Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey frank t what's the different 6.8 and 6.8spcII

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The old spec for the rifle when Remington introduced it was a SPC. Since then, it was improved, longer throat, better twist rates and higher pressure to SPCII, there is some custom tactical ammo that you should not run in a SPC barrel and if you reload you really want a SPCII barrel. Saying all that, most factory ammo made today is safe to run in the SPC barrel, like I said unless it say Tactical load..

The SPC barrels are not made currently, all that I know of manufacturers are making SPCII barrels. The twist rates were 1-10 now 1-11 is preferred as is the 5R rifling...UNless you are looking at Bison Armory where he has a 1-7 barrel for subsonic suppressor use which is designed to make the 300WTF irrelevant..

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was looking at a upper on model 1 sale and want to see the different. I want to use it for deer and hogs

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK, the bottom line either will do you well and will kill hogs and deer. I can build a custom barreled SPCII upper for 700-800, flat top, best barrel, free float, will be more accurate and will be a better for resale rifle. OR I can buy a $525 Stag upper complete and kill the same number of animals with it...all personal preference and desire. Today I would not buy a SPC barrel on purpose because there is just no reason to. That is all my personal preference as a SPC barrel will kill everything I can w my SPCII barrel.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok I'll look into that can I didn't want to spend a lot of money thanks I'm get with you on the upper for $525.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like Franks says its all personal preference. I was on active duty when this was being developed and the Army along with the rest of SOCOM did there home work with this round. I have been using this round since it was made available to the public and my 6.8s are all the regular SPC versions. I reload all my own ammo and have taken my share of deer and hogs with my rifles and they are super accurate, especially my Ruger SR 556 6.8 and my Barrett Rec7, two hundred yds is a warm up. I like Frank love this round, so go get one and start having some fun! Chaos

Update: Rec7 is SPC II, my Bad! Getting old i guess!

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    For those wondering:

There are currently 4 different chambers for the 6.8 SPC which yield different results. They are:

The Remington SAAMI submitted specifications. It has a .050 freebore, 45 degree cone angle, .278 diameter freebore.
    SPC II is current standard chamber used by most barrel manufactures. It has been said to be very close to the original Enhanced Rifle Cartridge Program chamber. It has a .114 freebore, 45 degree cone angle, .278 diameter freebore, .3085 neck.
    6.8x43mm (renamed 6.8 ARP)(DMR has been replaced by 6.8x43/6.8 ARP,both are/were created by AR Performance.). It has a .095 freebore, 45 degree cone angle, .2775 dia, and a .3085/.309 neck.[Proprietary]it corrects the 80 degree cone angle most SPCII chambers have
    Noveske Mod 1 designed by Noveske Rifleworks LLC. It has been said to have a .100 Freebore.[Proprietary]

Only the rifles chambered with the newer specified chamber (6.8mm Spec II, Noveske Mod 1 and 6.8 ARP chambers) can safely use the higher pressure military/tactical and near max-maximum handloaded ammunition. Those rifles using the Original SAAMI specs should only be used with the standard commercial cartridge pressure (Specified by SAAMI)

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Newest addition to the rifles:

6.8 Engraved Nickel Boron Bolt carriers. It's a full auto profile carrier coated by fail zero

Attachments

• 68carrier.jpg
      68carrier.jpg
      89 KB · Views: 176
    • 68carrier2.jpg
      68carrier2.jpg
      75.6 KB · Views: 183

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yep I have never had a hog or deer move after being hit with one of these...best ammo, best expansion in the SSA barnes lineup as far as I am concerned.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It's ASC for me. I have both the 5 shot and 10 shot. They are both the same size. I mark the floor plate of them with either a "X" or a "V" to tell the diff.

And if you do not like the black stuff that is applied,you can take it off with rubbing alcohol to leave a brushed stainless finish. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom