Patriot Mobile

Appendix Carry - Anyone prefer this method?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been carrying inside the waistband at 4 o'clock for 2 years but have recently been experimenting with AIWB carry. After losing about 15 pounds my still rather substantial gut shrank just enough to do it comfortably. Standing and walking around it's extremely comfortable and as long as I don't slouch sitting down isn't bad. I've been able to drive this way and the accessibility while sitting is a huge advantage imo. Only done it with the Taurus G2 Millennium in a pchip kydex holster from Deadeye Luke. Anything larger might present problems I imagine.

The draw-stroke seems so much more natural to me as well. There's an economy of motion with less wasted movement versus reaching up and to the back. Clearing the cover garment with the weakside hand is much simpler and reliable as well. The gangsters might actually be on to something here. Concealability is far greater as well. No worries of obvious printing or the shirt riding up over the gun when bending forward.

Just curious if anyone else carries this way on a regular basis and how it has worked for them over time.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't like it. Not a comfort issue. I was taught to never point the muzzle of a gun at anything I don't want to destroy.
    With a gun in the front waist band, it's pointed at things I don't want to destroy every time I sit down.

But that's just my opinion. I also have a friend that has a habit of resting the muzzle of his shotgun on the toe of his boot when we're out in the field. We've called him on it and he still does it. They are his toes and he can shoot them off if he wants to. But he better realize he's going to ride in the back of the truck to the hospital... No bleeding in the truck.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't like it. Not a comfort issue. I was taught to never point the muzzle of a gun at anything I don't want to destroy.
    With a gun in the front waist band, it's pointed at things I don't want to destroy every time I sit down.

Unless you use a holster that is offset a few inches off your body it's always pointing at some part of your body otherwise people wouldn't be injured when they have an ND while holstering. If you use one with enough forward can't to not point at some part of your leg you're pointing it at everyone who walks behind you.

All that said, I've been carrying AIWB since about 2002 or 3. It's as safe as any other carry position unless you're into speed holstering, not paying attention to what you're doing when holstering, using some cheap, flimsy, soft, junk holster or are prone to having your gun go off in the holster.
    I wouldn't recommend it for anyone new to carrying or anyone prone to being careless because it isn't without consequences if you mess it up, but neither is carrying at the 3, 4, 8, or 9 o'clock positions. I've trained somewhere around 150-200 students without incident who prefer AIWB.
    All of the hype about shooting yourself in the junk just ain't true unless you're doing it wrong, it is somewhat possible to hit yourself in the femoral artery though. The one incident I'm aware of caused very little damage, entry in the lower abdomin and exit through the taint without hitting anything important. The shooter admitted to using new equipment he wasn't familiar with and jumped right in with both feet without paying attention to what he was doing and got his t-shirt caught in the holster.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Hell no.
    I'm too fat and I like my testicles right where they hang.

Appendix carry is for thinner and braver men than myself.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell no.
    I'm too fat and I like my testicles right where they hang.

Appendix carry is for thinner and braver men than myself.
    You are half right. It doesn't work if you have a large middle, that is true. The fear of a gun magically going off by itself is a bit foolish, however. If you are using a holster that is even remotely doing its job, how could the pistol fire?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Happens all the time with safety-less plastic fantastics while re-holstering.

NO THANKS!

On both accounts. Cocked and LOCKED for me.

Oh, and NOT pointed anywhere near, you know...

Last edited:

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Happens all the time with safety-less plastic fantastics while re-holstering.

NO THANKS!

On both accounts. Cocked and LOCKED for me.

Oh, and NOT pointed anywhere near, you know...
    All the time? Really? And when it happens, it is not the fault of the gun, the holster or the carry location. It is "operator error", when someone reholsters rapidly and/or carelessly. The same sort of errors that will result in an ND regardless of any other factors.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Well, no, not ALL THE TIME. IIRC, it does happen more often than with proper pistols though.

I guess it's just a comfort level thing.
    To each his own, but to answer the OP:

HELL NO!!!

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Donr,
    You're right. It's almost always pointing at something.
    But if the worst should happen, I'd rather it be along the outer layers of one of the glutes and nowhere near the jewels or the femoral arteries.
    Not that I plan on it happening, but I have a habit of trying to minimize risk where possible.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and I'm not afraid of it magically going off. I'm afraid of the most likely cause:human error. We all make mistakes. If I ever make that mistake, I'd want it to be as minimally destructive as possible.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh, and I'm not afraid of it magically going off. I'm afraid of the most likely cause:human error. We all make mistakes. If I ever make that mistake, I'd want it to be as minimally destructive as possible.

You're more likely to have it go off putting it in a holster located from 3 o'clock rearward because most people can't get a clear view of their holster at the 3 or 4 position and the cord toggles on jackets that tend to get inside the trigger guard are usually located at the 3 and 9 position. At appendix I can visually check my holster is clear before I put it in.

I'm not going to try to convert anyone, just trying to dispel myths myths that just simply aren't true, but are propagated by the internet. If someone isn't comfortable carrying that way, they shouldn't carry that way. It's pretty hard to speak with authority on a subject without experience in the subject.
    I started carrying this way after a back and shoulder injury where I couldn't get my hand back to the 4 o'clock and after I trained with it a while and when I got better and was able to do it in FoF I decided to stick with it because it was easier to combat a gun grab, it was marginally quicker out of the holster, and it was easier to conceal a full size pistol.

Up through the mid 90s nearly all ADs were from "proper pistols". Why is that; because revolvers, 1911s etc. were the most widely used handgun. Today Glock, M&P, and Xd, are more widely used than a 1911 so it stands to reason there would be more ADs with them.
    In training classes I see about 30-40 Glocks for every 1911, probably 25-30 M&Ps for every 1911, and maybe 15-20 Xds for every 1911. Change 1911 to any other all metal pistol or revolver and the numbers are at least double those for the 1911. In the last four years I have had one BHP that I can remember, maybe 6-7 Sigs and the only revolvers were bugs.
    Most accidents happen when re-holstering with someone either not taking their finger off the trigger or with an article of clothing or equipment getting inside the trigger guard during the process of getting it back in the holster; those are training issues not gun issues. About the only ADs I've seen coming out of the holster were with Serpa holsters because of where it places the finger to release it.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not so worried about shooting my junk off or femoral artery with a negligant discharge. I'm a big believer in rigid kydex holsters. To hell with the finish my carry gun is a tool and nothing more. I've seen a few reports of negligent discharges due to worn leather holsters folding in and catching the trigger. As Don alluded to I'm finding with the holster in my front workspace it's much easier to clear the garment and visually verify a clean re-holster as well. Behind the hip is all feel and a little awkward unless you are gumby.

Just got back from a shopping trip to Wal-Mart and am definitely appreciating the concealment when bending over to load dog food on bottom of buggy etc. No worries of inadvertently brandishing. I know it's not illegal buy you never know how people or cops will react. A veteran in Vegas was gunned down by some overzealous police while shopping at Costco because a shopper got a glimpse of his handgun which he had on his hip inside the waist band.

I always dismissed the idea before but am finding it very practical after giving it an honest try. I dang sure can't gain anymore weight though. I'm right on the threshold and it probably wouldn't hurt to drop a few more lbs.

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry aiwb from time too time. More so when I am wearing summer clothing like shorts and a tee shirt. I'm not ridiculously over weight but I have noticed that bending over and sitting down would be more comfortable if I'd loose about 20 pounds or so. The quick awnser too this was to just take a spare kydex holster for my glock 21 and mount it too the center console of my truck (it's a little loose but it will retain my 19 as well). That way when I am sitting in my truck my gun isn't digging into my beer gut starter kit. During the winter time or if I am wearing looser fitting clothing like a button up fishing shirt I'll just carry iwb at 3 o'clock. Once again if I am sitting in my truck my gun goes into the hard mounted holster, though this time for ease of access instead of comfort.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've been carrying this way for a couple years, everything from a airwieght to a 5906.
    As far as blowing off anything I want to keep, well, I don't use a holster about 90% of the time. Unless it's a snub held upside down pointed at my armpit, it's a snub naked in a pocket or a 3913 stuffed behind my belt buckle. I am by no means recommending this to anyone, I'm just stating that from everything between sitting, standing, walking, working on cars, mowing the lawn etc it's the perfect balance of comfort, speed and cheapness for waistline carry.
    I recommend something with a bobbed hammer and outstanding corrosion resistance.

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been carrying this way for a couple years, everything from a airwieght to a 5906.
    As far as blowing off anything I want to keep, well, I don't use a holster about 90% of the time. Unless it's a snub held upside down pointed at my armpit, it's a snub naked in a pocket or a 3913 stuffed behind my belt buckle. I am by no means recommending this to anyone, I'm just stating that from everything between sitting, standing, walking, working on cars, mowing the lawn etc it's the perfect balance of comfort, speed and cheapness for waistline carry.
    I recommend something with a bobbed hammer and outstanding corrosion resistance.

They only have them for Glocks and M&P's but checkout the Raven Vanguard 2 if you own either of those. $34.95 and it will fit all your guns. I've found it great for appendix carry. The retention is very strong and it really snaps in. You could shake me upside down by the feet and the gun will stay put. I like it because it lets the gun shift around a little when you move and sit. Also great for carrying in a backpack or console.

http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit/

mooosie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use appendix carry when driving the car or the tractor because it is easier to draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom