• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the talk about bow hunting, I'm considering giving it a try, but know absolutely nothing about bows. What's a good starter setup? I'm 5'11'', normal build and right handed. Additionally, where/who can tune one once bought?

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would advise you to check out other manufactures and suppliers also.....don't just get whats available on one suppliers shelf.
    there is always another source with products that you might prefer better.
    you need to shoot many bows and see which suits you the best.
    are you wanting a compound verticle, compound crossbow or recurve crossbow(Excalibur the best recurve crossbow in my opinion)
    which is my favorite.
    for just starting out, the Barnett jackal compound crossbow is the best for under $300 and they have great product support
    and warranty.
    just thought i'd offer you other thoughts for your search....don't throw down on the first few you see.
    good luck !!

aknavy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the advice... I'm interested in a vertical compound. Guess I'll have to go check some out and shoot them.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the advice... I'm interested in a vertical compound. Guess I'll have to go check some out and shoot them.

good choice.....
    I have been bow hunting for over 45 years.
    and building strings, arrows and other assessories for 25+

I don't know it all, by no means... but I do know what not to do !!!!!!!!!!:peace:

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Come by Mikes. We have Bowtech, PSE, Elite, Mathews, and Hoyt. Prices start at $300 for adult bow packages. If you want to take the plunge with out going broke i would look at some of the PSE packages, Hoyt charger package, or Bowtech carbon knight package. They come with everything you need minus arrows and release and all are under $700.

No disrespect to gendoc, but i wouldnt give a nickle for anything with Barnetts name on it. We have to send more barnetts back to the manufactuere than all other crossbow companies we carry combined.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you think the world of guns are full of opinions and endless accessories and setups, you don't know what you are getting yourself into with bows. The amount of gear and accessories wit a bow are endless and everyone has an opinion on what's the best. Find one that you like and feels right for you to shoot and don't get caught up in the madness of what gear is the best. Because it will drive you mad. It did me.

I ended up with a Bear Encounter compound. It's the previous model to the Bear Attitude that is out now. It's the low end of what most would spend on a compound bow. But the performance for the price is huge. There are other brands that have similar bang for your buck type bows out there. I promise that deer will not know the difference between the $1000 bow and the $400 bow. I bought a bare bow without anything on it. No sights etc... Then I added the nice sights and rest and all the other goodies that I felt were the best for my hunting setup.

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if you think the world of guns are full of opinions and endless accessories and setups, you don't know what you are getting yourself into with bows. The amount of gear and accessories wit a bow are endless and everyone has an opinion on what's the best. Find one that you like and feels right for you to shoot and don't get caught up in the madness of what gear is the best. Because it will drive you mad. It did me.
    amen to that!!!!!!!!

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No disrespect to gendoc, but i wouldnt give a nickle for anything with Barnetts name on it. We have to send more barnetts back to the manufactuere than all other crossbow companies we carry combined.

no disrespect taken for me, by all means...

we have owned 3 Barnett jackal crossbows for 3-4 years and no problems have happened !!!
    with 3 grandkids that would rather shoot them than- swin in there pool, ride there go-karts
    or mini-bikes, play video games and watch TV.
    i have replaced strings on all of them 2 times because all 3 bows have been shot over 2500-3500 times.
    i make Flemish strings for recurves, but not for compounds.

i don't know anything about there verticle line or other crossbows they offer and really don't care.
    and i can see where there new "wiz-bang" high performance crossbows could fail, but they are not what i
    was referring to about the guy that wanted information.

i was talking about a line they offer that has proven success.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom