhhh ...... same place as you would hit a deer. The heart/lungs are low,the spine hangs a tad bit lower,however not enough to think deeply about(ponder)while gently squeezing the trigger. (Just Shoot !!)

DRT ?? Same as you would a deer,HOWEVER --> WHY ?? A CNS hit/shock is a immediately dead and/or completely disabled hog. The bullet does not actually have to make contact with the CNS(brain/spinal chord). Remember the vids of bullets entering ballistic gel ?? Remember the shock wave ?? Then there are secondary missles(bone fragments).A good quality bullet at a decent speed,thru the heart lungs and out the other side will generally give you enough blood to follow if it ain't raining. How far ?? The damn hog is DEAD ... he just don't know it yet. His BP is dropping below zilch point shit. It very quickly will be zero.

How far will he go ?? It has been my experience,<30yds depending on thickness of the brush. Can we all track blood 30yds ?? SURE ! Note: If you are one of the "put it in his ear" guys you will surely end up with no bacon at some point. The heart/lung area of a good sized hog is the size of a bowling ball. As the hog gets smaller,your target shrinks to the size of a softball. A hog with a kill zone smaller than this,all you will need is a hotdog bun to eat him.

The use of a well made bullet is a given. NO VARMINT BULLETS !! Barnes solid copper,Nosler Partition or Accubond,and some of the others with the thicker jackets are appropriate. Your bullet should be matched with it's velocity. A bullet that will kill a deer will kill a hog. A bullet that you use to neck shoot a deer might not be the right choice to use on the shoulder of a 300lb gnarly old boar.

A hog does not take magic to kill effectively. It DOES take a general knowledge of ballistics and a dose of common sense. Good Huntin' to all. --- SAWMAN

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey saw man how yard can you be away from hog or deer with a 223/556 round? Cause some guy on YouTube say they willn't shoot over 100yrds

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have killed deer and hogs at well over 100yds with my 223Rem Benelli(the one that I have listed for sale). I target the heart/lung area also. A well made bullet will ventilate them pretty quickly. Remember that tiny bullet is moving pretty quickly so as to set up a shock wave. If it clips a rib or any other bone on the way in,even more damage.

Now ....... remember that I am sayin' : 1. you gotta use the right bullet 2. You gotta make a good hit on the animal. ---- SAWMAN

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I'm get with you on them billet cause. I got a ar15 m4 that I'm use for home defense but I mite hunt with it

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Let's get this out of the way first. --> A pig lives in a barn yard. A hog lives in the woods."

Pigs
    Although laypersons use the world "pigs" to denote swine in general, the term has a more specific meaning in the farming community. Pigs, in that sense, are immature animals that have not yet been weaned. "Pig" is one of a series of terms used to denote various stages of porcine development. Infants are called piglets, which become pigs as they become larger and more active. When weaned, they become "shoats," and females that have not yet bred are called "gilts."

Hogs
    In the agricultural context, "hog" is the generic term used for swine, in the same way laypeople use "pig." The term is applicable to any animal, in any age or condition. Specific terms exist for male swine and males that have been castrated, breeding females and immature females, and various stages of immature swine, but the simple term "hogs" covers all of these animals. An individual animal can be called a hog, or a more specific term can apply as needed.

Boars
    Boars are male swine in a general sense, but in the specifically agricultural sense a boar is a male that has not been castrated and is therefore available as a breeding animal. A castrated boar, referred to as a "bar," is generally preferred for meat production, as some claim to find a strong taste in boar meat. Castration generally occurs early in life, since castrating a full-grown boar is a difficult and dangerous task.

Wild Boars
    The term "boar" can also refer to wild boars, the ancestral or feral relatives of the domesticated hog. The two are closely related and can be interbred for specific desired characteristics. Wild boars in general are slightly smaller than their domesticated cousins and have a coat of stiff, bristly fir in browns and grays. Their young are dappled and striped for protective camouflage in the forest. With wild boar only, the females are "female boars," and the juveniles are "infant wild boar."

Latest posts

Staff online

Top Bottom