• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have been metal detecting lately anyone else on the forum into metal detecting and want to hit up some parks or beaches, or have some info on good areas to take a look at. Got my hands on a Whites XLT and really enjoying learning the ropes with it.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've considered it, there's a local club that's associated with a coin shop in town. Other than the beach, which is probably well picked over, I wouldn't know where to go.

Hunting gold or meteorites would be the ideal MD excursion IMHO. Let me know if you find something interesting.

Rick

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have hit the beach a few times but only find new coins I am more interested in old coins wheat pennies Indian heads, anything with silver in it. I would love to detect on some old properties around Pensacola or Milton or even in AL. So far I have hit up a few parks and pulled up these.

Attachments

• coin 1.JPG
      coin 1.JPG
      66.6 KB · Views: 244
    • coin.JPG
      coin.JPG
      46.7 KB · Views: 241

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think it would be fun but wouldn't know what to get or where to go either. How much does a decent detector run? Itf it is worth it, I may have to divert some reloading funds to the cause and make another hobby

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have hit the beach a few times but only find new coins I am more interested in old coins wheat pennies Indian heads, anything with silver in it. I would love to detect on some old properties around Pensacola or Milton or even in AL. So far I have hit up a few parks and pulled up these.

Do you normally get a find each time you venture out? I collect older coins and wheat pennies and that looks like a decent haul but how many hours did you log to find it? I know it wouldn't be a get rich quick hobby but would juat want to make it worth while you know.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Went out today and pulled up the key pictured worthless but I like finding interesting looking keys also collected about 73 cents worth of change nothing old but it is still fun to pull any change outta the dirt!

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Some good detectors can be had on craigslist just have to find the right deal and do your research on the detector. Yes all that change in the pictures was found over a few different trips I enjoy the hobby though it is always great to pull out some dirt covered coin wondering weather you just found something special. Most of the time just normal new coin or trash pull tabs will become your enemy lol

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally would go to dog parks (a lot of ladies venture there and they're the ones who drop jewelry) or creek beaches.

I've Found some really cool stuff over the years just happening upon it (British settlement coin) and Indian artifacts

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I've often thought of getting a metal detector but figured everything had probably been picked over by now.
    Seems like some of the old settlements ( by old I mean from the 30s and 40s) that have reverted back to woods would be a good place.
    A guy I work with was building a house in the historic district several years ago and let a guy detect on his lot.
    He found a rusty old revolver.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bet you could find alot of stuff on the 2 creeks Adventures Unlimited and Bobs Canoes tube on.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    hmmm that is a good idea Heist any idea on the depth in those. Any on here have any property that they wouldn't mind me detecting on I fill in all the holes I dig and take any trash I dig up with me.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most people party on the sand bars and the creeks arent deep in most places.. Maybe 2-3ft average.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nice I may have to check those out this weekend I am sure I could find some interesting items, but also an ungodly amount of beer cans, tabs, bottle caps lol!

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When I get home from work I'll post some pics of my finds...platinum, gold, silver, iPad and cash to...use to haul in around $70 a yr and that was parks and beaches...more into water detecting now and picked up a yak to head into local creeks and rivers...run a Whites MXT Pro on land and a Tesoro Sand Shark for water...avg a few rings a year. The more you go the more you may find...been detecting about 8 yrs now know most rules/laws and like to get out...grand-kids and shooting have slowed me a bit from detecting...

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well if any of you guys are ever over in Jax I will pay you to find my wedding ring. Was cleaning fish a couple weeks ago and it slipped off my finger while I was throwing guts into the woods. Yeah my wife was real happy about that..

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Some of my finds...1) Arabic Ring, 22K found in pubic park in Pensacola, 2) Silver ring found in water at local creek, 3) Gold kids bracelet found in public park, 4) Platinum Mens Ring found in water at local beach

md arabic ring.jpg

md creek.jpg

md gold bracelet.jpg

md platinum ring.jpg

Attachments

• md arabic ring.jpg
      md arabic ring.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 145
    • md creek.jpg
      md creek.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 148
    • md gold bracelet.jpg
      md gold bracelet.jpg
      110.6 KB · Views: 147
    • md platinum ring.jpg
      md platinum ring.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 144

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I can remember two news stories of interest concerning local metal detecting in the past several years.
    Probably 7 or 8 years ago somebody found a Milton class ring in the water at the park on Pond creek. It was lost in the late 60s I think. The owner was found.
    Then probably 5 years ago somebody found a Naval Academy ring from the 60s in the sand at Navarre Pier. Seems like the guy actually lost it in something like 1965 when he was stationed here.
    He also was tracked down. That was awesome for the detectors to do that.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ric-san that is sweet! I haven't found any gold yet but I did find that silver pendent. Gold from what I read and practiced on is kind of a tough one to locate as the numbers tend to be in mid # range by far though when I am change hunting nickel's are the toughest to correctly identify. Silver and copper tend to be the easiest to locate, lol wish I could find more of the silver though.

Top Bottom