• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alicks

Shooter
    Not sure if this is the appropriate section for this, but I figured it'll do. Just wanted to share my most recent story about Buck & Bass now that the smoke has cleared. I'll try to make it as short as possible.

Because of the passage of the SAFE Act up in New York (where I'm originally from), my dad decided to sell his Springfield Armory SAR3 (HK91 clone). It's had some professional work done, most notably it had a full auto selector housing installed (but it still had semi-auto internals, as well as a semi-auto bolt carrier - note that this mod was okay'd by the ATF back in 2001, and I had the paperwork from the custom shop backing that up). I bought it from him in mid-April and decided to have it shipped from his FFL up in NY to Buck & Bass.

I'd been in there a few times before to buy some ammo and other odds and ends. The sales staff always seemed pretty good to me, nice guys and pretty helpful, so I figured I'd do the transfer through them, plus they were the closest FFL to my place.

About a week after my dad sent it, I get a phone call from a local number. I figured it was Buck & Bass telling me I could come pick up the rifle. Instead, it ended up being an ATF agent who'd told me that my gun came in over at Buck & Bass, they saw the full-auto selector, called him. He performed a functions check on it and it checked as full-auto (it shipped without a magazine, so he was unable to test-fire it). He took it into his office, where it was checked in as evidence. I met up with this agent, told him the history of the weapon and provided some correlating documents and made a statement. The agent told me that he'd wanted to test-fire it in person, but because they had no magazines, he couldn't do it. Once he'd checked it in, it became an official process and he had to do it by the book.

After this, I went in to Buck & Bass to apologize to them for any potential problems/trouble I might've caused. The sales staff seemed pretty apologetic that they'd had to turn it in, but they explained that for legality purposes, it was in their best interest. I understood, and don't really hold that against them. When I spoke to the owner, though, he pretty much berated me for attempting to ship a Class III firearm through improper channels (which I wasn't), and read me the riot act about it. Even after I'd apologized and explained the situation, he only reluctantly shook my hand when I left.

The rifle ended up getting sent to the ATF's FTB testing lab, where it was cleared as a semi-auto gun. Their documentation said to me that all they did to determine its semi-auto status was disassemble it and look at the internal parts. It cleared their testing, and I got it back yesterday, after three months of back-and-forth, a $250 claim bond, and a bunch of paperwork. In the end, no-harm, no-foul.

My issue with the way this was handled was with Buck & Bass did. While I completely understand why they called the ATF agent about a suspected full-auto firearm (covering themselves there so as not to lose their FFL status or get in any legal trouble on their part), I'd spoken with several other dealers, including the custom shop that had originally done the work. While it's not strictly required, often in these issues the gun shop receiving a suspected item will contact the person to receive the weapon first, or at least in conjunction with the ATF office. Had they done that the day of, I would have been able to link up with them and the ATF agent on-site, bringing with me all the paperwork about its semi-auto status as well as some diagrams and stuff showing that while the external housing was a full-auto housing, the internals were all semi-auto parts. And even after that, if the agent wanted to test-fire it, I could've brought him a magazine so he could've field tested it and made his determination on the spot. Because I wasn't made aware of any of this, the agent had to bring it in and start the full process, which as I mentioned caused me a lot of aggravation and cost me three months of time, not to mention the shock of receiving a phone call from a federal agent telling me I was suspected of criminal activity.

In the end, my feeling was that what was the best thing for Buck & Bass to do for themselves and what was the best thing for me were not at odds, but instead they covered themselves and just left me out to dry. Even after the fact, when I went in to clarify and apologize, I was treated a bit rudely. The way they handled this situation left a bad taste in my mouth regarding their customer care, and I won't be going back again.

gandog56

Expert
    About the only bad thing I saw they did was have a semi belligerent Manager seem to give you the cold shoulder. But every store has a butthead or two.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    They had no obligation to contact you but you knowing the potential issue you should have provided them the paperwork ahead of time and explained it to them, in fact it should have been shipped with the documentation. There is no excuse for the manager just a bad employee that needs to be replaced.

Django

Master
    I always assumed it was a prerequisite for a gun shop to have 1 or more asshats under FFL regulations.

Maybe asahat is the wrong term. How about curmudgeon?

I guess I can't blame the guy though for being cautious and it did take up his time and efforts to make sure there wasn't an issue. I dont know the shop though, just food for thought.

Last edited:

alicks

Shooter
    Like I said, I totally don't fault them for calling the ATF. In the end, that shop is his livelihood, and losing his FFL is a big deal. But I didn't appreciate the way I was left in the dark until it was an "official" issue, when even according to the ATF agent himself it could've been handled at a much lower level if only I'd been informed on the day of.

I agree they were under no obligation to onform me from a legal standpoint, but again it would have been helpful (and easier for me) if they'd done so.

As far as providing the paperwork beforehand, yeah, I'll take fault for that. The gun had been modified in the early-2000s and I'd never had an issue with it, even shooting it up in New York, so I completely forgot that that might be "suspect" to someone who wasn't familiar with it.

Django

Master
    Glad it worked out for you in the end. At least you have a story about a family heirloom and more suppoting documents, lol.

RackinRay

Master
    If it was Rick that you are talking about, it is his family's livelihood at risk if he failed to report as he is the owner. I would not blame him for being real unhappy with being placed in the position of having to call ATF to protect his business; especially once it came out that you knew of the gun's modification, and had paperwork to show the legality of modification in advance of shipping.

I try never to judge any fellow gun hobbyist, but why would anyone make such a modification? There can only be cosmetic reasons for the modification, as it seems to have no functional advantage, except perhaps to invite additional legal attention.

Rick and the staff at Buck and Bass have always been great to deal with, and I have sent them business many times. Everyone I sent was pleased with the staff's knowledge and attention to their purchase, so I will continue to recommend them.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    If it was Rick that you are talking about, it is his family's livelihood at risk if he failed to report as he is the owner. I would not blame him for being real unhappy with being placed in the position of having to call ATF to protect his business; especially once it came out that you knew of the gun's modification, and had paperwork to show the legality of modification in advance of shipping.

I try never to judge any fellow gun hobbyist, but why would anyone make such a modification? There can only be cosmetic reasons for the modification, as it seems to have no functional advantage, except perhaps to invite additional legal attention.

Rick and the staff at Buck and Bass have always been great to deal with, and I have sent them business many times. Everyone I sent was pleased with the staff's knowledge and attention to their purchase, so I will continue to recommend them.

Ya can't piss everyone off... Wait... That's not it.

Ya can't make everyone happy. Yeah, that's it.

Lmao

Can't we all not be curmudgeon?

alicks

Shooter
    Like I've said, I don't at all fault him for calling the ATF. He's got to do what he has to to protect his own interests.

I'll also take responsibility for not giving any paperwork beforehand. As I said, my family's had it so long and never once been questioned on it that it never occurred to me that that might be an issue for anyone, so I forgot about it. Bad headwork on my part.

As far as the reasoning goes, its a bit cosmetic and ergonomic. You can't really replace just the grip, and the plastic S-E-F full-auto housings are a little more comfortable to shoot, especially for smaller-handed shooters like myself and lefties.

Cjones

Expert
    normally when i get an item from an FFL i am the one to crack the box open when its time to do the 4473. Surprised they messed around with it before you even got to check it out first.

bigbulls

Marksman
    normally when i get an item from an FFL i am the one to crack the box open when its time to do the 4473. Surprised they messed around with it before you even got to check it out first.
    Seeing as how this was a personal firearm and not a new firearm purchased from an FFL with a receipt that had the SN printed, he probably had to open the box and inspect the gun for a serial number so he could log it into his A&D log books.

Even still, I always open the box to inspect the firearm to make absolutely sure that what is listed on the receipt is what is actually in the box and the serial numbers match up on the receipt and gun before I notify the customer.

Viking1204

Master
    The fault I see of Buck and Bass here is they didn't consult the owner of the gun before they called the ATF. This would have saved a lot of trouble in the long run.

RackinRay

Master
    Like I've said, I don't at all fault him for calling the ATF. He's got to do what he has to to protect his own interests.

I'll also take responsibility for not giving any paperwork beforehand. As I said, my family's had it so long and never once been questioned on it that it never occurred to me that that might be an issue for anyone, so I forgot about it. Bad headwork on my part.

As far as the reasoning goes, its a bit cosmetic and ergonomic. You can't really replace just the grip, and the plastic S-E-F full-auto housings are a little more comfortable to shoot, especially for smaller-handed shooters like myself and lefties.

You seem like a level headed individual; and admit some oversights, thus making it more difficult to see how you could post that you are not a fan of the store based on the experiance. All are welcome to their views, and to express them.

Sounds like you would be more careful in the future from the experiance for sure. I would think it not a bad idea to carry papers with the gun since many LEO's around here are gun savy enough to spot a full auto safety, and doing so may save you some time in that event.

Viking, having once held an FFL I would not be surprised that their instruction to dealers is to contact ATF first and at that contact they direct the dealer to not contact the owner. ATF can be very particular in how things are handled, to the point of being dictating and demanding above and beyond in some cases!

alicks

Shooter
    Oh, absolutely. I've already made several copies of the paperwork and left them in my range bag so I'll never be without them.

And again, the thing I'm not a fan of was that I wasn't informed. The impression I got from the agent was that if in was aware (as in that was an option), it could've been a far easier process.

Top Bottom