• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As some of you might, or might not know, I am a little bit of a sig fan boy. I shoot my 226 at IDPA and it is my "go to" gun, I don't know how many rounds I have put through it (a ton) but I am very comfortable with it and shoot it better than just about any other pistol in my collection.

When I saw the new Sig X series, I was enamored... Particularly by the "Match Short" model, which would come in right at the size and weight limit for IDPA in the ESP class, and from all the reviews that I could find, I knew that I had to have one.

I ordered the pistol from Outpost Elite in Daphne, and they came in under the online pricing OTD, which was great. It took about a week to arrive, and when I got there they let me unbox it and take it out of the plastic etc.

First thoughts:

The fitment and finish are top notch, the frame to slide fitment has little if any play and is very very smooth, the thumb safety engages positively and gives a solid audible click when engaging and disengaging. As for the trigger (I haven't weighed it yet) it is amazing, and feels like it is around 3 pounds with a crisp break, no discernable creep, I compared the Sig side by side to a nighthawk that they had in the case, and I don't think there is any contest trigger wise. This thing is HEAVY, I put it on the scale and it came in at 2 pounds 12 oz with the empty magazine in place... It will be a couple of ounces less with the extra magazines that I have ordered since they have plastic base pads instead of the aluminum base pads included with the pistol.

At the range, the gun was very accurate and the lack of recoil because of the additional weight was obvious right off of the bat. The sights are going to take some getting used to, but I am very happy with how it shoots, compared to my "go to" 226 my groups shrunk considerably. The pistol is listed on Sig's site as having a fiber optic front sight, but came with a black serrated blade, I have them sending me the fiber optic sight, but am still not sure of whether or not I am going to swap it out... I kind of like the simplicity of the sights that are on it now.

The top group is my first 19 rounds through the gun at 10 yards, the second group is 10 rounds from 10 yards.

photo 2 (17).jpg

This was from 20 yards

photo 3 (14).jpg

Attachments

• photo 1 (13).jpg
      photo 1 (13).jpg
      221.1 KB · Views: 268
    • photo 2 (16).jpg
      photo 2 (16).jpg
      243.9 KB · Views: 264
    • photo 4 (6).JPG
      photo 4 (6).JPG
      329.7 KB · Views: 262
    • photo 5 (4).jpg
      photo 5 (4).jpg
      163.6 KB · Views: 256
    • photo 2 (17).jpg
      photo 2 (17).jpg
      225.7 KB · Views: 268
    • photo 3 (14).jpg
      photo 3 (14).jpg
      78.5 KB · Views: 260

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Idig. Are you running it Saturday?

Maybe, waiting on the mags and holster from Top Gun Supply, if they make it in I won't have any excuse not to. Going to be tough for me to get away from my other 226, its like a security blanket :D.

I kept threatening to shoot one of my glocks at a match, but haven't followed through yet...

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Good, I hope it doesn't become a safe queen. Way too perfect for the job, to not be allowed to do it. Doesn't take 226 mags ?

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought you posted somewhere you weren't a good shot with a pistol? That is some great shooting?

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good, I hope it doesn't become a safe queen. Way too perfect for the job, to not be allowed to do it. Doesn't take 226 mags ?

I plan on wearing this sucker out... definitely don't want it to be a safe queen, I have too many of those already.

It will accept regular mags, but ideally requires an extended base plate due to the magwell.

The 19 round OEM "x5" mags are $92 each and are mecgar 17 rounders with an aluminum +2 base plate.

The "aftermarket" mec gar 18 round mags are ~$25 and another $10 for a plastic +2 baseplate extension. I already have 10 of the 18 round mec gar mags, so I ordered 5 extended base plates to convert them.

I may need to remove some material from the plastic base plates, but well worth the savings...

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I thought you posted somewhere you weren't a good shot with a pistol? That is some great shooting?

I think that I am probably a better shot with a pistol than I am with a rifle, but that ain't saying much. :D Thank you though!

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is sexy! can't wait to flog you with my used CZ Saturday!

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll swap it over to SA only just to play with Ian.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like it shoots as good as it looks! Were those groups shot offhand or supported?

I ordered some mags from TopGun Supply late Friday night and they were in my mailbox Monday so I would think you should be good to go for IDPA. First time I have ordered from them but won't be the last with kind of turn around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    that is sexy! can't wait to flog you with my used CZ Saturday!

Bring it!

I'll swap it over to SA only just to play with Ian.

You'll be switching it from decocker to safety, not sure where that lands your in terms of the rules, it will retain its double action trigger, just with the option to start cocked and locked instead of double action. I know that the CZ guns that compete in SSP and don't have a decocker need to be manually decocked after you load and make ready, but I don't know about the SSP class.

Not a fan of Sigs but gotta say Ian that thing looks pretty slick

Not a fan?! Blasphemy... why in the world not?

Looks like it shoots as good as it looks! Were those groups shot offhand or supported?

I ordered some mags from TopGun Supply late Friday night and they were in my mailbox Monday so I would think you should be good to go for IDPA. First time I have ordered from them but won't be the last with kind of turn around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Those shots were off hand (and tired / hungry hands at that) I think I can do better with it on a day when I hadn't skipped lunch and went straight to the range after long day of work.

TGS is good to go, I have made several purchases with them in the past this is actually the slowest shipping that I can remember, but it is out for delivery today, so I should be bringing it out to suck it up with this weekend.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm wanting it for ESP. I haven't had the time to get used to the DA/SA transition. When I can start it out in SA, it's so much better!

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nice pistol and a shooter. I liked the Sig when I carried it on duty. Got drawn off the 1911 platform to Glocks because of experiencing them on the range. Gotta give credit where due, SIG makes a fine pistol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ...Got drawn off the 1911 platform to Glocks because of experiencing them on the range.
    BLASPHEMY!!!

Actually, there are lots of crappy 1911's out there. It takes some know how to build a good one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom