• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no idea which one I want to buy first. AR or AK? If I buy an AR I will be building it from the ground up. If I buy an AK I am buying the Milled Centurion 39. Of course they both have pros and cons. Anybody that has an AK please speak why you love it because I have only shot few but for some reason that weapon system appeals to me more. Now with the AR platform I have had plenty of experience with it and for the AR guys speak out too. Also if you have both which one do you prefer? Geez this is like picking whether I wanted to carry a shield or an xds for conceal carry. Any ideas?

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would probably do the AR first since it is a build but be ready to jump on the best AK deal you can find. AR and AR parts are cheaper than before the scare so you can do well. It will give you the time it take to get a good deal on an AK.

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a lot of hands on time with the AR platform but I love my AK. This was a tough decision for me also that the AR won out on. It took me a few years later to get my first AK cause I was so focused on AR builds.

However you may want to get into an AK asap. The cost of AKs will probably increase with the recently announced sanctions on Russian.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Ultimately, both, or you'll always wonder whether you have the right gun.

Which first? AK, just so you'll have a rifle, then build your AR at your leisure with good parts instead of rushing just so you can have a gun. Although, used, complete ARs are very cheap right now.

I like the caliber of the AK and the simplicity and user friendliness of the AR. YMMV.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started with a wasr and its the one gun i have always held on to. The ak is a solid gun and a good platform to learn on, cheaper too and you cant break it, but once you get the chance grab an AR, honestly you need both but I would say start with an AK and work your way up.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone. I was also looking at prices of ammo to for a 1000 rounds 7.62X39 seems cheaper by $100 than some reman .223 ammo I find online and 5.56 seems always more expensive, plus my ole lady loves to shoot!!!!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ak all the way!
    That milled centurion is a good deal right now.
    My ak is my favorite weapon for almost all purposes within 140 yards.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    That's badass. I Can Has Muzzle Flash!

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Try steel cased 223. Runs fine in a chrome lined AR, just as cheap as. 7.62x39.

With all due respect Dan, but it is not advisable to run steel-cased ammo in an AR. Yes, a lot of guys do it because it is cheaper to shoot than good brass-cased ammo, but the AR platform was never designed for steel-cased ammo. Some ARs may run it just fine, but many others do not. Additionally, the steel-cased ammo causes premature wear on the extractor and has some chambering issues. I have been shooting the M16/AR15 for 36 years. I have never, nor shall I ever, run steel-cased ammo in any of my ARs. I have more respect for my ARs than some people.

As far as the issue of which to get first, that is entirely your decision. As some have said, buying an AK now will give you time to source your parts for building an AR. That is good advice. When building an AR to your personal taste, it can take a while to source all the components you want. There are just so many options available. At one time, I had six AKs (now down to two) and I have a couple dozen or so ARs (many of which I built). If you need any info regarding AR components and sources, drop me a line.

The Pitt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With all due respect Dan, but it is not advisable to run steel-cased ammo in an AR. Yes, a lot of guys do it because it is cheaper to shoot than good brass-cased ammo, but the AR platform was never designed for steel-cased ammo. Some ARs may run it just fine, but many others do not. Additionally, the steel-cased ammo causes premature wear on the extractor and has some chambering issues. I have been shooting the M16/AR15 for 36 years. I have never, nor shall I ever, run steel-cased ammo in any of my ARs. I have more respect for my ARs than some people.

I don't want this thread to turn into a steel case vs brass ammo debate but if your AR shoots steel ammo then by all means shoot it. It takes thousands of rounds to wear out a barrel. The money saved in shooting cheap ammo has been shown to more then pay for a new barrel. How many people are honestly shooting 50000 rounds out of a single barrel anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3UfG960

Check out the video. Not trying to argue I just dont want people misinformed and be able to make their own decisions.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I don't want this thread to turn into a steel case vs brass ammo debate but if your AR shoots steel ammo then by all means shoot it. It takes thousands of rounds to wear out a barrel. The money saved in shooting cheap ammo has been shown to more then pay for a new barrel. How many people are honestly shooting 50000 rounds out of a single barrel anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3UfG960

Check out the video. Not trying to argue I just dont want people misinformed and be able to make their own decisions.

Nor do I. I just hate to see new AR owners put their hard-earned money into a nice weapon and feed it garbage. That is what AKs are for. They are designed and built to withstand low grade ammo. ARs are designed and built that way, regardless of what some think. Like I said, I value each and every one of my ARs, just like I value my car and my wife. I take pride in each. As far as the OPs choice, he can do what he likes. After all, it will be his AR. What ever his choice of AK, feed it Wolf poly ammo all day long. That is what mine is fed.

Saiga .223 conversion

Armory USA SSR-85C-2 / 7.62x39 (Bulgarian)

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom