• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Am pondering the TAVOR as a night hunting gun. I understand that this weapon was designed for the CQB thing. Looks to me that it is a inner house/down the hallway gun actually. HOWEVER .... was wondering what the "normal" effective range is.(MOA while scoped) Given that this weapon is chambered in 5.56X45(and others that I would not consider),wanted to get some feedback on basically the MOA at out to 200yds. The military standard is 4MOA but was wondering if the weapons capabilities was < or > that.

I have scoured the internet and the weapon has mixed reviews. However the trigger is considered awful by pretty much everyone. There again,for down the hallway shooting how great of a trigger do you really need ?? AND --> wondering iffen it could possible be tweaked ??

BUT ....... any gun that has the switch bbl option has me wondering just how accurate it could be. I am somewhat experienced with the "bull pup" designed weapons. Bushmaster 17,Steyr Aug,and a couple of others. They are CQG guns also,however I used to shoot the AUG out to 300m with pretty good accuracy. Not MOA but MOM(minute of man).

I am looking for short and compact. The AR pistol(yeah right,don't wanna be the test case) with the SIG brace is a no-no for me. So is a SBR(tooooo damned high above the radar). A 14.5-14.7" AR with a brake PINNED to the OAL of 16 is definitely an option. However even with a collapsable stock the OAL of the gun would still be kinda long.

Sooooooo....... has anyone tested the TAVOR as far as accuracy goes ?? What will they shoot ?? --- SAWMAN

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    2 MOA red dot with 62gr out to 75yd for zero was approx 3 MOA. Only did it once. I'm sure with some magnification it would tighten up. Better ammo may help. A lighter trigger would help a lot. I don't think your MOM is going to be a problem. The barrel interface is pretty solid. It's not as easy to swap out as the AUG barrel, but I can't say for certain if that translates into a more stable platform. There are a couple of "mods" on the bull pup forums that pertain to the barrel. There's contact points at the charging handle and a collar over the barrel that helps secure the handguard. Guys have removed the collar to help the barrel "free float" more.

Personally, I think the AR style points a lot easier. The Tavor is compact no doubt but it's heavy. The trigger upgrades are behind schedule. There are some Timney's in the wild but it seems that there may be some issues with those. The trigger was built heavy for a reason but I'm not using the rifle for it's intended purpose so I'd like to have a lighter trigger.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    I saw a video from the show "Futureweapons" where the shooter (former Navy SEAL) was able to hit a 300M target standing and unsupported. The shot hit just to the left side of the head. This was from the SBR version the IDF uses. If that can be done with the SBR version, I would anticipate better results from a 16" barreled version. Of course, it all boils down to the optics and the shooter. There is not a gun made that can shoot all by itself. Someone has to point it in the right direction and pull the trigger. Skill is going to dictate how good they really are. I have no problems hitting minute of head with mine at 100 yards with my little VORTEX SPARC micro. As far as night hunting is concerned, how far away do you realistic anticipate shooting a hog?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks much for the feedback guys. Thanks Nate for the PM. Might just slip on over. Can't today ..... doing some WW stuff at the base. Thanks Dan for the offer. Once I learn more just might invite you and your weapon out to the club and give it a try. I have some 5.56X45 API(blue tip),can I shoot that ??

The ranges that I am looking for for night hunting is 200yds. I can quite effectively put a hit on a 50lb hog or a grown yote with my thermal at that distance. I have installed a support strap ("gunners belt")in my Bad Boy Buggy and I hang my weapon from that and shoot from the seat. This is why I really need: 1. SHORT 2. LIGHT(easy to maneuver,get into position,and swing) 3. SEMI-AUTO(for the multiple shots on both the critter above). Had two hogs step out Sat. night. (DAEZEE had abandoned me) BTW ----> fawn in distress works great nowadays.

ANYWAY ....... the TAVOR seems to be a great gun for what it was designed to do. I will freely admit that I am expecting it to do "something other than". --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC01005.jpg
      DSC01005.jpg
      261.3 KB · Views: 450

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Great looking ride! I'm working on getting a Sig 556, which might possibly fit the bill as a buggy gun as well. Yes, Sir, anytime.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Two hogs step out...just my luck! I am in Georgia now. Got one armadillo last night at the nursery that has been experiencing damage from them...happy plant nursery owner...if we get a hog, we get to use the nursery owner's game processing building for cleaning and cutting it up. Saw two other possible dillos, but they disappeared among the plants before we could get closer.

Plan on getting a tour of the ranch with pigs today. The owner says the best time is around sun up, but he does not have night vision and thermal like we do.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Yeah, it's a bummer about the trigger, cuz it sucks. And the cheek weld position relative to the optics rail is stupid. Lol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So Dan are you selling it yet?

I can deal with the trigger, and I know that the trigger gurus will figure it out eventually.

I tried putting an Eotech on it, and it felt like I was having to push the stock up into the back of my sinuses. NOT cool. I'll try a riser or a taller one, designed for 1/3 cowitness on an AR. If that doesn't work, yes, I'll sell it for $1600. I can't run regular red dots because of the astigmatism in my right eye, they look like just a huge blob to me. We'll see.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The rail height I don't mind. The AR height is just a little high for my taste (I like troy micros on a standard AR). The Tavor takes a little massaging with the risers.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Standard AR height with a standard eotech in absolute cowitness works great for me. My head may just be too big for the Tavor. We'll see.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    From the center of bore line to the center of my thermal's objective (50mm) is right at 3.250 inches. Sooooooo.....ya'll are saying that this just might work with my thermal --> ??

And ..... good writup on the trigger. NO BULLSHIT ... I like that. I could probably live with an 8# NO CREEP pull if not a "ker thunk" let off. I will not pay $350 for the Timney that fer durn sho. I am a pretty good tinker'er. Dremmel Time !!! --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    From the center of bore line to the center of my thermal's objective (50mm) is right at 3.250 inches. Sooooooo.....ya'll are saying that this just might work with my thermal --> ?? ---- SAWMAN

I think so, only one way to find out for sure though.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah ......... I'm just affraid that I'll get attached to your gun .. you'll eventually want to sell it .. asking price will be $1800 .. AND I'LL PAY IT. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    #1. Dave told me yesterday that he only charged you $1450 OTD for the gun. ..... AND #2. Your above "If and when" probably should be "If OR when" shouldn't it ?? :nono: ---- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    1450? No way!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom