• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was going to wait and order a punch set before attempting but I watched a few videos and read a little and decided I could do it with a few hand tools, was a lot simpler than I thought it would be, got a couple Knicks on the bolt release tabs, getting that thing started was the biggest pain (not to worried about any scratches). But once it was started it went in like butter. This will be a pistol so no stock, got the Thordsen tube cover and CAA saddle on order so once I get that in then my lower will be completely finished. Will probably buy a completed upper, not quite sure yet on that. But I'm satisfied for now.
    temporary-28.jpg

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Well done. Yup. It's just like Legos. I'm about to build a dedicated slide fire lower. The lower is certainly easier with the right tools, but not necessary, you just gotta watch that bolt release. Electrical tape helps. Good job!

BTW, you NEED tools for the upper.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea I taped a little, I used the vise grip method and slipped a couple times and scratched. No biggie, it's not a high end build by any stretch so I wasn't worried.nothing a little sharpie couldn't cover. I do still be a wrench for the castle nut on the tube, it's just hand tight right now.
    I used a PSA LPK and everything fit good.
    Yea I am sure I'll buy a complete upper, pretty sure I'll get the Hardened Arms 7.5 upper. Probably will get that last, gonna get my BCG and Charging handle next.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your buffer tube looks line a regular adjustable mil spec tube. I'm not 100% on this but I think you need a pistol buffer tube or it's not legally a pistol as you can slide a stock on it. Better check just to be safe.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its kind of grey area with that, it just can't "readily" accept a stock. A lot of guys just wrap theirs and it's completely legal, I'll be using a thordsen cover and adding a CAA saddle, comes with approval letters from the ATF. So 6 screws will have to be removed to allow the cover to come off to then be able to accept a stock, so since it's not easily convertible makes it ok to use a adjustable stock extension
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/shop/AR-PISTOL/p/AR-PISTOL-BUILDERS-PACKAGE-x3003761.htm

That's what I'll using.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ Wow, that is clever!
    Any idea if there is any trouble running the pistol gas system with a rifle buffer?

Also, does the sig gadget fit on a carbine tube?

I've been toying with the idea of building a pistol.

BTW, I just put mine together. The proper tools make the bolt catch and takedown pins SOOO much easier. I didn't even tape off, and it is flawless. Well, well worth it. I got my builder tool kit for $100 at Mike's. So, well worth it. Now mine is just waiting for David at TGD to get me my SlideFire Stock.
    uma3y8e4.jpg

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yea I taped a little, I used the vise grip method and slipped a couple times and scratched. No biggie, it's not a high end build by any stretch so I wasn't worried.nothing a little sharpie couldn't cover. I do still be a wrench for the castle nut on the tube, it's just hand tight right now.
    I used a PSA LPK and everything fit good.
    Yea I am sure I'll buy a complete upper, pretty sure I'll get the Hardened Arms 7.5 upper. Probably will get that last, gonna get my BCG and Charging handle next.

I've got most all the tools needed to build an AR, including the upper.. You're welcome to borrow them. PM me if you're interested.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ^ Wow, that is clever!
    Any idea if there is any trouble running the pistol gas system with a rifle buffer?

Sometimes you need a heavier buffer and an enhanced extractor to get a pistol-length gas system to function correctly. I had to do both of those things on my 7" pistol.

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the SigTac Brace will only fit on a pistol buffer tube.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ Wow, that is clever!

BTW, I just put mine together. The proper tools make the bolt catch and takedown pins SOOO much easier. I didn't even tape off, and it is flawless. Well, well worth it. I got my builder tool kit for $100 at Mike's.

1) If I understand correctly, pistols use carbine gas system ergo carbine buffer system, not withstanding TenJeeps statement above

2) Sig gadget uses pistol tube only (smooth all around, no channel on the bottom)

3) What tools did you use on the bolt catch pin? Ive used both roll pin punches with roll pin starters, and the vise grip method and still have a little trouble with them.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1) If I understand correctly, pistols use carbine gas system, ergo carbine buffer system

They generally use a carbine-length gas system if the barrel is longer than 10", but they use a shorter pistol-length gas system if the barrel is under 10". The gas port is at 7" on a carbine system and 4" on a pistol system.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got most all the tools needed to build an AR, including the upper.. You're welcome to borrow them. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks a lot, hopefully next time I try I'll have my own.

I thought about using the Sig brace as well, but at $130 I just didn't want to pay that much, because I would of also got the KAK industries buffer tube made specifically for it and that runs about $80 I think, so $210 roughly on just the buffer assembly wasn't what I wanted to spend. I have heard it is awesome though, everybody really like the thorsen cover as well.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ^ Wow, that is clever!

BTW, I just put mine together. The proper tools make the bolt catch and takedown pins SOOO much easier. I didn't even tape off, and it is flawless. Well, well worth it. I got my builder tool kit for $100 at Mike's. So, well worth it. Now mine is just waiting for David at TGD to get me my SlideFire Stock.
    uma3y8e4.jpg

Looks great, what parts kit did you use? I used a PSA kit and you can see from the pics that the parts are way different color compared to the receiver, not as drastic of a difference in person compared to the pic but definitely different. Sitting next to my stag rifle you can see the difference. Not anything I'm to concerned about but I just haven't seen them be so off before.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I used the CMMG parts kit. I have used the PSA kits a couple of times before, and I like this one better. It's correct coded and it just seemed to go together a little faster (most likely just me and the tools though). I used it because it's what David at TGD had in stock. Glad I did though.

The tools are from The Wheeler Delta Series Essential Armorer's Kit.

On the left is the gadget for the from take down pin. On the right is the bolt catch tool. It's like a punch with a hole going halfway through it to hold the roll pin. Except, I used a drill bit from the front to line everything up and I put 2 nylon punches between the tool and the mallet, so that I would not hammer near the receiver and finished it with a small punch at an angle.
    u7ezagev.jpg

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd like to see this: put 2 nylon punches between the tool and the mallet?

Can't picture this being stable?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    ^ right. This was once the pin had been started with just one of the nylon punches behind the tool (at an angle). Once that happens, I just held the 2 punches at the point where they meet. Unlike my previous builds, nothing took much force at all, except for the trigger guard. Again, it could just be the tools and experience.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Huh. I don't doubt you, but all of my bolt catch pins have been tight. Might be the quality of the kits I'm buying, because after I mangled one on my first build, I bought a replacement, and that one went in much, much easier

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea when I was doing mine I couldn't see how the pin would fit at all, both ends seemed wider than the hole. I slightly tightened one end a little to get it started and it went in good after that. I will probably go with a stag kit on my next one, heard good thing about their kits too, and that front pivot pin was a pain too, kept shooting the detent onto my floor.

bfisher1970

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A little oil on the roll pins makes them go in much easier.
    Front pivot can be done by hand but I put a clear plastic bag over over the job to catch flying detents. Those things are tiny!
    For the bolt catch pin I put a thin microfiber towel over the receiver up to the ears and start the pin with a 1/4" brass punch and hammer. Once it's started I use a pin punch with the little knob on the tip to keep it from slipping.
    For the trigger guard I have a piece of a firring strip (1x2) for under the ears and a wadded up rag under the rest to level it.
    I love putting together lowers....It's theraputic for me. If anyone needs help I'd be happy to show you or even do it for you.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea when I was doing mine I couldn't see how the pin would fit at all, both ends seemed wider than the hole. I slightly tightened one end a little to get it started and it went in good after that. I will probably go with a stag kit on my next one, heard good thing about their kits too, and that front pivot pin was a pain too, kept shooting the detent onto my floor.

Dan1612's earlier post shows the pivot pin detent install tool set. I think I paid $10 for mine on Amazon. Makes things a little easier, although I have had pretty good luck with the razor knife method as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom