• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I actually buried it all the way and it ran, think I had to rack it once to get the sand loose but put a couple mags through it. Thats the beauty of the AK they can handle the dirt and mud and keep on running. But as long as you keep your mag in and the dust cover shut an AR will do the same thing, ive tested both. The AR wont work if it gets a lot inside it but with the cover shut and a mag in it the internals stay cleaner than you would think.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Case of natty light, hammer, welder, think a grinder was involved, used tape to head space it, then took it in the yard and did a mag dump.

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get as much as you can afford... both even if you just buy parts. No telling what the current regime will do before it leaves office.. as each president has done something to screw the American gun buying public...

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have yall ever heard of the CZ-58, it looks like an AK but has features of the SKS, AK, and AR all mixed together. Shoots 7.62x39 but uses lighter aluminum mags like an AR. Has a safety selector that is easier to use and can be modified to a switch like an AR. Its all milled, not stamped, and is lighter than an AK. It shoots soft by using a SKS style short stroke gas piston system that is tilt locked and non rotating like the sks and FN FAL. It also uses a striker fire control group instead of a hammer. Ill try and get pics later.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Have yall ever heard of the CZ-58, it looks like an AK but has features of the SKS, AK, and AR all mixed together. Shoots 7.62x39 but uses lighter aluminum mags like an AR. Has a safety selector that is easier to use and can be modified to a switch like an AR. Its all milled, not stamped, and is lighter than an AK. It shoots soft by using a SKS style short stroke gas piston system that is tilt locked and non rotating like the sks and FN FAL. It also uses a striker fire control group instead of a hammer. Ill try and get pics later.

You mean this thing?
    http://youtu.be/WIRN_XKMyhI

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    VZ 58. CzechPoint sells them as close to the original as you can get. Century does the vz2008 but there seems to be be some inconsistencies in the quality of those. It's a cool platform. Doesn't have the AK following so not as many accessories for it.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The czech points and CAIs are all made from the same parts kits, the centuries have a reversed safety switch and allow the use of the bayonet. From what ive tried to find out most of the people that say the czechpoints are better base this on anything from century must automatically suck. I opted for the century because ive always had good experience with them so far.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I've handled both. Only shot the czechpoint. It was a much better fit and finish. YMMV.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I liked the finish on the czechpoint better. Action felt smoother. Disassembly was easier. The 2008 took a lot of "coaxing" to get apart and back together. I preferred the furniture on the CP as well. The receiver was already drill/tapped for a rail mount. You're also getting a chrome lined, hammer forged barrel with the CP.

The receiver is original czech. You may or may not care. Guys do the same thing with AKs. You can get a waffen werks 74 that does all the same stuff a izzy 74 will do for half the cost. Some guys prefer the izzy.

The czechpoint is definitely more expensive but I'm ok with that. At $400 you can get a 2008 with 5 mags from palmetto. That's a great deal.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Katanga,

Wondering if you've had a chance to read the link on 58 vs 2008. Did you get a "good" century?

I've been contemplating getting one of the 2008s from Palmetto. It's tough to pass up for $400.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Frank,

There's adapters that will take m4 style stocks. Original options were fixed or folding. You can get the m4 style in fixed or folding with or without the slant. Lots of options.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got a folder but I would prefer the wood though, I was gonna pick it up yesterday but have to wait till tomorrow. The stocks are easy to change and I think FAB defense makes that adapter which is basically a threaded end plate to screw in an AR tube and mount a 6 pos stock. Only problem aftermarket parts are pricey but Im interested if it will be everything its cracked up to be. Bad part is Im gonna have to run through another case of ammo testing it out.

Top Bottom