• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pnw

How much difference should there be in a 220gr and a 125gr round at 100yds 16" Model 700? I shot a foot above and a foot below and didn't hit paper...is there that much difference or is it bad ammo? there should be some because it's faster but two feet and no paper.

300BLK Remington 220 GR. OTM

300BLK PNW MATCH 125 GR. Nosler Balistic Tip BT

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nate, ask "Charles" if the ammo was designed to be shot out of a "high end barrel" only. If so,is it marketed that way. Also,you might inform him that generally,bbl length has nothing to do with accuracy. --- SAWMAN

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How much difference should there be in a 220gr and a 125gr round at 100yds 16" Model 700? I shot a foot above and a foot below and didn't hit paper...is there that much difference or is it bad ammo? there should be some because it's faster but two feet and no paper.

If any of you have a powder scale weigh each round. See what the difference in weights are. It honestly sounds like a powder issue(not being good QC on the measured powder). I can't see it being a twist rate issue since it has been shot out of all different barrel twists and length. Also check OAL of the rounds and see if there is a difference also.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I don't know what to tell you.

The 125 should shoot much flatter but there may be some horizontal shift as well.

Doing my tests to get this PNW stuff to group, I found that ozark and freedom 147gr reman grouped similarly and very close POI. The PNW was significantly higher POI at 100 yds (approx 6 inches) with some left shift.

I haven't shot a lot of subsonic yet but I've heard upwards of 9" of drop at 100yd.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    155 -------- The vels of the 220's and the 125's is not stated. However,guessing the 220's are sub at about 1050 or so. Guessing the 125's are super at 2200+. But.......a 24" difference at 100yds still seems extreme. I would guess that 12-16 inches would be more the "norm" though. --- SAWMAN

155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I shot 3 rounds at 100yds and didn't hit paper and at 30+ a box I didn't feel like bringing it back to 25yds and starting all over. Also, back when I sighted it in you couldn't find it at all much less plink with it....I guess I need to make a field trip and try again. But still I can't believe it wouldn't make paper....I had plenty of 220 but vary little of the hunting loads...sound like a field trip before hunting season.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I shot 3 rounds at 100yds and didn't hit paper and at 30+ a box I didn't feel like bringing it back to 25yds and starting all over. Also, back when I sighted it in you couldn't find it at all much less plink with it....I guess I need to make a field trip and try again. But still I can't believe it wouldn't make paper....I had plenty of 220 but vary little of the hunting loads...sound like a field trip before hunting season.

OK, so you have it sighted in with your 125gr hunting load at 100yd and are simply interested in where the 220gr subsonic loads hit at that range. Let's meet at my club. We'll set up a large cardboard backer at 50 or 100yd, put a target in the middle. You shoot your 220gr loads and I'll spot. I also have plenty of 220gr loaded up that you can shoot some of that also. We'll figure out where the 220's are hitting or if they are even going pointy end first. FWIW, the Remington factory 220gr loads don't always have a sterling reputation for accuracy per posts on the 300BLK forum. We may have to shoot it at a closer range to make sure the bullets aren't key holing. If your muzzle brake comes off easily and you want to, we can put a suppressor on it if you want to hear what it sounds like. I also have one of the M700's in 300BLK...it's a fun gun for me, so I've never sighted it in with hunting ammo and only plink with my subsonic reloads, mainly suppressed. I did some testing with supersonic hunting ammo just to see if I had an accurate load if I ever wanted to hunt with it.

Last edited:

155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you look at post #21 with my attachment there's nothing wrong with Remington 220GR it's dead nuts. It's just when I changed to the 125 PNW I shot one at red and one foot below and one above with no results just wondering if there were issues with PNW!!!!!!!!I still haven't made it to the range since the recall on the trigger...may have to start all over again anyway. Thanks for the invite may take you up on it one day!!!!!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    If you look at post #21 with my attachment there's nothing wrong with Remington 220GR it's dead nuts. It's just when I changed to the 125 PNW I shot one at red and one foot below and one above with no results just wondering if there were issues with PNW!!!!!!!!I still haven't made it to the range since the recall on the trigger...may have to start all over again anyway. Thanks for the invite may take you up on it one day!!!!!

I misunderstood and had it backwards. You need to sight in with your 125gr hunting ammo, but it wouldn't hit paper. OK, the invite still is open. I have plenty of supersonic ammo. We can follow the same procedure. Use some of my ammo to get it on paper and close to where you want it sighted in (I typically sight my 300BLK hunting rifles in at 1 to 1 5/8" high at 100yd) and then use a few of your hunting loads to verify or fine tune the impact point.

155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't had a lot of time lately for the rifles because of my new toy....Mathews Creed XS...It's sweet and quiet and after the initial cost it's cheap to shoot and don't need to leave the house. I would have sighted 125 hunting loads but only had a few boxes at that time. Also, still recovering from a hand injury with Jaws my 5 year old beagle another story. Thanks again may give you a call one day.

Kenneth

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I haven't had a lot of time lately for the rifles because of my new toy....Mathews Creed XS...It's sweet and quiet and after the initial cost it's cheap to shoot and don't need to leave the house. I would have sighted 125 hunting loads but only had a few boxes at that time. Also, still recovering from a hand injury with Jaws my 5 year old beagle another story. Thanks again may give you a call one day.

Kenneth

JAWS...that's quite a name for a beagle. Mine are named Dae Zee, Gravi, and Zoe E. I used to have Biscuit and Gravi, but Biscuit died in my W Pensacola house fire in March 07. Paramedics were able to save Gravi by giving him oxygen after firemen dragged him out and then West Side Animal Hospital treated and kept him for free while my wife and I found a temp place to live.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    UPDATE:

PNW sent me some labels to ship back the ammo. I dropped it off and it arrived at PNW on 15 sept according to the tracking. I sent an email last week to see what the next step in process was. No reply. I called yesterday. Mindi said she's been busy and hadn't had a chance to process it yet. That's a little frustrating on my part because I've got a signifcant amount of money tied up in this ammo. She also said some of the tech guys were going to take a look at the ammo. She took my number and said the tech guys would call me later that day (yesterday).

The above phone call was made on my way home form the range. I got another box of 20rds of the Range ammo that I assumed was from a different lot of ammo. (I know, I'm a glutton). I had similar results with this box too. 3 rounds were about 1.25" apart at 50yds with 2 flyers that opened up the group to about 4". I'm going to say it wasn't my lot of ammo.

Charlie (not Charles from before) called me last night. He said they shot some of the ammo and got 4-5" groups with it. I figured that would be the end of the conversation. That's why I sent it back. He went on to say that was what they expected out of that ammo..... what? He said it was range ammo and was meant to be shot at about 25yds. I mentioned the 2-3" grouping at 25yds.

I mentioned several things in our conversation, some I've written previously.

1. poor accuracy at all ranges. Especially compared to significantly cheaper reman ammo.
    2. Charles Liptak(the first charles) said they were getting much better groups with the same lot of ammo. Which is true 1.5 or 4-5MOA.
    3. I can get 4-5 MOA from a rest with surplus (much cheaper!!) ammo with a surplus bolt gun.

I've got one more platform to try but I'm willing to bet I'll get the same results.

I'm tied into these guys unless they give me my money back. I'm not interested in swapping out for their match or hunting rounds because that stuff is WAY expensive. I'm hoping their 125gr rd is a winner.

Everyone I've talked to at PNW has been professional and courteous. I would have hoped there would be more hands on with getting me taken care of but it is what it is.

Please let me know if you've got any questions. Will update as I get new info.

bamachem

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is simply unacceptable. No way I would want bunch of 5MOA bulk ammo. Worthless except for the BANG.

155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FYI on PNW 125 Match

PNW 125 MATCH Ballistic Tip at 100yds was acceptable only problem was two (2) rounds DNF....THAT SUCKS!!!!!$4 if you look at the pictures there is no problem with pin strike. I'm glad I bought only two boxes!!!!!Also, answered why I wasn't hitting paper at 100yds see picture.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Their "match" ammo is 2 moa? Great. They don't give money back and it would seem none of their ammo is accurate

155SprtFsh

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It looks like they took old stock ammo and put it in a new box. The cardboard separator between rounds just crumbled apart when removing the shells. It didn't even sound like a full charge of powder when going off. When I shot the hog hammer it sounded like +P ammo compared to it. Never again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Maybe this should be posted around the web. Maybe that will produce some results. Just saying. Im all about letting a company some time to make good, but if they are just refusing then flame away.

Members online

Top Bottom