• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    TP, most today are on Facebook too so I see the forum as a better venue, it takes all avenues to be a successful business.

Businesses can control what is posted on their FB pages. Not so much on an open forum. And yes it takes all avenues to be successful.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jay himself couldnt be greater to deal with, his kronies always leave a sour taste (minus one or two gents)

Probably needs to downsize, the Jays empire got too big and i dont think many were buying

That has been my experience in dealing with him for about 20 years. Jay has always given me a "fair deal"; the guys working for him are a PITA and most of them don't know their ass from their elbow.
    He's done something right through the years to have become as large as he has as well as been able to branch out into other stuff besides guns such as cars. I've had every dealer I've used tell me a stupid price on something at some point in our dealings. If I used that as a criteria for not using them I'd be stuck only buying used guns from people who want $650 for a used Glock.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I do business with only one guy now, Nate(aka little jacks guns). I don't ask him for a buddy discount. I just ask what can you do for "this". Always competitive prices.

It's appreciated Rich.

I've got the benefit of not having to pay the bills with this so I've got a lot more flexibility than a brick and mortar shop. I don't have the same access to products they've got but I don't have overhead in the form of rent/utilities employees etc. Biggest thing thing that hobbles me price wise is sales tax. Always willing to do a transfer though.

Telum makes some good points. Guys with storefronts probably don't have the time to stay up to date on forum stuff either.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Telum makes some good points. Guys with storefronts probably don't have the time to stay up to date on forum stuff either.

Nate, I've used you for all my transfers since you got here. Not much since I have three kiddos and a wife to support. So the gun buying takes a back seat mostly.

Guys with store fronts also have a lot more liability and reputation than just a forum reputation. Like has been said before, Jay has been doing something right by staying in business and expanding. Although myself will not shop there. That does not mean that he doesn't fill a role in the gun business in the local area. If he didn't he'd be long gone by now. And maybe some local competition down the road is helping him change some things. Even more of a pat on the back for him to adapt etc...

archer-1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jay himself couldnt be greater to deal with, his kronies always leave a sour taste (minus one or two gents)

Probably needs to downsize, the Jays empire got too big and i dont think many were buying

Jay is a great guy! I get tired of hearing people that don't know him bash him. If you knew him you wouldn't have anything bad to say!

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jay is a great guy! I get tired of hearing people that don't know him bash him. If you knew him you wouldn't have anything bad to say!

Not bashing jay himself. Just his employees. The store here in PC has been ridiculous in thir prices. Still selling PMAG's for 24-27 dollars when I can go buy them online for 13/$99 with free shipping. This is the reason local gun shops will go out of business. Most local stores won't even try to match prices online. I just built an AR pistol. All parts for it ordered online except for the lower. I went around to the local shops here and priced it out. All 3 I went to, would have cost 3-4 times what I paid. Their markup is close to being highway robbery. That's why I won't give them my business. I work hard for my money and only a fool is easily parted from his money.

It's just like the gun shows, ridiculous prices.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I went in the Crestview store once and was ignored for 5+ minutes while 1 guy was waited on by the clerks, it was just before Christmas. Now at the time I did look even scruffier than usual as I had let my hair get long so I could be Santa Claus for a bunch of kids but I had cash and was looking for a pistol. When one of the guys finally got around to asking if he could help me I had already made up my mine to go elsewhere. High prices and rude clerks made a definite impression and I won't be going back to Jay's, that one trip reinforced every negative thing I had heard about them.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've met Jay and he seemed nice enough. And over the years I had bought several firearms there after negotiating a fair price (you don't ask, you don't get) and I've had a membership at the range in Baker since it opened, where the clerks (especially Dave) are very friendly. However a couple years ago I'd called the store in Crestview to inquire about shipping a pistol I'd sold and the clerk told me it'd be a $100 fee plus whatever the shipping/insurance cost was.

That's why I drive down to Patriot Arms in FWB to ship a firearm.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First time I went to Jay's I thought they were high but the salesman was OK. Next time I got a jerk. Third time I got a great employee. Not only did he drop the price below competitors when I asked, I got another discount of around $25 when I was checking out. I asked where that came from and he told me he noticed it was my birthday that day. Noticed it while doing the call in.

Moral of story: Employees make the difference with brick and mortar shops. Bad ones can ruin a small business. Especially gun shops. I get it when I walk in. You work here, I assume you know more than I do. You don't have to prove it.

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ain't bad deal if you want it & NEED IT, BIRD IN HAND BETTER THAN 1 IN THE BUSH :hippie: :hippie: :hippie:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom