• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Now we can stay logged into the forum, and post without even having to put the gun down. That's a winner!
    Lol.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nate ....... Re. your above ..... to me,the bullpup design,especially with my 30oz. thermal,would be extremely side to side "tippy" given it's OAL. Especially since it seems that the majority of the weapons weight/mass is in the rear 2/3rds of it's length. Weather or not this would be a problem is unknown. It is a concern though. Since I am used to a longer weapon the TAVOR would take a little getting used to. (Learning curve ?)

Got a chance to fondle a AR/pistol yesterday that had a 8'ish inch bbl,a KAK tube and a Sig brace. The LOP was impressive. This combo's adjustability would allow me the proper eye relief for my thermal and to properly balance the weapon fore and aft. I am wondering if this could be properly accomplished with the TAVOR.

At some point I will have to take advantage of some of the extremely kind offers here and actually handle the weapon. Much thanks to all who have offered me information that will ultimately allow me to make an informed decision on my "tools of the trade". --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nate was at the range today, and brought a Tavor in 5.56mm for me to play with. He had done the "remove a spring from the trigger group" modification. Fired it with and w/o a suppressor. Did not get any gas in the face from the suppressor (Nate had better blocked off the opposite side ejection opening than how it comes from the factory to prevent gas from coming out and hitting the right hand shooter's face since he shoots some with his suppressed). Found I could fire it offhand at 50yd at dirt clods and pieces of clay pigeon as well as my 300BLK SBR AR with its MUCH better Geissele trigger. I did not put it on paper. Practiced sitting down and holding/raising it up (simulating hunting from the electric buggy seat). Compared oal to my 300BLK SBR set up for pig and coyote hunting and where the hand guard is in the oal. Found it might be too short in that one would have to lean further forward to support the rifle on the front rail of the buggy.

When held up to my shoulder it seemed lighter than when picking up the rifle before it goes to my shoulder. My SBR felt more front heavy when up against my shoulder (both rifles had suppressors mounted) (both suppressors weigh within an ounce of each other). Yeah, I liked it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What was the OAL of the TAVOR vs your SBR with the stock pulled out to the proper eye relief for the thermal ?? --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    What was the OAL of the TAVOR vs your SBR with the stock pulled out to the proper eye relief for the thermal ?? --- SAWMAN

Without suppressors mounted (the 2 suppressors at the range were different lengths), the Tavor was about 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" shorter than my SBR with the stock extended). Note: the range Tavor had the birdcage flash hider removed and a suppressor mount/flash hider installed. I think the mount installed may be a hair longer than the standard birdcage flash hider. Tavor oal about 26 1/2"; my SBR 29 3/4". My SBR 300BLK has a 9.5" bbl.

FWIW The day before I choreographed my 5.56 65gr Sierra Gameking loads at 2426fps average out of a 10" 5.56 bbl and 2782fps average out of a 16" bbl.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With a AR/SBR,the short bbl and pistol gas really take velocity away from the loaded ammo. This,weather it is in a 300BLK,6.8SPC,or 5.56/223 chambering. A real plus for the TAVOR is you still get the velocity of a 16.5 or a 18' bbl and the short OAL of the weapon. Haven't run the numbers but ......... wondering if a 16.5" TAVOR would equal or exceed the energy of a 10.5" SBR chambered in 300BLK. AND ..... how would a 18" TAVOR stack up against a 8 or 9 inch 6.8SPC.

Especially since the TAVOR is a 1:7 twist bbl and some really excellent >62gr .224" bullets are produced nowadays.

The above should keep DAEZEE awake 'til at least 0200. :popcorn: --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Found out some new info re. the TAVOR yesterday. Called IWI and asked if I could get a 18" WITHOUT the bayonet lug. Answer --> NO
    Asked if they planned to come out with a ODG model. Answer --> NO,not in the near future.

Tried a set of Blackhawk rings on top of the TAVOR. These rings were for a scope with a 1" main tube. They were the EXTRA HIGH rings. They are a full 1" high. Not high enough for the TAVOR. I would guess that a 1.25" high set of rings would work great.

The TAVOR comes apart easy and goes back together easy. An engineering marvel. After examining the trigger "pack" I am fairly convinced that it can be worked down to 5-6lbs or so. The model that we tested yesterday .... WITHOUT the "extra" trigger spring, tested at 10lbs 4ozs(average of 5 pulls with my Lyman digital gauge). I(we)have to keep in mind what this weapon was designed to do. How it was designed to be used. If your job is a house to house kicking down doors thing,a heavy trigger is a must. This gun was never meant to be a single well aimed,precision shot, type of weapon. --- SAWMAN

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thought I would revise this thread now that some folks have used these Tavors for a while. Any follow up reviews out there? I saw this vid and it made me wonder - of course it doesn't take much much to have interest on a gun. http://youtu.be/TgWWPB8Zd8Y

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Still love mine. Still has the factory trigger too. I do want to change out the optic at some point. I have the VORTEX SPARC on it right now, but I want to replace it with a MEPRO-21.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Lovin' mine. Added the Geissele trigger pack. Need to clean my chamber with a chamber brush every 4-500 rds or I can have a failure to extract. Stock interferes with wearing muffs, so I wear ear plugs. 1500+ rounds out of mine now. I gage the bbl throat for wear and have found zero wear so far...must be some good bbl steel + chrome lining. No parts breakage, but I did get a spare parts kit from IWI.

Top Bottom