• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been kinda busy being a dad lately and havent followed much on the whole 5.45 supply issues.

How is the 5.45x39 holding on? Still readily available? Any non-russian 5.45 showing up on shelves readily available? I never got around to purchasing thousands of rounds like some others did, haha.

I been having a random thought of POSSIBLY (not likely) trying to make a trade of my 74 for an underfolder 47. Nothing in the works, no "WTT" thread started, just an idea. Not sure I'd do it if the opportunity presented itself, just bored and thinking.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The surplus is low 20s let round. It used to be 17 or 18. After shipping it gets to be 23 cents a round. At that point I don't think it's worth the price difference to shoot corrosive ammo. Sgammo has the commercial silver bear/wolf ammo for about 26 or 27 a round shipped. That's in life with steel 223. Personally, with the surplus stuff dried up I don't see the big benefit of 5.45 over 223. If you want cheap. Stick with the 7.62x39. I ended up with enough 5.45 to make my 74 worth while but if I'd had a crystal ball I would have stayed away from the round.

Just my opinion though.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thats what has gotten me thinking. May be offering the 74 up for trade for a 47 underfolder. OR, I may just keep it and get an underfolder anyway, haha. Eventually 5.45 has to come back around...right?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    thats what has gotten me thinking. May be offering the 74 up for trade for a 47 underfolder. OR, I may just keep it and get an underfolder anyway, haha. Eventually 5.45 has to come back around...right?

Around from what? Most of your ammo prices are back to normal or below. The commercial was always higher than the surplus. I can't see that stuff coming down much now that they don't have to compete with the surplus ammo.

Again, that's just me.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I don't remember the exact time frame but the same thing happened to "surplus" 7.62x39. Think it was chinese stuff that was cheap. I wasn't paying for bullets when that happened so I can't tell you what the prices were for surplus vs commercial at the time.

If the commercial guys start pumping out the 5.45 then it may come down but I don't see it. I think the interest in that round is going to dwindle with the lack of the cheap stuff.

There's been some good stuff happening for gun guys lately but I don't see the ATF changing their mind on this one.

If they do. The 5.45 will be cheap again but some argue theirs still a finite supply of it. I was getting crates marked anywhere from 1975 to 1981 for manufacture date. The consensus that the new round they started using in 1983 wasn't going to be importable under the old law, or they (eastern bloc) wasn't willing to export.

FWIW

Top Bottom