• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWC Makes Major Changes To Deer Hunting In Northwest Florida

April 21, 2014

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has passed changes that divide the state’s Hunting Zone D (from Pensacola to Tallahassee) into two deer management units (DMUs), each with a unique set of antler-point requirements and antlerless deer harvest days.

These changes take effect during the 2014-15 hunting season and are part of a larger, statewide project aimed at managing deer on a more local level and providing stakeholders with a greater say in deer management.

The FWC conducted a public outreach and input process in northwest Florida beginning in early 2013. Since then, the Commission has received substantial input and comments from hunters, farmers and the general public regarding how they would like to see deer managed in the newly proposed DMUs.

As a result of this outreach process, the FWC passed rules for both public and private lands in both of the DMUs in Zone D, with Interstate 10 being the dividing line between the two DMUs. South of I-10 will be called DMU-D1, and north of I-10 is DMU-D2.

Now bucks harvested south of I-10 in DMU-D1 must have antlers with at least 2 points (each point having to be at least 1 inch long) on one side and at least one antler 5 inches or more in length.

North of I-10 in DMU-D2, the minimum antler requirement is now 3 points (each point having to be at least 1 inch long) on one side and have at least one antler 5 inches or more in length, or have an antler with a main beam length of 10 inches or more.

The rule includes an exception for youth to the increased antler requirements in both DMUs whereby hunters 15 years old and younger may continue to harvest bucks that have at least one antler 5 inches or more in length.

The Commission’s action also changes the antlerless deer season (“doe days”) on private lands within Zone D. During antlerless deer season, does may be harvested as well as bucks with less than 5-inch antlers. But it is illegal to take spotted fawns.

In DMU-D1 (south of I-10), the antlerless season was reduced to four days consisting of two popular holiday weekends (the weekends after Thanksgiving and Christmas).

In DMU-D2 (north of I-10), antlerless deer season was lengthened to eight days distributed across four weekends (Saturday-Sunday after Thanksgiving, first weekend of muzzleloading gun season, third weekend of general gun season and the weekend after Christmas).

The purpose of modifying the antlerless deer season was to spread out the hunting opportunity, so that more hunters could participate without reducing deer populations. These changes will be monitored to measure any impacts they may have on deer harvest and hunter satisfaction within each DMU.

jgodwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ok, i know someone will say what a dumba$$ but i am not comprehending the whole antler and point definition. is this saying 4point or better south of I10 and 6 point or better north of I10? either way i do like the way they split up and extended the doe days. thanks for posting bac3996

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the minimum and applies to at least one side. If a 5" or longer buck walks by and at least one side is forked, with each point at least 1" long, south of I-10, in DMU-D1, during a season where its buck only, he's legal.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wish they had gone further for deer quality in FL. We have almost no proper management and that is why the deer are small in size and racks, the ratios are off...poor FWC management plan!

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hell if you can find a place to hunt cross the line into GA AND KILL 12 YES THATS 12 10 does and 2 bucks.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Fl you could in fact kill a deer or 2 a day for the entire season, no reporting, tags, nothing, you can extend your hunting dates as we are the last to open up here. and as you can see even by the new regs there is not much of a restriction.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never heard of a state that you didn't have at least a tag even if you didn't have to report it. Ga want's to get there Doe population cut down that is why you can kill so many does but only 2 bucks.

Sounds like you need some new people in your DNR if you have no idea of what is being killed. How can they set the horn length thing with what they know. Do they at least have a survey of the hunters to see what is being killed,how many deer seen,no of days hunted or do they just throw a dart to set limits?

Sounds like fools that don't even hunt set your regs. Wouldn't be the first state that way.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No tags, no reporting, little enforcement especially on private lands. There is sorta a 4 in possession limit but who has had someone from the State come to their hose and open the freezer?

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No one unless you get turned in. Don't tell how many you shoot Frank.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Be careful what you wish for. The same people on here that wish for less government intrusion on one hand want more government oversight on the other hand. Can't have it both ways as far as I am concerned.

Top Bottom