• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Why hasn't anyone come up with a silencer with different thread caps on one end and exit hole diameters to be able to use them on different caliber guns? Even if it doesn't suppress to the extent of a dedicated caliber suppressor, if they would just suppress to a hearing safe level, I think there could really be a market for this. Maybe something like that exists, maybe it's impossible, or maybe the can makers would be afraid that it would hurt overall sales. Any ideas?

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Why hasn't anyone come up with a silencer with different thread caps on one end and exit hole diameters to be able to use them on different caliber guns? Even if it doesn't suppress to the extent of a dedicated caliber suppressor, if they would just suppress to a hearing safe level, I think there could really be a market for this. Maybe something like that exists, maybe it's impossible, or maybe the can makers would be afraid that it would hurt overall sales. Any ideas?

According to dead-bird, when talking about the suppressor here: http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showthread.php?16631-New-Suppressor-Design-Very-Interesting&p=137203&viewfull=1#post137203

This is interesting.

The interchangeable cores and additional module flies in the face of BATFE regulations.

Any device that reduces sound by more than 1db is a silencer. This "system" would look to be two suppressors.

The language in the definition of silencer contains no provisions that permit an owner of a registered silencer to possess spare or replacement components for the silencer. The interchangeable caliber cores would not be allowed.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    have i ever mentioned how much i hate rules and regulations?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The saker series has different end caps. The 556 and 762 series use all the same accessories. The 762 can is longer. Have heard the 762 can with a 556 end cap is pretty quiet on 556.

It's my understanding that you're not allowed to have any spare parts for suppressors. The manufacturers get around this by making some parts ( pistons, mounts, etc) dual use items.

I thought Bowers had a multi cal suppressor but I've not taken a close look at it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I see.
    Does anyone sell thread adapters, so that you could, for instance put a 762 can on a 556?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There's several ways to do that. The saker mounts on a muzzle device. It doesn't care what size the thread pattern is. You just need the correct thread pattern for the MD.

I sell this stuff by the way....

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    MD?

This is sounding promising. If I could have one to fit 308's and 223, that'd be about half the guns in my collection, in which case, I could justify it. Do the 7.62 ones work on AKs?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    There are several options out there for same mount in different thread patterns to use the same can on different weapons. (make sense?)

The saker is the only one I know of that has the option to change the end cap.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The above works.

If you don't have a direct thread can, you can get the MDs in varying thread patterns.

Pistol cans can do the same thing with a piston swap.

Short answer. You can use a suppressor on multiple hosts (regardless of thread pattern) so long as you don't go bigger than the can is rated for.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You don't want to use a pistol can on supersonic rifle ammo.

There are some using 9mm cans with subsonic 300blk. The following are generalzations only.

Firing a rifle round? Get a rifle can.
    45 cans will do 45 and smaller pistol rounds fairly well.
    you can shoot 22 through any can (haven't seen one smaller than that). But you want to be able to clean it.
    Your dedicated 22 cans are usually take aparts so you can clean them up easily.

If you want to get into suppressors I would recommend a 22. They're cheaper, quieter and you're more likely to shoot it.
    If you want a pistol can for multiple calibers. Get a 45.
    " " rifle can " " Get a 30 cal.
    when you start talking Mag calibers and larger than 308, you need to make sure your can is rated for it.

check out silencershop. they've got a lot of stuff listed.

don't trust videos on youtube for how "quiet" a can is. Until you hear it on a firearm in person, it doesn't mean anything.

2 can be rated for the same suppression but one may sound "quieter" because it's got a different tone.

To truly see which can is the quietest, you need to test with the same ammo, same platform and same environmentals. Even then you may get different results based on relative positio to the muzzle.

Let me know if there's something I can help with.

For selling suppressors I usually am competing with silencershops prices. If I can't beat them my transfer fee is $50.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So a 308 and a 45, makes sense.

I do not like 22's.

Thanks for all the info. I'll do some more research before pulling the trigger. The time delay, honestly, is the biggest deterrent, I have a short attention span. Lol.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    308 and 45 should be able to cover most of your bases.

Not to say it can't be done but it will be harder to suppress the AK. there's less support for that thread pattern and there tends to be more concern with concentric threads on an AK. There are companies that offer thread adapters. A google search will give some quick insight. The closest I've come to a suppressed AK is doing a VZ58. I don't like the way the adapter secures so I'm not going to suppress it. that's just me though.

If you're looking to use it on multiple hosts I would suggest a QD type.

AAC SDN-6, Saker 762 are solid. If you want to meet up I can demo them both. I think the Saker has the better mount.

Osprey/Octane 45 and Tirant 45 are solid as well.

There are a lot of smaller companies out there so don't take my word as gospel. AAC/Silencerco/Yankee hill(to a lesser degree) are your high volume players and are going to perform similarly.

the wait isn't going to get much better. Unfortunately you have to pay (money and TIME) to play this game.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Close, it's awesome that it exists, since I didn't think you could have spare parts for it, and it could be that it's as close as there is.

Theoretically though, if you could change both the threaded end and the end cap, leaving the baffles and tube as the only parts that remain constant, and if the baffles could handle 308 supersonic, as well as have a 45 caliber hole in the middle, you could use it for most available calibers.
    There is also that one where you can put different ends on it.
    My guess is that it's possible, just doesn't exist yet.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Close, it's awesome that it exists, since I didn't think you could have spare parts for it, and it could be that it's as close as there is.

Theoretically though, if you could change both the threaded end and the end cap, leaving the baffles and tube as the only parts that remain constant, and if the baffles could handle 308 supersonic, as well as have a 45 caliber hole in the middle, you could use it for most available calibers.
    There is also that one where you can put different ends on it.
    My guess is that it's possible, just doesn't exist yet.

trying to do all that in one can is going to end up with a can that's not good at anything.

.45 hole in the baffles means less suppression for all other calibers. The smaller end cap will help but I don't think the performance will be there.

Having a can that's rifle capable means it's going to be heavy. (20 ozs, maybe heavier becuase of the large volume usually associated with 45 cal cans.) That would probably cause cycling issues for your non fixed barrel pistols. the octane 45 is 12ozs.

If you want to suppress 45, you're going to be limited to pistol and subsonic rifle rounds. There are some .50 cal cans out there but they aren't cheap.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I can see that. Maybe the rifle can and pistol can idea with adapters for a couple of different calibers makes better sense.
    308/223, 45/9mm. 2 cans, lots of different guns.

Top Bottom