• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I think I'm succeeding. Stopping smoking that is.

I'm starting this thread in hopes that maybe other members on here will get motivated to do the same. Lots of thoughts, no particular order.

My habit was between 1 and 2 packs a day. Been smoking for 35 years. Never seemed to bother me for most of that time but over the last 3-4 years it seemed to.catch up to me on several levels.

Here's thoughts on why I finally nutted up.and did something about it.

First: Health. I know I'm getting older but damn, by 4:00 I was just flat beat every day. This irritated me as I'm the kind of guy that would get home from work at 5:00 and really get stuff accomplished. Household projects, hobbies, yard work. It was nothing for me to not even slow down till 9:30 or so. I know I'm older but the slow down just seemed to be catching up faster than I thought it should. My dad is 84 YO and that man still does yard work all day. He quit at the same age I am now and he's just amazing for his age.

I got the usual talking-to by my doctor. Had a minor bout with pnuemonia a while back so he had me checked, X rayed, the whole thing to check my lungs. Of course he didn't paint a pretty picture but he reluctantly told me that lung capacity, oxygen levels, heart rate and BP were better than they should be. This made me more determined to change since it gave me hope that quitting might not be too late for me.

I did notice when I went to bed at night, when the house got real quiet, I could hear myself breath. Momma also said I was snoring and it was getting worse.

The smell: We.don't smoke in the house but have a sun room on the back that was a smoking area. Over the last year that room stinks. Its bad when I notice it. This Fall im pulling the carpet, new flooring, walls painted.and everything scrubbed. After that any smokers on my property that want to light up will go outside, I don't care if its 10° or 100°.

Of course I couldn't smell it on myself but I can on others and my work trucks stink inside. I'm bad about smoking and driving, a nervous habit. I got my new truck about 6 weeks ago and it is so pristine, leather interior, just smells like a brand new car on the showroom floor and before I even laid down the cash I vowed to never light up in it or allow anyone else to. Every time I climb in the cab I'm reminded how much better it is to drive a clean vehicle. I used to be embarrased for anyone to get in my vehicles if they didn't smoke. I've burned a hole in the upholstery of every vehicle I ever owned. Eff that too.My instrument panel in my main work truck is almost unreadable. The chemicals from cigs fogged the plastic lens. The inside of the windshield is always dirtier that the outside. Enough to make you want to puke.

Cost: Momma and I both smoked. I burned more than she did but we spent around $350 a month on cigs. Eff that! That's a new AR every two months, a decent 1911 in three, a car payment, serious house remodelling, travel funds, just a horrible.waste of money with zero return. I finally had a hard look at the finances involved and its just ridiculous. And cig prices are going to always go up. The cost didn't seem to put a dent in my lifestyle. I mean, never had to live paycheck to paycheck (at least since my 20s), never worried about bills or food on the table but damn! All the goodies I could have bought. My dad said it best one day: "Do you know any wealthy people that smoke?". Uh, no.

Being a slave: Always gotta be sure there's a pack around. Got your lighter? Anytime you leave the house you gotta take inventory. Getting low on smokes, climb in the car and run to the store. Stuck in a smoke free motel? Trudge through the lobby, down the elevator and out into the parking lot. At a party or get together? Slink off like a second class citizen and find somewhere to hide. Butts: At work I would field strip them and put the pieces in my pocket for later disposal. Damn you smell good with a dozen of those in your pocket! Find an ashtray, walk all over looking for a butt can. Stop what you're doing to light up or go.somewhere you can. On and on.

Well, some thoughts on why I decided to quit. Next post later today I'll detail what steps I took to quit, what I've discovered about me and smokers in general and the changes I feel.

In the meantime everyone is invited to give me a reason to NOT quit if you currently smoke, or if you're reformed, add to my untouchable argument TO quit.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Congrats!!

I roll my own for $7.15 a Carton(takes 1 hour), my Grandmother died at 98 smoked all her life, I do not believe the Government on the ill effects, they lie about everything else...LOL Now I keep smoking just to piss off the anti smokers zealots!

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    good luck man. my ol lady quit after 15 years. im glad i never started smoking cigs. i have plenty enough bad habits as it is.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats! You outlined many great reasons but #1 would be health and just feeling better for me. Why live out in the country for fresh air and then intentionally suck in carbon monoxide. While many think a smoke calms the nerves it is medically proven to increase anxiety as well.

I was an occasion smoker when I drank but had a horrible dipping habit. Been quit for 6 or 7 years but it wasn't easy. Waking up with night sweats and just a horrible person to be around for the first couple of weeks. I was very thankful to be done with it when I saw a can of Copenhagen goes for 7 bucks these days!

Keep it up you'll get through the cravings. My Dad chewed on straws while driving for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrats!!

I roll my own for $7.15 a Carton(takes 1 hour), my Grandmother died at 98 smoked all her life, I do not believe the Government on the ill effects, they lie about everything else...LOL Now I keep smoking just to piss off the anti smokers zealots!

I'm not one of those people that looks down on someone else for their lifestyle (except crackheads, druggies, criminals or someone living off the govt. teat if they're able bodied). I'm just bringing the subject up because of the changes I see so far and there is no question that non smokers are healthier.

I'm also the first person to distrust anything the government says but there is no question that there ain't nothing good coming out the back end of a cig.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good job Sean! I wish Ihad quit before I married Laurie. I never thought about a new AR every couple of months. You'd think we'd have a pile of cash laying around since we both gave it up, but we always seem to find something REALLY important to use that money on.
    On the other hand, Frank has a good point about trusting the government and pissing them off.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Congrats. I smoked for 25 years and quit using the patch. Then went through a divorce and started back when things got rough. I lost my dad to lung cancer in 2000 and the last promise I made to him was to quit smoking. I did it and have been smoke free for the last 13 years. You are right, it stinks and you do not notice it....but when you do.... Hang in there, it will be tough at times but remember why you are doing it.

Idoono

JGH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good for you Sean. I quit so many years ago that I don't remember how many. The worst thing about quiting, every time I walk into a grocery store, WalMart, or anywhere they have a butt can at the front door, it almost makes me barf from the smell. The longer you are quit the less frequent and the less intense the urge for a smoke will be. Hang it there. It's worth it.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish you great luck sean !!!
    I've been clean 4 years now. I quit cold turkey and kept a open pack in my pocket with a lighter for
    testing my will-power everyday for 3 months. never not once took one out !!

I have never looked back......I hope you do the same :rockon:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Figure Rick will see this at some point and add to the discussion. His constant mention of "drug addicts"(smokers) and constantly chewing ass at the RC field over butts on the ground added to my desire to stop. He really made me feel shitty over the habit and for that Rick I thank you.:hail:

Hipower

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Congratulations Sean. There's no better time to quit than now. My stepdad quit cold turkey and used mint toothpicks to substitute for the finger habit. Seems that smokers have to have something to do with their hands too and the whole procedure of taking out the pack, smacking it on the hand, lighting up, etc. is a whole protocol in and of itself. These are just my observations since I haven't smoked.
    A bully once forced me to smoke a puff when I was six. I coughed and never wanted a taste of that again. Guess he did me a favor. I've seen too many friends and family members taken down by smoke. My stepgrandmother died of emphysema, uncle died of emphysema and lung cancer, but never gave up smoking even while on oxygen!!!! What does that tell you? He died running into a tree with his car and I was never sure whether he committed suicide or just blacked out one day. My biological father ended up in Hospice and he wanted to go fast, so he even took the pain pills the nurse would give him, not swallow and then throw it away once she left the room. It's a sad way to go if you last that long. Some people live a long life while smoking, but I'll bet they are in the extreme minority. Just being able to breathe better is a great reason to quit and give your lungs a chance to heal and get back your sense of taste and smell is its own reward. I wish you the best in quitting. I know it isn't easy for everyone.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sean my son took me out on Father's Day and got me the vapor pen I have gone from a pack a day to 3 packs since last Thursday and fixed to go get the less nicotine flavor I started on 24 mg of nicotine and I'm toning down to 18 or maybe even 12 I've just about cut out the smoke when I'm bored feeling and now I'm working on the after meal one.
    Good luck to you

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well Sean, you know how I feel about tobacco use and I'm tickled obamaless that you're giving it up. And congrats to all those that have quit. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life so I don't know what the addiction to it is like but judging from some of the folks I've been around it must be pure hell trying to shake it.

I credit my father for making me so anti-tobacco. He used to drag me to smoke filled honky tonks then get pissed because I cried about my eyes burning so bad. God I hated those places, as a kid.

So keep it up, glad to see you're taking that step.

Oh yea, didn't mean to make you or anybody feel shitty, you should have the right to do whatever you like to your own body as long as it doesn't adversely affect anyone else. It's just that smelling it, trying to work where there's bacckie spit all over the place and seeing all the drug users waste products littering the flying field and pretty much everywhere in public is an adverse effect. Just stop at a light and look at the butt piles on the side of the road. Littering and inconsideration of others is my only beef with the puffers/dippers.

RH

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh hell Rick I'm glad you did. I was messing with you a little though, you never made me feel shitty, mainly because I actually agreed with you anyway. And I've never been one to throw butts on the ground and it does piss me off to see them in piles or scattered around. Very disrespectful. I have decorative butt cans by the front, side and back door at the house.and there are still people that flip em into my yard when we have cookouts. Now THAT really pisses me off. I have a step daughter that always threw hers on the ground no matter how many times I pointed out all the ash trays and buckets. I think she did it to piss me off so ......... I collected them for a while and one day she came over with her new truck. I put them on the front seat so she could take them home and enjoy.

Hopin4aboat

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife is in the process of quiting, she hasn't had a smoke in a month or two but has been using a vaporizing pen started on 24 and is now down to 12mg and hasn't been a monster to be around. I would suggest it to anyone who is quitting that has problems with withdrawals.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom