• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    For the edged fans on the forum:

Which sword do you think is better between the two below, and why?

Cold Steel 1908 Bristish calvary Saber and the Cold Steel Dragon Fly Katana

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Definitely the Katana IMO, the 1908 is a thrusting sword, not designed or intended to cut. The Katana on the other hand is dual purpose and has many more offenses techniques that utilize both cuts and thrusts.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Thanks for the input Clay. I believe the katana is the top of sword evolution, but the manual of arms is much more complex and requires significant training I think. The British manual of arms for the saber offers fewer moves, but the sword is designed to be very quick and thrust to the natural point of user's arm thrust from what I have read.

The Calvary saber is a variant of the back sword, and is quite capable of slashing. The first several inches of top side of the blade can be sharpened easily (comes false edged), and is capable of back slashes on the backstroke or reverse draw. I think those were called hocking cuts, perhaps especially when aimed at the heel and calf of an opponent. This edge is more like a knife edge and is easily sharpened and maintained.

The katana is scary sharp, but I believe it requires more equipment to sharpen it. I have just started reading about sharpening those types of blades.

The saber also has a six inch reach advantage, even over the American sized Dragon Fly katana. I would think it offers better hand protection as well.

I love the katana and the idea of it, but the saber seems a good, quicker to learn, alternative. So I am torn on which is best....hence the request for additional input.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Impressive, especially cutting that bean. But the robot loses. It never sheathed the sword.

but it didn't take 40 yrs of programing, about the time a bushido will take to perfect his skill...

I had no idea robots were that advanced in speed and strength....

Last edited:

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You realize that movie with will smith and the robots is really not too far away.

Top Bottom