• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sureicanfish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The other day I went to Santa Rosa shooting center to sight in a rifle. Range was great as usual, she even gave me a target on the house. Walk down and get set up on the very end, lane 12, my favorite. There's a group of 4 seemingly using lanes 6 and 7 and one guy on lane 1, should be plenty of space... range is cold so I set up a board at 50 yards on lane 11, and one at 100 on 12. We shoot for a bit, range goes cold, I don't need to change anything so I stay put. One of the googans next to me goes out and changes all of their targets, 4 of them. Then he walks all the way out to the 100 yard line, hearing protection still on, makes a sharp right turn and walks all the way out to lane 12, and tacks up a target right over mine...wtf? So I ask one of his googan friends if he's aware that they have a certain number of boards to use, they say he's probably not... by now 100yd googan has made it back to the 50 yard line and sure enough walks over to lane 11, throws my target on the ground and tacks up a zombie torso or something. I run out and let him know he's just put targets on both of my boards. He removes the 50yd target and says he'll get the 100yd the next time... I was nearly done anyways so I just took his nonchalant dumbassness in stride and said "ok". Range went hot and I shot the shit out of their targets and went home.

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many times were you muzzle swept?
    Or be down range and back at the line people fingering their guns?
    Santa Rosa is the closest to my house, but my absolute last choice.
    The only thing the do right is the shotgun side, IMHO.

sureicanfish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't had any issues with cold range time, outside of the aforementioned. The times I've been things were pretty squared away from the operational side.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don't have that problem, but I go on Thursdays. If a clearly new or inexperienced shooter is there, there's nothing wrong with a range rat like us politely showing them the way. When you're next to the berm, it's hard to tell which target belongs where , but yes, there are numbers.

I love Santa Rosa, but you do have to be mindful of those around you. If I do see something I don't like, I'll tell Nick, so he can straighten them up. Don't want to be getting in an argument with a stranger at the range. Lol.
    Haven't had to do any such thing yet though.
    I did have a couple next to me that made me nervous once, but that was at Oak Ridge, and it was on a Sunday, and I left. Maybe it's a weekend thing.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had my 10 year old grandson up there two weeks ago. No problems at all and Nick is always around. We had a small group of people around us watching as we were shooting flintlocks. They could not believe they were that accurate or that my grandson could shoot that well with all that fire coming out the side. lol. Have had problems with the range when it was under different management. Now all is good. Everyone that uses the range needs to ask them when they are going to put in the archery range. They kind of think there might not be enough interest.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ever since the new management change at SRSC, I have NEVER had a bad experience there. Simply telling those guys to leave your shit alone would have sufficed. Some people are just completely oblivious, he may have not even known he was messing with your stuff. Like I said, oblivious. Anyway, I think they have a wonderful facility out there and I look forward to each time I can afford to get back out there.

I was out there on Sunday and actually was shooting next to Gene, which I didnt know until I told him how envious I was of his 1911 collection.

not being smart towards you or argumentative, just giving my take on it, for what its worth

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    We were all newbies at some point, give the kid the benefit of the doubt and be courteous. More than likely, he's an active duty service member. And even if you didn't serve, you were a noob once.

That is all I have to say on the subject.
    Santa Rosa is MY range of choice.

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no problems with being extremely nice to someone while making 100% sure that they know that they are in the wrong. You don't have to go run to the principles office every time that someone does wrong. It is an opportunity to teach the right things and maybe answer a few safety questions for them. The few times that I have had an issue at SRSC, it was resolved without bugging the range master.

Everyone at the range has a duty to question safety and if necessary call the range cold if they believe someone is doing something unsafe.

sureicanfish

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, this guy was in his 50s, I did tell him he was using my targets, that's when he said "I'll get it next time". Don't forget some people are just dicks, maybe this guy was so oblivious he was bordering on dick territory, but it's a simple observation. If you shoot from the middle of the line, to the far right at 50 yards, your not even hitting the berm.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    ERGC. Now I mostly go during the week by myself but the last two times I've been there it has been me, just me there. Kinda nice

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    It might not be as manicured as santa rosa, but I don't mind the dirt. Sure beats shooting for 5 mins and then going cold for 20 so jimbo and cleatus can play pin the tail on the donkeys while swapping hunting stories down range. (Previous experience)

Egordon71

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everyone at the range has a duty to question safety and if necessary call the range cold if they believe someone is doing something unsafe.

This is a very good point to remember, don't wait for a Range Master if you see something unsafe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It might not be as manicured as santa rosa, but I don't mind the dirt. Sure beats shooting for 5 mins and then going cold for 20 so jimbo and cleatus can play pin the tail on the donkeys while swapping hunting stories down range. (Previous experience)

Cleatus... Lmao!

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was out at SRSC today checking the uniformity of some freshly minted .243 rounds. There was a fellow there with some military rifles that I visited with a bit. The fellow must have an iron shoulder. He swept up his brass with a broom twice. There were 2 googans that went rapid fire....a day early. I'm guessing that was Nick that put that to bed.
    There were no sandbags like at Styx. Things seem a bit less formal there, but my main complaint is that the benches move. It made for at least 2 flyers for me.
    I didn't encounter any dickhead stuff, but my next range trip will be to Styx.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no problems with being extremely nice to someone while making 100% sure that they know that they are in the wrong. You don't have to go run to the principles office every time that someone does wrong. It is an opportunity to teach the right things and maybe answer a few safety questions for them. The few times that I have had an issue at SRSC, it was resolved without bugging the range master.

Great point. One thing the Army has taught me that stuck when at the range. Everyone is a range officer. If you see something that shouldn't be then call a cease fire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom