• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Northman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Opinion but not Fact. in the last 114yrs the US has been through 6 different standard rifle patterns the RU has been through 3 the last of which has been the standard for 67yrs

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    the full auto one is a Fail to Feed and the other something is wrong with the ejector on the inner left side.
    The poster of the first video disagrees with you. The second video has an ejection problem. By your definition, that's a "jam".

Which is better, Ford or Chevy? I've got both plus a Harley and a Suzuki and... They all have their advantages and disadvantages. In my humble opinion the AK is a tool and the AR is an instrument.

I like the comparison.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Opinion but not Fact. in the last 114yrs the US has been through 6 different standard rifle patterns the RU has been through 3 the last of which has been the standard for 67yrs
    Point?

Why only go back 114?

The AK will always be older than the AR.

Have we adopted something else since the m16(to include all its variants) as a standard?

Northman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    better way of making my point:

73 countries have adopted the M16 as there standard rifle
    +/- 8 million made
    109 countries have adopted the Ak47 as there standard rifle
    +/-75 million made
    +/-100 million Kalashnikov pattern rifles overall

this is just military versions

Northman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    also what I meant by eject was to leave the barrel like its suppose to and manual means as in tap out with a rubber mallet or cleaning rod

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually - In a good weapon- jams are not the fault of the weapon.
    Most of the time its the mag.
    Some of the time its operator error (* putting pressure on the mag* , not securely holding the weapon, ect.)
    Less times - its the ammo.
    Thats why its important to test your mags.....discard any that have are associated with mis-feeds/jamming incidents.

I like the IDEA of the AR-15 - but my limited experience with them was tainted by a couple that were just put together badly (not by me.) While one worked fairly well after some re-working - the other never could hit the broad side of a barn.
    I took a couple things away from this experience:
    - An AR-15 needs to be assembled by an experience person...with the correct tools - to be worth a damn.
    - There are several assemblies on the AR-15 that I would consider fragile - or at least "under engineered" ie.... Trigger guard assy. , gas system, fire control group.
    You may never have a problem with any of these- but it doesnt take much to break them or get them out of whack.
    I guess the last reason for loving the AK - I can actually tell that I'm hitting the 100 yard target. I dont have to get out the spotting scope to see the holes! :smile: Seriously - for 40 cents a shot or more.....I feel cheated if doesn't kick, and I cant see a big a$$ hole!
    I think my next AR...will be in 308. .....and built by a pro.

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    also what I meant by eject was to leave the barrel like its suppose to and manual means as in tap out with a rubber mallet or cleaning rod
    So you're referring to a stuck case as a "jam"

better way of making my point:

73 countries have adopted the M16 as there standard rifle
    +/- 8 million made
    109 countries have adopted the Ak47 as there standard rifle
    +/-75 million made
    +/-100 million Kalashnikov pattern rifles overall

this is just military versions

Are you referring to this graphic at the link? http://tacticalgear.com/ak-47-vs-ar-15

The AK is cheaper and easier to produce. It's also been around longer. Higher numbers aren't a surprise.

GlockGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would say pretty much the same thing as these guys scoop up an AK NOW at a great price and then build your AR slowly to your specification. Just my 2 cents

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm the fan of an AR all the way. If you keep it clean no issues. In a bind just squirt clp on the bolt and you will be good to go till you can clean it. I am swayed towards the AR since that's all I've dealt with really. Shot some AK's on semi and full auto when I got to play with the special forces communities. Wasn't really impressed with the platform. Now the SCAR, both models, are spectacular. No direct impingement and just a lot better feeling.

We would always hit the mechanics up for carb cleaner down range. Made quick work cleaning the guns. Just my .02 worth.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have both and like both. 7.62X39 usually less than 5.56. Unless you get a piston AR, you must keep cleaner than AK. AK's r like glocks. Will run dirty, wet, etc. AR's will run for a little while but will cause issues if not kept clean. I know, some will argue, just like some will argue that Chevy is better than Ford, but opinions aside, most AK's will keep running in dirty environments where most AR's will not. Piston AR's will run longer than non-piston AR's for sure and good one's will probably run as long or longer than some AK's. Of course this varies. On the other said, some argue that 5.56 is too light and requires multiple shots for stopping power. And while the heavy round has it's advantages, check on watch 5.56 does to ballistic gel. Anyways, that's my 1 cent. And Glock haters can send me opinions, but I have shot most modern handguns and did not bellieve all of the hype about Glocks, until I got one.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Screw it, just get a bolt action 30.06. Reliable, accurate, hard hitting and reach out and touch capabilities. You're welcome. ;)

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Finally got around to reading most of this post.

I must be lucky, never had a problem in either platform but sitting at the shooting bench I haven't gotten either platform dirty.

At the J meet and greet I did have an AK mag failure from a bad spot weld that caused a failure to chamber then next round.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't know much about eather one but they claim you can teach a 15 year old kid in 15 min how to take care of an ak.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    image.jpg
    I got mine dirty

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      77.2 KB · Views: 154

Garpo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    To me, an AK looks good when it's a little dirty and the finish is mostly worn off.
    I need to take all the tacticool stuff off of mine, scuff it up a bit and revert back to old school - maybe even wood furniture.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To me, an AK looks good when it's a little dirty and the finish is mostly worn off.
    I need to take all the tacticool stuff off of mine, scuff it up a bit and revert back to old school - maybe even wood furniture.

Then throw it into a pile of other AK's and grab one randomly. That's how they're distributed, right? lol j/k Only issued ones are.handled that way in third world countries to tweener troops, from what I understand.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats a Romanian kit I welded together it defiantly has the third world look to it.

Top Bottom