• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    This thread is a little older but I have some questions. I have a .308 bolt gun, a 16" carbine .223, and a 7.5" .223 ar pistol thats is an adams arms upper (piston gun). Obviously a one can solution would have to be a .308 bore. But does any company offer a .308 can that is warrantied for use on a 7.5" .223? I also think I would like it to attach to a MD so I can use them as a sacrificial baffel. Note: this would be my first can and none of the listed weapons are full auto, and the .223 only see rapid semi auto fire during occasional classes and usually only in 3-5 shot strings. Not mag dumps. I do however have .22 conversions for the .223 ar setups. Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Also, thought about building my own ( with proper paperwork in hand first ). But am not sure of the effectiveness and durability between homemade and commercial. And the Legality of changing parts should a homemade one break or not funcion properly. Any thoughts?

2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread is a little older but I have some questions. I have a .308 bolt gun, a 16" carbine .223, and a 7.5" .223 ar pistol thats is an adams arms upper (piston gun). Obviously a one can solution would have to be a .308 bore. But does any company offer a .308 can that is warrantied for use on a 7.5" .223? I also think I would like it to attach to a MD so I can use them as a sacrificial baffel. Note: this would be my first can and none of the listed weapons are full auto, and the .223 only see rapid semi auto fire during occasional classes and usually only in 3-5 shot strings. Not mag dumps. I do however have .22 conversions for the .223 ar setups. Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

The Silencerco Saker 762 is warrantied down to 7" with .223/5.56

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Only thing off the top of my head that's a 308 and warranted to that short of a 556 barrel is the Saker 762. It's got muzzle brake attachments that would act as your sacrificial baffle.

I wouldn't recommend shooting 22lr through a can that doesn't come apart.

A suppressor isn't anything high tech but the materials you used may not be as durable if you rolled your own.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-saker-762.html

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So can the saker 7.62 you referenced be taken apart for cleaning as isneeded when shooting .22lr? I assume so because it has changeable end caps. But again still learning. I suppose the first step I need to do is find out what all a trust involves and how to get that going

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No. The saker doesn't come apart. The end caps and mount module come off but you can't get to the guts. Most of your rifle caliber suppressors aren't going to come apart. Would recommend a pistol caliber or dedicated 22 can if you want to shoot 22lr.

Silencershop and silencerco both offer trusts for $130. I've not heard anything but good reviews for them and it can be done pretty quick. Trusts are offered locally, not sure on the pricing. A forum search should pull up the info.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks for all the info. Do you stock the cans in question? Also I have never shot with a can. Any suggestions on where to maybe try out any?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've got a few on hand. I've got a few sakers coming in. You're welcome to shoot what I've got and get a sense of what they can do. I'm trying to get to ERGC this Sunday if you're available

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Im off tomorrow. Just call me. Number is in the pm I sent

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, thought about building my own ( with proper paperwork in hand first ). But am not sure of the effectiveness and durability between homemade and commercial. And the Legality of changing parts should a homemade one break or not funcion properly. Any thoughts?
    Within the NFA are provisions for sending an item to the Mfg for repair. If you home brew a suppressor (with Proper paper work), you can "repair" it as needed.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When you fill out the Form 1 the listed manufacturer of the suppressor is you, your Trust, Corp., etc. The exterior tube is the registered item, has the serial number, one caliber, name and address of the manufacturer. You as the maker have all of the rights of any other maker. Today, there are many makers of multicaliber cans. All you need do is build the can with a strong tube, like titanium, with multiple sets of screw in end caps and sets of baffles of different calibers. My last build, includes multiple baffles and end cap sets I keep the sets on stainless wire leader loops. I have a .224, .308, and a .358 set for my Form 1 build. The caliber on the tube is middle of the road, a .308 listed.........

You do not have to be a rocket scientist to build a can, there is a company on-line, SD Tactical, that sells the pieces and parts for a build including a titanium interior threaded tube and the end caps plus baffles, you just do the drilling of the holes after you get your approval on the Form 1.
    Ed

Last edited:

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thats cool if you can repair your home brew suppressor. So the next question. Obviously a company that has a r&d department can perfect things. But how much better does a commercual can perform than a well made home brew. I mean are we talking 1-3 db's difference or 10 db's difference. I dont know. I dont have any experience with commercial or home brew cans

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I cant tell you the exact science of it, but remember that decibels are exponential.
    Decibel is really a measure of power and amplitude.

If you are shopping for a can, I have a few we can get together and shoot. I am mainly off during the daytime. Just LMK.

Top Bottom